Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 wont boot past apple logo :(

Unhappy Iphone 4 wont boot past apple logo :(
    Hey guys I have a jailbroken iphone 4 running 5.1.1 that will load up to the apple logo then show the spinning wheel which freezes up and then goes back to the logo.

When I jailbroke my phone I used a custom ipsw to preserve my bb to 02.10.04.

I got desperate after trying a bunch of fixes (ireb5, redsn0w, and tinyumbrella) that I decided to DFU the phone and factory restore it via itunes. When I tried this i got error 1601 then I tried using pwnagetool to make custom firmwares and now I get this firmware is incompatible (even with the stock firmware).

At this point I would just like to get my phone back and functional to stock status. I've been trying for a while now to fix it myself and I am lost on what to do next. Can anyone please help me?

Quote Originally Posted by woohaah View Post
    Hey guys I have a jailbroken iphone 4 running 5.1.1 that will load up to the apple logo then show the spinning wheel which freezes up and then goes back to the logo.

When I jailbroke my phone I used a custom ipsw to preserve my bb to 02.10.04.

I got desperate after trying a bunch of fixes (ireb5, redsn0w, and tinyumbrella) that I decided to DFU the phone and factory restore it via itunes. When I tried this i got error 1601 then I tried using pwnagetool to make custom firmwares and now I get this firmware is incompatible (even with the stock firmware).

At this point I would just like to get my phone back and functional to stock status. I've been trying for a while now to fix it myself and I am lost on what to do next. Can anyone please help me?
    Welcome to MMi bud!

what baseband are you currently on and do you rely on an unlock?

Thank you EVO!

Im on 02.10.04 and I use gevysim to unlock my phone.
    I no longer care about preserving my bb as my contract is up next month so I should be able to unlock it for free (if that doesn't work I will use officialiphoneunlock)

Do you have any advice on what I can do?

here's what I suggest you do:

first check your hosts file located here: C drive -> System32 -> drivers -> etc, and open the hosts file with notepad

check for the entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com", if it's there then delete it

then download the 5.1.1 firmware here: iPhone 4 GSM 5.1.1 - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

then open itunes, hold the SHIFT key + click Restore and point it to the 5.1.1 firmware

IF that does not work, tell us the specific error, and try this:

Download redsn0w from here: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1

Create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware using the 5.1.1 firmware you downloaded

then select the PWNED dfu option in Redsn0w to put your phone in pwned dfu mode

then use the same method to restore in itunes

Ill get on that now, I'm on Osx 10.7.4 though any idea where those files are located at?

Ill get on that now, I'm on Osx 10.7.4 though any idea where those files are located at?
    just click on the link bud, and it will take you to the location to download it

if the first method fails and you need to try the 2nd method since you are on OSX, download the MAC version of redsn0w by clicking here: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1

just make sure to run it as an administrator

but try the first method first, its the easiest

Thank you evo! I was acutally asking about the hosts files but i googled it. hopefully i didn't delete anything important in my hosts file !!

Edit: wow i put the phone in DFU and this time it appears to work! keeping my fingers crossed that it fully restores! (itunes is at the Restoring iphone software stage!)
    Last edited by woohaah; 07-09-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Thank you evo! I was acutally asking about the hosts files but i googled it. hopefully i didn't delete anything important in my hosts file !!

Edit: wow i put the phone in DFU and this time it appears to work! keeping my fingers crossed that it fully restores! (itunes is at the Restoring iphone software stage!)
    no reason why it wouldnt

It's up and running!
    Thank you soo much!
    The only thing different from this time versus the last few times i tried was editing my host files.
    What difference does that make?

the "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" in the hosts file is meant to bypass Apple's server during restore.

Basically when you restore your device through itunes, it connects to Apple's server to verify that the firmware is authenticate, and the only way this occurs is if Apple is still "signing it", and that usually means when it releases a new and current iOS, it is still "signing" that firmware.

Once Apple releases a "newer" firmware, it will stop signing the older one, and typically iphones cannot restore back to older ones unless certain things are met.

Well, if those certain things are met, you can restore to an older iOS, which is where the "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" comes into play.

When you restore to an older iOS, itunes checks the server located at 74.208.10.249 instead of Apple's real server, which tricks itunes into thinking the firmware is authenticate and the latest iOS, when it actually is not.

hope that makes sense

PS Please dont double post the same issue in another thread, trust me we will see your issue and will assist you as soon as possible
    Last edited by EVO; 07-09-2012 at 05:21 AM.

Default can you help me?
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    here's what I suggest you do:

first check your hosts file located here: C drive -> System32 -> drivers -> etc, and open the hosts file with notepad

check for the entry "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com", if it's there then delete it

then download the 5.1.1 firmware here: iPhone 4 GSM 5.1.1 - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

then open itunes, hold the SHIFT key + click Restore and point it to the 5.1.1 firmware

IF that does not work, tell us the specific error, and try this:

Download redsn0w from here: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-de...edirects=0&d=1

Create a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware using the 5.1.1 firmware you downloaded

then select the PWNED dfu option in Redsn0w to put your phone in pwned dfu mode

then use the same method to restore in itunes

im using a 3gs and its on ios 5.1 and i relyed on an unlock to use the phone. but i cant seem to get past the apple logo.
    im on windows.