Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can i update my 4S to 5.1.1 if I'm already Jailbroke

Default How can i update my 4S to 5.1.1 if I'm already Jailbroke
    I am trying to find out how to update my phone to 5.1.1 if my phone is already jailbroken. i don't know what method was used to jailbreak it since it was already done when i received it. Every time i try to download the update i get an error. can someone please help me. what is everyone else doing for updates?? I'm a former Android guy and have converted to all "i" devices. I can hack anything with a android but the table is turned here.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Thanks

Just backup in iTunesput. Then put phone in dfu mode, and click the restore button in iTunes, not update
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Is that suppose to say back up with iTunes or is itunesput a actual program?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSpero View Post
    Is that suppose to say back up with iTunes or is itunesput a actual program?
    he made a typo with he typed itunes (he accidently added the word 'put')

You cannot install an Absinthe untethered jailbreak on any iOS which is currently jailbroken.

Think about this. You want or should always want to jailbreak your iPhone on a freshly installed iOS.

Absinthe developers even state: make sure that you have a 'freshly installed 5.1.1 before jailbreaking untethered' using Absinthe 2.0.2.

One should always install/restore/update (all three words interchange and mean the same thing which is putting or installing a fresh version of whatever iOS you choose to have running on your phone)

If you were me, or I were you, I would use the latest version of redsnow to create a 'Custom Firmware'.

Edit: 6thDAY advised:

remember he has an iphone 4s, and A5(x) devices does not contain a low level exploit which allows custom firmwares to be used, if he wishes to update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak, his baseband will inevitably be updated..

Get the apple stock firmware from iclarified.com (they have links on where to download) the ipsw files from.

After using redsnow to create a custom firmware (custom firmwares leave your modem baseband firmware version on your baseband chip untouched)

Whereas, a restore using iTunes and letting apple download a 'stock firmware' or using iTunes Shift Restore and pointing itunes to an 'apple stock firmware' can and will overwrite the existing firmware on your baseband modem chip. This can ruin an iPhones ability to be unlocked to another GSM carrier etc.

So always install a fresh iOS using a custom firmware created in redsnow. Then use redsnow to have iPhone enter DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode and then in iTunes, hold down the Shift button on keyboard and click the 'Restore' button in iTunes and point it to the NO_BB_ipsw firmware version which is the custom firmware that you created earlier.

After the install of the latest firmware you will HAVE to have an ACTUAL SIM CARD of the carrier that the phone is locked to (which will be AT&T) in most cases.

Once the phone is activated then you can jailbreak the 5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.0.2.

Everything written here is just so available in detailed tutorials all over the web. See iclarified.com and youtube as well as the MMI forums.

Good luck and congrats on being systematic and knowing and anticipating what you want to do before you actually do it on your phone and knowing what each outcome should be on your device before actually performing each prior step...

All the best.
    Last edited by zeppy; 05-31-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks

Lol sorry that was just a typo, it's iTunes
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    he made a typo with he typed itunes (he accidently added the word 'put')

You cannot install an Absinthe untethered jailbreak on any iOS which is currently jailbroken.

Think about this. You want or should always want to jailbreak your iPhone on a freshly installed iOS.

Absinthe developers even state: make sure that you have a 'freshly installed 5.1.1 before jailbreaking untethered' using Absinthe 2.0.2.

One should always install/restore/update (all three words interchange and mean the same thing which is putting or installing a fresh version of whatever iOS you choose to have running on your phone)

If you were me, or I were you, I would use the latest version of redsnow to create a 'Custom Firmware'.

Get the apple stock firmware from iclarified.com (they have links on where to download) the ipsw files from.

After using redsnow to create a custom firmware (custom firmwares leave your modem baseband firmware version on your baseband chip untouched)

Whereas, a restore using iTunes and letting apple download a 'stock firmware' or using iTunes Shift Restore and pointing itunes to an 'apple stock firmware' can and will overwrite the existing firmware on your baseband modem chip. This can ruin an iPhones ability to be unlocked to another GSM carrier etc.

So always install a fresh iOS using a custom firmware created in redsnow. Then use redsnow to have iPhone enter DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode and then in iTunes, hold down the Shift button on keyboard and click the 'Restore' button in iTunes and point it to the NO_BB_ipsw firmware version which is the custom firmware that you created earlier.

After the install of the latest firmware you will HAVE to have an ACTUAL SIM CARD of the carrier that the phone is locked to (which will be AT&T) in most cases.

Once the phone is activated then you can jailbreak the 5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.0.2.

Everything written here is just so available in detailed tutorials all over the web. See iclarified.com and youtube as well as the MMI forums.

Good luck and congrats on being systematic and knowing and anticipating what you want to do before you actually do it on your phone and knowing what each outcome should be on your device before actually performing each prior step...

All the best.
    you are correct sir!

but remember he has an iphone 4s, and A5(x) devices does not contain a low level exploit which allows custom firmwares to be used, if he wishes to update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak, his baseband will inevitably be updated..

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    you are correct sir!

but remember he has an iphone 4s, and A5(x) devices does not contain a low level exploit which allows custom firmwares to be used, if he wishes to update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak, his baseband will inevitably be updated..
    Thanks for the correction regarding 'no ability to create custom firmware for 4s/A5' reminder. :-)

so i was just getting ready to do the restore and looked here again to make sure i didnt miss anything, im looking at the last post about the A5, my whole intent of doing this is to update to 5.1.1 and then be able to jailbreak again and use myfi again for hotspot. Is this going to work or do i need to stay on 5.0? thanks again

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

MyFi will work, You can jailbreak with Absinthe.