+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What will happen if I click "Erase all Content and Settings" or "Reset all Settings"?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
What will happen if I click "Erase all Content and Settings" or "Reset all Settings"? My goal is to re-jailbreak and unlock from scratch with out losing the 04.10.01 BB.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default What will happen if I click "Erase all Content and Settings" or "Reset all Settings"?
    What will happen if I click "Erase all Content and Settings" or "Reset all Settings"?

My goal is to re-jailbreak and unlock from scratch with out losing the 04.10.01 BB.

Phone stats -
    iPhone 4
    iOS 5.1.1 (9B206)
    BB 04.10.01

I want to "re - jailbreak" and unlock my iPhone 4.
    It's not able to receive "push" - iMessage, Find my iPhone, etc..
    It also take crossed fingers and toes to hope it goes off the apple screen after turning it off and back on.
    I.e., some times it will boot up on it's own in a few minutes, sometimes not at all. Sometimes works after I hold down power and home, sometimes not.
    Sometimes if I leave it on the apple screen for 5 minutes or so and plug it in to my pc, it will boot a minute or so later, sometimes not.

Figure I'm ready for a clean install.

Right now it's jailbroke and I'm not sure what method previous owner used. Ultrasn0w is in Cydia sources but when I click on it the option is "Install" not "Modify".
    Also have no idea what iOS and BB the phone was originally on. SHSH's are save on Cydia and TU.
    Unlocked with Gevey sim.

Regards, Ken

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CR125Honda View Post
    What will happen if I click "Erase all Content and Settings" or "Reset all Settings"?

My goal is to re-jailbreak and unlock from scratch with out losing the 04.10.01 BB.

Phone stats -
    iPhone 4
    iOS 5.1.1 (9B206)
    BB 04.10.01

I want to "re - jailbreak" and unlock my iPhone 4.
    It's not able to receive "push" - iMessage, Find my iPhone, etc..
    It also take crossed fingers and toes to hope it goes off the apple screen after turning it off and back on.
    I.e., some times it will boot up on it's own in a few minutes, sometimes not at all. Sometimes works after I hold down power and home, sometimes not.
    Sometimes if I leave it on the apple screen for 5 minutes or so and plug it in to my pc, it will boot a minute or so later, sometimes not.

Figure I'm ready for a clean install.

Right now it's jailbroke and I'm not sure what method previous owner used. Ultrasn0w is in Cydia sources but when I click on it the option is "Install" not "Modify".
    Also have no idea what iOS and BB the phone was originally on. SHSH's are save on Cydia and TU.
    Unlocked with Gevey sim.

Regards, Ken
    performing the the "Erase All Content and Settings" will more than likely put the phone in an infinite boot loop

If you want to start from scratch, restore to a custom firmware, and jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.14b1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (06-28-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks, I've read through that procedure a few times but I couldn't find anywhere that told me what would happen if I just clicked the reset feature(s) on the phone.

I've tried the custom ipsw procedure on a 3GS a while back and it didn't work to well. Ended up having to update it's BB to 6.15.00.

If saving and installing the custom ipsw on this iPhone 4 is my only option, looks like I'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks, Ken

EVO
    Thanks

Thanks, I've read through that procedure a few times but I couldn't find anywhere that told me what would happen if I just clicked the reset feature(s) on the phone.

I've tried the custom ipsw procedure on a 3GS a while back and it didn't work to well. Ended up having to update it's BB to 6.15.00.

If saving and installing the custom ipsw on this iPhone 4 is my only option, looks like I'll have to give it a shot.

Thanks, Ken
    FYI, ultrasn0w is not installed because it cannot be used on that baseband, ie 04.10.01, that is the reason why you are using a gevey..

Download the stock GSM 5.1.1 firmware here: iPhone 4 GSM 5.1.1(9B208) - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

Then use sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware using the GSM stock 5.1.1 firmware. If you DONT have an official sim card to "activate" it, you need to select the "Activate iPhone" option.

Once the custom firmware is created, put your iphone in PWNED DFU MODE, sn0wbreeze will tell you the instructions on how to do so after it creates the custom firmware, then SHIFT + restore in itunes

FYI #2: the custom firmware contains the jailbreak so you dont have to jailbreak again

Just make sure to backup in itunes first if you have any photos, contacts, etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (06-30-2012)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Just to say, erase all content and settings and erase all settings are two different things.

Erase all content and settings erases all content, and resets all settings to factory defaults.

Reset all settings just sets all the settings back to factory defaults (it does absolutely nothing to the content of the phone)
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (06-30-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    Just to say, erase all content and settings and erase all settings are two different things.

Erase all content and settings erases all content, and resets all settings to factory defaults.

Reset all settings just sets all the settings back to factory defaults (it does absolutely nothing to the content of the phone)
    EVO says either of these might put it in a boot loop. I'm assuming that's because it's been modified (JB & Unlocked).

Don't want any part of that..

Ken
    Last edited by CR125Honda; 06-28-2012 at 06:38 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

Makes sense.. Seems like I've read that was only for 1.59.00..

I do have an AT&T mini sim that came in another phone I bought. Can it be any AT&T sim or does it need to be the one the phone used to be on?

Will do.

Thanks again, Ken
    Yes that AT&T sim is fine to use for activation..

when you use sn0wbreeze, use the "Simple Mode" option and if a message pops up asking you if you want to "Activate" your phone, make sure to select No

let us know if you encounter any "specific" errors in itunes.

FYI (again): When you restore, make sure to select the Custom firmware, and not the stock firmware, otherwise your baseband will update and you will not be able to use the gevey for unlock

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

CR125Honda (06-30-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for your help guys.. Off to dinner. Will read further replies when I get back.

Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    Yes that AT&T sim is fine to use for activation..

when you use sn0wbreeze, use the "Simple Mode" option and if a message pops up asking you if you want to "Activate" your phone, make sure to select No

let us know if you encounter any "specific" errors in itunes.

FYI (again): When you restore, make sure to select the Custom firmware, and not the stock firmware, otherwise your baseband will update and you will not be able to use the gevey for unlock
    Thanks so much.. I'll start this in about two hours.. Will let you know how it goes.

Regards, Ken

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    when you use sn0wbreeze, use the "Simple Mode" option and if a message pops up asking you if you want to "Activate" your phone, make sure to select
    Back at it..

Downloading the ipsw now.

EVO, Can you post a link to the correct version of sn0wbreeze you would like me to use. I looked in the download section here and didn't see any that looked correct. You want me to use sn0wbreeze instead of redsn0w correct?

Ken

EVO
    Thanks

Edit..
    Last edited by EVO; 06-28-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Got it.. Gettin it..

Got another 15 minutes to go on the ipsw..
    Last edited by EVO; 06-28-2012 at 09:02 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

If you have any doubts about any steps, please let us know.

We will gladly assist you!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Will do. Thanks.
    In case anyone else has this issue and reads thread for help....
    As suggested in our PM, I got sn0wbreeze at

sn0wbreeze-v2.9.6.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - ClubedoiPhone

Ok.. Everything is downloaded.. Going to take my time and read through this all again and hopefully avoid mistakes.

Ken

Thanks

EVO says either of these might put it in a boot loop. I'm assuming that's because it's been modified (JB & Unlocked).

Don't want any part of that..

Ken
    I know he was, I'm just explaining what each of them do so you have a better idea of it in the future.

Tell us how it goes.

Green Apple
    Thanks

All done! The JB went perfectly.
    The Gevey unlock took a while but I finally got it done. Phone will turn off an on without issue now.
    iPusher works, Find my iPhone works, etc..
    Still working on Facetime and iMessage. Both are "Waiting for activation"
    iCloud transfered my contacts and photos.

Can select items to put back on this phone from a previous backup?
    I've only had time to do a little research on this and it seems like backups are all or nothing unless I get another program to assist.
    Do you know if text messages are backed up?

Very happy with the progress so far. Thanks so much EVO (and all) for your help.

Regards, Ken

Thanks

Yes you can get the items back on your iPhone, you just need a backup of them. Text messages are backed up as well so no need to worry