Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS reboots itself randomly

Default 3GS reboots itself randomly
    Hi, I've been having trouble with 2 3GS's at home. Both of them are running iOS 5.0.1 and are unlocked using the iPad baseband (6.15.00). One is running the old bootrom while one has the new. Both of them are showing the same problem pattern, they reboot themselves for seemingly no reason. The phones' memory isn't too low when it happens, there are no cydia tweaks installed that shouldn't be. I've no idea what the problem might be and I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Do they show any message on screen before rebooting?

Nope, no message whatsoever... :-/

I have exactly the same issue. I have a 3GS 32gig. 5.1.1 with 5.15 baseband (from memory). The other day I was playing around in the springboard, and it just went black. It did it again a couple of times over the next couple of days and also kept going to the 'connect to itunes' screen. Each time it would restore fine, run for a while then reboot.

I decided to pull the main board and have a look. As soon as I had undone a couple of screws I could see that the board was under serious stress, trying to pop out of the case. Once I removed the board I could see why. The battery was swollen to double it's normal height. It must have stressed the board because now, even with a new battery, it still keeps rebooting and going into restore mode. I'm going to try and cook the board to reflow the solder joints. I'm a little pissed. The phone is cosmetically mint.

Quote Originally Posted by plm42 View Post
    Hi, I've been having trouble with 2 3GS's at home. Both of them are running iOS 5.0.1 and are unlocked using the iPad baseband (6.15.00). One is running the old bootrom while one has the new. Both of them are showing the same problem pattern, they reboot themselves for seemingly no reason. The phones' memory isn't too low when it happens, there are no cydia tweaks installed that shouldn't be. I've no idea what the problem might be and I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    the ram could be faulty, or it could be some cydia tweak incompatibility even if you think it "shouldn't be"..

here's what I suggest doing to run some tests,

if you have any important data, back it up in itunes, then restore to 5.0.1 (if you have SHSH blobs), otherwise update to 5.1.1 and test it out, see if it auto reboots or not, make sure not to install the jailbreak or cydia tweaks, and test it for a full day

if it doesnt reboot and appears normally, then apply the jailbreak via redsn0w 0.9.12b1 and test it again

do this for only one of your 3gs, so that we can see if its a software related issue or hardware