Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Weak wifi signal after IOS5.1.1 updated

Default Weak wifi signal after IOS5.1.1 updated
    Hi, does anyone here have weak wifi signal after IOS5.1.1 update on 3GS by using custom FW NO_BB_iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore and NO_BB_iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore? I have 2 iPhone 4 baseband 4.10.01 and 3GS BB 6.15, after updated signal reception are now so weak and the wifi network doesn't even show up in the phones before they have full bar signal. Any help is appreciates. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomt2000 View Post
    Hi, does anyone here have weak wifi signal after IOS5.1.1 update on 3GS by using custom FW NO_BB_iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore and NO_BB_iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore? I have 2 iPhone 4 baseband 4.10.01 and 3GS BB 6.15, after updated signal reception are now so weak and the wifi network doesn't even show up in the phones before they have full bar signal. Any help is appreciates. Thanks in advance.
    Are you have issues with the wifi on your 3gs?.....or iphone 4....or both?

Regardless if its one or the other, or both, I am certain it is not the custom 5.1.1 cooked by redsn0w. The reason I know this is because I just did a test on my 3gs and restored using a NO_BB 5.1.1 by redsn0w, and I have full signal bars.

Another reason I know this is because I havent seen anyone else with this issue at all...

Remember that the wireless router or WAP transmit radio waves, like the way your television, microwave or radio does. So if you place the wifi device near anything that transmit radio waves, there will be interference.

Also consider the location of the device, whether its up high and not being blocked by other things.

And also consider your location from the device when you're getting a weak signal, because once again interference like walls will weaken the signal

If you put the phone right next to the wireless router, does it still get a signal, or weak signal, or no signal?

Here's one thing I can also suggest: Downgrade back to the previous iOS version using custom stitched NO_BB firmware and test the signal out

Thanks for quick response, here are what I did so far:
    I did hard reset my router and its location is fine without interfere with any other devices, I have 3 other iPhone 3GS and one iPhone 4 still get full bar signal.

I downgraded the iPhone 3GS to iOS 5.0.1 and the wifi signal does not improve so I opened the phone and found out the wifi antenna cable came loose so it fixed now.

The 2 iPhone 4 still have a very weak signal or NOT CONNECTED. If I move them close to the router then full bar show. With 30' away from router it barely shows 1 bar or NOT CONNECTED.

Last edited by Tomt2000; 06-23-2012 at 10:56 AM.

ok so at least we have eliminated that its not caused by interferences by surrounding objects, so your router is out of the question...

The iphone 4 on the left is good to go because its getting a full signal..

With the other 2, I would suggest restoring back to a custom 5.1.1 with NO jailbreak, that means using redsn0w to create a custom NO_BB firmware. Then test the wifi signal out with those 2.
    If it gets a strong signal, then I would suggest jailbreaking one with redsn0w and the other with absinthe (if it was jailbroken before).
    This will test to see if maybe one of the jailbreaking tools may be causing it.

HOWEVER, if the 2 on the right was NOT jailbroken, and restoring to a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 did not fix the issue, then I suggest restoring ONE MORE TIME, but this time to 5.0.1 (if you have SHSH blobs).
    This will tell u if its maybe a bug in the iOS (but I highly doubt it)

If nothings, then its probably an antenna issue, in which cause you may have to open it up and see the connection, or take it to apple