+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I upgrade my jailbroken 3gs iphone?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I learned how to unlock and jailbreak my iphone 3gs on this forum. Now it's nearly 2 years later ( ), and some of the newer apps aren't supported on
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can I upgrade my jailbroken 3gs iphone?
    I learned how to unlock and jailbreak my iphone 3gs on this forum. Now it's nearly 2 years later (), and some of the newer apps aren't supported on my current iphone firmware. Is there a way to upgrade my iphone software to the new itunes without bricking my phone and without having to lose my current apps and settings?

I have an Iphone 3gs, Version 4.0.1, 05.13.04. I am using a T-Mobile plan on my iphone. Appreciate the help!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmmm... Well you could take it to 5.1.1.... However you may find that some of your older apps won't work with it... I guess it depends on how many apps you have really...

Personally... I'd make notes of your most important apps, & create a no baseband 5.1.1 Ipsw & start afresh & install your apps again... That way it's a clean install That's a personal preference though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

modonee (07-15-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    Hmmmm... Well you could take it to 5.1.1.... However you may find that some of your older apps won't work with it... I guess it depends on how many apps you have really...

Personally... I'd make notes of your most important apps, & create a no baseband 5.1.1 Ipsw & start afresh & install your apps again... That way it's a clean install That's a personal preference though
    @Susty

Have no idea what you mean by the following, " no baseband 5.1.1 Ipsw & start afresh & install your apps again... That way it's a clean install." I'm definitely a novice in this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

It means you run Redsn0w to build a N0_BB ipsw of 5.1.1, put iPhone into pwned dfu mode , run iTunes : shift + restore to this custom firmware of 5.1.1 to preserve your current baseband to by unlocked by Ultrasn0w after your jailbreak.

You need to update iTunes to the latest if you haven't done so.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

modonee (11-11-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    It means you run Redsn0w to build a N0_BB ipsw of 5.1.1, put iPhone into pwned dfu mode , run iTunes : shift + restore to this custom firmware of 5.1.1 to preserve your current baseband to by unlocked by Ultrasn0w after your jailbreak.

You need to update iTunes to the latest if you haven't done so.
    How do I run redsn0w and do all of the above you mentioned?

Thanks

You can't use the method as i described anymore. If you have 5.1.1 blob, you can use latest redsn0w to restore to 5.1.1.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

modonee (11-12-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks iYeow. Sorry if I'm being too simplistic, but I really don't know what 5.1.1 blob is or how to figure out whether or not I have it.
    I still have my iPhone 3gs, and I am hoping I won't have to get a new iphone for a year or so.
    Here's what I know about my iPhone,
    Version: 4.0.1
    Modem Firmware: 05.13.04

I can give you other info that I see on the "About" page of my iphone.

You can't use the method as i described anymore. If you have 5.1.1 blob, you can use latest redsn0w to restore to 5.1.1.

Thanks

On the front page of Cydia you should see all available blobs. If 5.1.1 is listed, then you can restore to the firmware.
    This is what you do to preserve your baseband.
    Run redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and create a custom ipsw of 5.1.1 and will be placed on your desktop named N0_BB ipsw of 5.1.1
    Now run redsn0w again to stitch this CFW to 5.1.1 blob.
    Put iphone into pwned dfu mode and restore in itunes: Shift + Restore

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

modonee (11-12-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The front page of Cydia for me says
    SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3.5, 6.0.1. I don't see 5.1.1. What does this mean?
    Thanks again.

On the front page of Cydia you should see all available blobs. If 5.1.1 is listed, then you can restore to the firmware.
    This is what you do to preserve your baseband.
    Run redsn0w 0.9.15b3 and create a custom ipsw of 5.1.1 and will be placed on your desktop named N0_BB ipsw of 5.1.1
    Now run redsn0w again to stitch this CFW to 5.1.1 blob.
    Put iphone into pwned dfu mode and restore in itunes: Shift + Restore

Thanks

Then you can only restore to 6.0.1. It will be tethered jailbreak if you have the new bootrom ( if you reboot your iphone you will need Redsn0w to boot up your iphone ), otherwise untethered jailbreak for old bootrom.

To restore to 6.0.1 and preserving your baseband, you run Redsn0w 0.9.15b3, use the Restore feature and answer Yes to preserve baseband.
    Install Ultrasn0w and Ultrasn0w fixer to unlock after your jailbreak running Redsn0w.
    Last edited by iYeow; 11-12-2012 at 10:53 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

modonee (11-15-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks iYeow. With a quick Google search, it seems that managing an untethered jailbreak is more of a hassle than not since I'll have to run Redsnow every time my phone dies. Any word of when an untethered jailbreak might be available?