+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backup/Restore with new firmware Jailbrake

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi ppl, with the new jailbrake on way for 5.1.1 i'm wondering how you guys do the update... actually i'm on 5.0.1 jailbroken but when the 5.1.1 jailbrake released i
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Question Backup/Restore with new firmware Jailbrake
    Hi ppl, with the new jailbrake on way for 5.1.1 i'm wondering how you guys do the update... actually i'm on 5.0.1 jailbroken but when the 5.1.1 jailbrake released i will update. I would like to keep my Settings, SMS and applications data.

Could a backup of a jailbroken device with iTunes can cause any issue when doing restore after update?

If you guys have a different way, thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Well...my personal preference is to do a DFU mode restore to new version and setup as a new phone and not from backup..but that's me...I also know all the tweaks n things I install from Cydia so no "backup" needed for that...but that's just me...you should at least do an iTunes update to start with...if everything doesn't go right u can do a restore in iTunes and then restore from backup...make sure u do a full backup before u start...I have all my contacts n calendar synced with outlook locally on my pc...I drag all my pics n vids off the phone in windows and stored in the My Pictures and My Videos folders and synced back through iTunes...and of course music n apps synced in iTunes...so I could crush this phone and still have everything...

But...that's just me...I've been on every version on this 3GS since 3.1.3...and I mean every version...5.x.x and iTunes 10.5+ puts pics back on phone all jumbled up out of order...so I'm back on 4.2.1 and iTunes 10.3 again...4.2.1 is best on 3GS!! Long live 4.2.1!
    Last edited by xboxbml; 05-21-2012 at 09:17 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i do the same way like u do, but each time i have to start from the beginning.. changing all the settings, emails.... also i would like to keep all sms...

Thanks

Yeah..I don't keep SMS, game/app data etc...I don't really care about that stuff...but like I said..that's just me...restore from backup to get all that stuff back..