+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tracfone for iPhone (Part 2)

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
In case you're wondering, the "part 1" thread was started here: http://modmyi.com/forums/other-carri...ne-iphone.html I am trying to figure out how to get my Tracfone sim card working in my iphone 3G
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Tracfone for iPhone (Part 2)
    In case you're wondering, the "part 1" thread was started here: [Project] Tracfone for iPhone

I am trying to figure out how to get my Tracfone sim card working in my iphone 3G as shown here, iPhone 3G on tracfone service - YouTube

Details from the video poster
    To everyone wondering what I left out was it was jailbroken before I made the video but I restored it back to normal and when I downloaded the APN I popped it the sim and when I got the one little service bar I went to phone and called 112 and ended the call then turned airplane mode on and off twice and it found the service just took a while
    Some of that is easy...as in the only way to get the 06.15 BB on 3.0 FW is to run jailbreak software such as redsn0w 0.9.6b6 while on 4.1 FW and then do a stock restore to 3.0 FW. Exit recovery mode using TinyUmbrella or similar application to get past iTunes error 1015.

What I did:
    >>Get my iPhone on stock 3.0 FW in the above way
    >>Activate partially with genuine at&t sim card
    >>Activate fully with a friend's working at&t sim card to get the "iPhone is activated" message
    >>Uninstall APN settings
    >>Restart iPhone
    >>Install APN settings (Tracfone from unlockit.co.nz)
    >>Remove Tracfone battery with it still on
    >>Insert sim into iPhone
    >>See the "one bar" in the service area
    >>I left my phone on 10 minutes, it didn't change.
    >>Dial 112, then end call after 2 seconds
    >>Leave it 5 minutes...It remains on the "one bar" or toggle airplane mode immediately and...
    >>Try toggling airplane mode on and off and I get the "Invalid SIM"/"SIM failure" messages, regardless of the number of times I do it. Also, my TF sim card's ICCID disappears in Settings>General>About as soon as this message appears. The only way I found to make the message go away is to restart my iPhone.

Is there anything here I left out or shouldn't have done? Reply here or email please... [email protected]. Might voicemail or text messages be important? Right now my voicemail isn't setup but maybe it needs to be?
    Last edited by grz885; 05-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

subscribed to this thread, gonna get my Tracfone this weekend, I'll see what I can do ...
    It seems tracfone doesn't generate much attention because its security is too tight ..?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep, people give up on this topic because they know that it's never been accomplished before but now we have the video that proves it. Just make sure that your TF phone has an at&t sim card (there are easy ways to tell when you buy them in the store) because that's definitely the only other requirement. The challenge is simply to identify the "trick" that makes the sim get service in an iphone. Let me know of your progress

Green Apple
    Thanks

If I dial 112 without any sim inserted and then insert my TF sim, this automatically ends the call and "Searching..." appears. I thought for sure that this was it but the one bar symbol came back afterwards and the problems I posted before didn't go away. In a few days I'll be forced to give up on this so any help now would be greatly appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Any updates???

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unfortunately I am no longer actively involved in trying to get this to work. I will be glad to offer help to people trying it right now but my personal circumstances forced me to give up and upgrade to Straight Talk prepaid almost 6 months ago.

It would be a good idea to subscribe to this thread and my other threads that I was involved in...
    This was the original thread concerning this topic which has had a few extra posts since it was started a while back...
    [Project] Tracfone for iPhone
    I also started this other thread that doesn't have much detail but you should still monitor it in case it is the only one people find...
    iPhone 3G on Tracfone prepaid service

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you for replying.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-17-2012, 03:54 AM
  2. 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM