+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IFaith Back up and other ways to back up

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey, guys, Noob needs your help. My Iphone 4 is finally unlocked and jailbroken by Absinthe 2.0.4. I am running 5.1.1 IOS and baseband version aka modem Firmware is 04.12.01
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default IFaith Back up and other ways to back up
    Hey, guys, Noob needs your help.

My Iphone 4 is finally unlocked and jailbroken by Absinthe 2.0.4. I am running 5.1.1 IOS and baseband version aka modem Firmware is 04.12.01 .
    Now that I am where I wanted to be(iphone wise), I would like to back up my current system(unlock, jailbreak, etc) and settings.
    From my research, I figured out that I have to use IFaith. However, it doesn't support 5.1.1 version of IOS. Are there any other software that I can use to back my phone up without harming its settings?

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding the question. Are you looking to back up your unlock and jailbreak? That's something that cannot be preserved, with each upgrade or restore an unlock and jailbreak has to be reapplied. If I am not understanding correctly, can you please rephrase the question?

iFaith is used to save SHSHs of the firmware version you are currently on, it is also used to create custom signed firmwares with stitched SHSHs so that a restore can happen when Apple ceases to sign the firmware version.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not understanding the question. Are you looking to back up your unlock and jailbreak? That's something that cannot be preserved, with each upgrade or restore an unlock and jailbreak has to be reapplied. If I am not understanding correctly, can you please rephrase the question?

iFaith is used to save SHSHs of the firmware version you are currently on, it is also used to create custom signed firmwares with stitched SHSHs so that a restore can happen when Apple ceases to sign the firmware version.
    I think the OP wants to retain the unlock and jailbreak so when he/she updates to a newer iOS in the future, it will remain unlock/jailbroken and keep settings?

If that is the question you are asking, then no, except for the settings part...

You can retain your settings, the ones that you made from the Settings app, by backing it up in itunes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guys(and laddies),
    Thank you for clarifying this to me. I am trying to save my shsh with iFaith. However, iFaith is not supporting 5.1.1 YET. Are there any similar software with the 5.1.1 capability?
    Also
    I would like to back up my settings with iTunes. However, I am not sure about the adverse effects of connecting to iTunes. Do iTunes sense that my phone is jailbroken and notify Apple? I know that this question could sound silly to you, however I am paranoiac by nature - which saved my life couple times (i.e. combat deployed Marine).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You can save your SHSHs in Cydia on the homepage. You can also do so with TinyUmbrella, or Redsn0w.

If you have already saved your SHSHs before, they will automatically be saved each time a new fw version comes out, so it isn't necessary to continuously save them with any tool. You can use the tools to check your SHSHs if you'd like just to be sure.

Connecting to iTunes and syncing won't harm anything. Apple doesn't have control over your jailbreak via iTunes.