+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone won't activate after restore/update?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hello everyone, First, I apologise for any english mistakes and for my lack of knowledge on any of this matters. I have an iPhone 3GS which tomorrow morning was running
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello everyone,

First, I apologise for any english mistakes and for my lack of knowledge on any of this matters.

I have an iPhone 3GS which tomorrow morning was running on iOS 4.something version, with 06.15.00 baseband, jailbroken and unlocked. I did none of this to it, as a matter of fact it happens I don't know how to. Nevertheless, I decided to try to update to iOS 5.something and I read some posts and articles on how to do it. So I thought I had to update the iOS from iTunes and then jailbreak and unlock the iPhone all over again for myself. I sure was wrong. My iPhone is now stuck in the activation process, and it won't activate no matter what. iTunes is saying the there's no SIM card message. I guess I downgraded the baseband of my device from the iPad to another one and now I can't do anything.

Can someone help me or is my iPhone gone?
    I don't know much but I can follow instructions

Thanks, and please tell me anything you need to now,
    savemyiphone

Hi again,

Update on this. I installed TinyUmbrella and it says I'm on iOS 5.1.1 version but still on 06.15.00 baseband.
    Last edited by safemyiphone; 07-19-2012 at 12:21 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by safemyiphone View Post
    Hello everyone,

First, I apologise for any english mistakes and for my lack of knowledge on any of this matters.

I have an iPhone 3GS which tomorrow morning was running on iOS 4.something version, with 06.15.00 baseband, jailbroken and unlocked. I did none of this to it, as a matter of fact it happens I don't know how to. Nevertheless, I decided to try to update to iOS 5.something and I read some posts and articles on how to do it. So I thought I had to update the iOS from iTunes and then jailbreak and unlock the iPhone all over again for myself. I sure was wrong. My iPhone is now stuck in the activation process, and it won't activate no matter what. iTunes is saying the there's no SIM card message. I guess I downgraded the baseband of my device from the iPad to another one and now I can't do anything.

Can someone help me or is my iPhone gone?
    I don't know much but I can follow instructions

Thanks, and please tell me anything you need to now,
    savemyiphone

Hi again,

Update on this. I installed TinyUmbrella and it says I'm on iOS 5.1.1 version but still on 06.15.00 baseband.
    I'm under the assumption you are not using an "official" sim card....that means you are using another carrier sim card instead of the one that was originally locked to the phone..

in order to bypass the activation you need to create a custom "hactivated" firmware, however be warned that you will probably lose GPS function and Push notification.

if you dont want to hactivate, you have to get an official sim card, like an AT&T sim, to activate it.

But if you want to continue, follow the instructions below to activate your 3Gs:

1. Download sn0wbreeze v2.9.6 here: http://gbit.mirror.devkipz.us/sn0wbreeze-v2.9.6.zip
    2. Transfer the sn0wbreeze program inside the zip file to your desktop
    3. Download the stock 5.1.1 firmware here: iPhone 3GS 5.1.1 - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com
    4. Run the sn0wbreeze program as an administrator
    5. Click on Browse for An ISPW
    6. Point it to the 5.1.1 firmware you downloaded
    7. Select New-Bootrom/I don't know
    8. Click Next and click the Simple Mode option
    9. A window will pop up asking you to "Activate Your iPhone". Click YES because this will bypass the activation since you dont have an official sim like an AT&T sim, to activate it.
    10. Wait for it to create a custom firmware for you. It will be called sn0wbreeze_iPhone_3GS-4.2.1-8C148a
    11. Click OK in sn0wbreeze, then follow the instructions to put your phone in PWNED dfu mode
    12. Once sn0wbreeze tells you it is in PWNED dfu mode, open up itunes
    13. iTunes will detect that your phone is in "recovery mode"
    14. HOLD the SHIFT key + click on the RESTORE button and point it to the sn0wbreeze_iPhone_3GS-4.2.1-8C148a firmware
    15. Let itunes restore and once its done you wont receive an activation error.

Let us know if you encounter any errors when restoring, and if you do name them specifically.

If you are successfully, then let us know again, and I will give you instructions on how to downgrade the ipad baseband 06.15.00 to 05.13.04, and it can be used to unlock your phone.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

scotty12347 (07-21-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello EVO,

Thank you so much!

I had all done and working past the activation process but with the searching or no service or no sim message. By the time I read the post I had already used sn0breeze and ultrasnow fix 5.1.1 and ultrasnow in order to try to unlock the iPhone with no luck. I'm following your instructions and doing it all over again as I messed a few things before reading your post.

I suspect you're solution is far better than mine What do I do next?

By the way, you're right I was not using an "official" carrier SIM card but I do happen to have one card from the same "official" carrier with me, just not the one that came with the device. Any of this helps?

Thank you again!

Just a thing, my iPhone is old-bootrom. And just for the sake of me knowing, I do I have to downgrade the baseband?
    Last edited by safemyiphone; 07-19-2012 at 03:54 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

Hello EVO,

Thank you so much!

I had all done and working past the activation process but with the searching or no service or no sim message. By the time I read the post I had already used sn0breeze and ultrasnow fix 5.1.1 and ultrasnow in order to try to unlock the iPhone with no luck. I'm following your instructions and doing it all over again as I messed a few things before reading your post.

I suspect you're solution is far better than mine What do I do next?

By the way, you're right I was not using an "official" carrier SIM card but I do happen to have one card from the same "official" carrier with me, just not the one that came with the device. Any of this helps?

Thank you again!
    If you have an official sim card, you dont need to "hactivate"...

from what carrier is the official sim?

And nice screen name

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just the noticed the typo in the name afterwards xD
    Official carrier is Optimus from Portugal, at least it was, I messed up this thing so bad, I don't know nothing of it anymore.

I do have the Optimus SIM card but I want to use the Vodafone card (the other carrier) as it's the one I was using before.

Thanks again!

EVO
    Thanks

if the phone was originally "locked" to Optimus, then the phone should have activated when its in the sim tray and you opened itunes to verify it

HOWEVER.....if the 3gs was "locked" to another carrier, like AT&T, and Optimus is just another carrier like the Vodafone that was being used from the unlock, then you need the official sim

So just to confirm, Optimus is the original locked carrier to the 3gs?

If it is, and its not activating, then there is a bigger issue, because when you are on the ipad baseband 06.15.00, you are NOT suppose to update using iTunes, you have to create a custom firmware

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    if the phone was originally "locked" to Optimus, then the phone should have activated when its in the sim tray and you opened itunes to verify it

HOWEVER.....if the 3gs was "locked" to another carrier, like AT&T, and Optimus is just another carrier like the Vodafone that was being used from the unlock, then you need the official sim

So just to confirm, Optimus is the original locked carrier to the 3gs?

If it is, and its not activating, then there is a bigger issue, because when you are on the ipad baseband 06.15.00, you are NOT suppose to update using iTunes, you have to create a custom firmware
    Hey,

Right now I'm back to the activation process, this time using sn0breeze. I'm not doing anything further without you telling me or I'll make some mistake.

To answer your question. My phone was bought from Optimus and it was locked to that carrier, therefore I assume that it is the original locked carrier.
    Regarding the iPad baseband, I think I did not make myself clear. 2 years ago, I took the device to a guy that unlocked my iPhone for me. I also belive he jailbroke my device, as I previously had Cydia installed. Everything was working allright until today I decided to try and update the iOS

Thanks again EVO, for the help and the patience.

EVO
    Thanks

Hey,

Right now I'm back to the activation process, this time using sn0breeze. I'm not doing anything further without you telling me or I'll make some mistake.

To answer your question. My phone was bought from Optimus and it was locked to that carrier, therefore I assume that it is the original locked carrier.
    Regarding the iPad baseband, I think I did not make myself clear. 2 years ago, I took the device to a guy that unlocked my iPhone for me. I also belive he jailbroke my device, as I previously had Cydia installed. Everything was working allright until today I decided to try and update the iOS

Thanks again EVO, for the help and the patience.
    as I mentioned, if it was on the ipad baseband "before" you decided to update it, you MUST have updated using a custom iOS firmware instead of using itunes as you mentioned in the first post

the ipad baseband is a special baseband, not really designed for the iphone because its called the "ipad" baseband

if you update the iOS in itunes, you may encounter issues, and it can range from a bunch of things, including the activation error, which I'm not saying it is.............yet

So now the question comes, DID you just created a custom firmware with the "Activate" iphone option selected?

IF YOU DID, then just leave that aside for now, because we need to test the activation on the Optimus sim. Then create a custom firmware again, but select NO when it asks if you want to "Activate" your iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

as I mentioned, if it was on the ipad baseband "before" you decided to update it, you MUST have updated using a custom iOS firmware instead of using itunes as you mentioned in the first post

the ipad baseband is a special baseband, not really designed for the iphone because its called the "ipad" baseband

if you update the iOS in itunes, you may encounter issues, and it can range from a bunch of things, including the activation error, which I'm not saying it is.............yet

So now the question comes, DID you just created a custom firmware with the "Activate" iphone option selected?

IF YOU DID, then just leave that aside for now, because we need to test the activation on the Optimus sim. Then create a custom firmware again, but select NO when it asks if you want to "Activate" your iphone
    Yes, I did create a custom firmware with the "Activate" iphone option selected.

And yes, I am in the process of creating a custom firmware again, and I selected NO when it asked if I wanted to "Activate" my iphone.

What next?

EVO
    Thanks

Yes, I did create a custom firmware with the "Activate" iphone option selected.

And yes, I am in the process of creating a custom firmware again, and I selected NO when it asked if I wanted to "Activate" my iphone.

What next?
    OK make sure to save the custom firmware with the "Activate" option in a different folder but in the same location that it was previously saved, I assume the desktop, that way this firmware will not overwrite it.

Then once sn0wbreeze creates this firmware with the "Activate" option NOT selected, follow the instructions that sn0wbreeze shows to put your phone in PWNED DFU mode, once its successful, sn0wbreeze will tell you so, if it fails, you can try again

then open up itunes, hold the SHIFT key + click the RESTORE button and point it to the custom firmware that has the NO "Activate" iphone option and let itunes restore it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK make sure to save the custom firmware with the "Activate" option in a different folder but in the same location that it was previously saved, I assume the desktop, that way this firmware will not overwrite it.

Then once sn0wbreeze creates this firmware with the "Activate" option NOT selected, follow the instructions that sn0wbreeze shows to put your phone in PWNED DFU mode, once its successful, sn0wbreeze will tell you so, if it fails, you can try again

then open up itunes, hold the SHIFT key + click the RESTORE button and point it to the custom firmware that has the NO "Activate" iphone option and let itunes restore it
    Done. It's all done to the point where iTunes displays the no SIM message. I guess I now have to insert my Optimus card and follow the activation instructions, but I'm checking with you first. xD

EVO
    Thanks

enter the Optimus card and open itunes and let it "hopefully" activate

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bad news , it didn't, I tried twice, but same happened, right before displaying the no SIM message, iTunes said something about accessing iTunes store in the top yellow message area and than it went back to the no SIM talk. I read through all the steps again, I believe I followed them correctly.

EVO
    Thanks

it "may" possibly be caused by updating through itunes with ipad baseband

what you're going to have to do now is restore using the Activated custom firmware, this should bypass the activation but you may lose GPS and push notifications, if you can live without it, then go for it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it "may" possibly be caused by updating through itunes with ipad baseband

what you're going to have to do now is restore using the Activated custom firmware, this should bypass the activation but you may lose GPS and push notifications, if you can live without it, then go for it
    Sure I can, I already had GPS problems, and I'm not sure of what push notifications are. Now that I think about it it may very well be that there were already issues with that. Anyway, I'll try the 2nd option.

Ok, last step is done. What should I do now? And by the way, thanks again EVO.
    Last edited by safemyiphone; 07-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

go through the normal steps of setting it up and once it gets to the activation process, it should bypass it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes it did, I'm now on the usual iPhone menu, but there's no connection, it's says "No Service".

EVO
    Thanks

ok I think there is some confusion with activating and unlocking, those are 2 separate issues and I'm beginning to think you're on the unlocking issue versus the activation issue

Can you, if possible, post a screen shot of what you mean?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok I think there is some confusion with activating and unlocking, those are 2 separate issues and I'm beginning to think you're on the unlocking issue versus the activation issue

Can you, if possible, post a screen shot of what you mean?
    Sure, sure. I think I've just activated it and now I need to unlock it, right?

iPhone won't activate after restore/update?-img_1001.png

What I mean is on the top left corner of the screen, I get the No Service message instead of the usual network strength bars.

EVO
    Thanks

was that the "original" problem?......or was the original problem the "activation" part?.....because from your original posting, it sounded like it was an "activation" issue and not an "unlock" issue

I think both of us may have spent more than adequate time thinking of opposite issues..

If the "unlock" issue is the case, then just do ONE more restore back to the firmware with the NO Activation feature. This will ensure you wont lose GPS

Then once you're doing restoring, and activate it using the Optimus sim, I will walk you through downgrading the baseband so you can unlock and get rid of the "NO SIM" message

I apologize I did not read your original post fully, I thought you were having an "activation" issue but it appears based on the picture its an unlock issue