Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken Iphone3gs stuck in recovery mode afte accidentally updating iOS

Default Jailbroken Iphone3gs stuck in recovery mode afte accidentally updating iOS
    My wife has a jailbroken white iPhone 3GS that she inherited from her mom. Not sure what the baseband is or what iOS is/was on it. Basically, I forgot that it was jailbroken, and I accidentally tried to update the iOS through iTunes. Naturally, it got stuck while dong this, and now it's stuck in recovery mode.

I've tried a couple of things to fix it, such as downloading firmware (I took a guess and dl'ed 4.3.5), and restoring from that, or just clicking restore, neither of which seemed to work. I don't necessarily want to jailbreak it again; in fact, if it wasn't jailbroken, that would be preferable. But my wife would prefer it if I didn't lose all of her contacts.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

What error do you get when trying to restore to 5.1.1?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

scullboyknc (07-03-2012)

Is that the latest iOS? Do you mean just restoring, as opposed to doing a custom restore? I think I only tried that once, but if memory serves, it gave me a 1015 error. I'll try that again and let you know.

Thanks

So you were using custom firmware then. What error were you getting when trying custom 5.1.1?

And yes, 5.1.1 is the latest firmware.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

scullboyknc (07-03-2012)

Oh, I see what you mean. I haven't tried custom 5.1.1. Will try that and let you know.

Btw, my wife took the SIM card out and out it in her other phone b/c she needed it. Does the SIM card need to be in when restoring?

Thanks

Not when restoring no. You will need a sim to activate it after the restore though.

Wow, it worked! My wife has a working phone again! Thank you so much. I'm not sure why that worked with 5.1.1 and not 4.3.5, but it's all good.

I have 1 last question. I'm assuming it's no longer jailbroken. I can't activate it now to check b/c my wife needs the sim card. But if it's no longer jailbroken, does that mean I can update in the future through iTunes? Don't wanna have To go through all of this again... Thanks again for your help.

Thanks

If it is officially unlocked or you are using it on the carrier it is locked to then yes, you can always update to the latest firmware.
    If it was software unlocked with ultrasnow then that answer is a bit more complicated.

I had the exactly the same issue but I kinda got lost with the whole 5.1.1. thing. I bought my phone this way and so I am kinda lost as to what you did to fix it. Help?

What's Jailbreak?
    New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default undo recovery mode
    i have a problem that i just bought this iphone and it was jailbreak then i tried to restore it. There are error's they are 1603, 1510 something like that, but i would like to figure how to get it off so i can use my phone please someone can help me