+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 unable to restore

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi all, I've been browsing the forum for a while trying to find a solution but haven't been able to yet. A friend asked me to help them out with
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 4 unable to restore
    Hi all,

I've been browsing the forum for a while trying to find a solution but haven't been able to yet.

A friend asked me to help them out with their iPhone 4, I've tried everything I can think of to no avail.

So most of the time it's in recovery mode with the 'Connect to iTunes' screen displayed. When trying to restore in iTunes it gets to about 60-70% in the progress bar on the iPhone, hangs there for a few minutes then throws up error code 37 in iTunes. Then the iPhone will reboot and hand on the apple logo.

So far i've tried:
    - Restore to stock 5.1 5-6 times from recovery mode -
    - Restore to stock 5.1 a few times from DFU mode
    - Restore to stock 4.1 a few times from DFU mode
    - Restore to custom (sn0wbreeze) 5.1 a few times from pwned DFU mode (iREB)
    - Restore to custom (sn0wbreeze) 4.1 a few times from pwned DFU mode (iREB)
    - Checked TU, made sure 'Set hosts to Cydia' is unticked
    - Tried a different USB port and then tried all of the above
    - Reinstalled iTunes and then tried all of the above
    - Uninstalled ZoneAlarm, disabled Windows firewall and then tried all of the above
    - Created a new user on the laptop and tried all of the above.

When I try restoring with a CFW on the iPhone it goes through the progress bar with sn0wbreeze logo then reboots and gets stuck at 0% on the progress bar with the Apple logo.

I don't know the full history of the phone, or whether it has been jailbroken etc before, so unfortunatly don't have SHSH for it.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is using a different PC, purely because I wont be able to do so for a few days.

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
    Ok, so I tried to restore a couple more times today, just been trying 5.1 sn0wbreeze CFW because that seemed to be the most promising to me, I might be wrong though.

So iTunes sucessfully restored the CFW, then the phone came on to this screen and didn't change for 30 mins:

So I put it into DFU mode and used iBooty to try and boot it up, I did this a few times, it would either go back to the previous screen and I also go the following screens displayed

I've ran out of ideas, hoping someone else might have some more suggestions.

If I can't get it working through software means, I assume a replacement logic board would resolve it?

Thanks,
    Stu
    Last edited by Jenkinz; 04-15-2012 at 08:47 AM.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

Have you unchecked the custom boot logo on snowbreeze? The error gives this for it.

Recent sn0wbreeze can cause this issue. Deselect all custom boot logos, recreate IPSW. If received on an iPhone 3GS, select "new boot-rom" and deselect all custom bootlogos, then recreate the IPSW.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Have you unchecked the custom boot logo on snowbreeze? The error gives this for it.

Recent sn0wbreeze can cause this issue. Deselect all custom boot logos, recreate IPSW. If received on an iPhone 3GS, select "new boot-rom" and deselect all custom bootlogos, then recreate the IPSW.
    I'll try that when I finish work and report back.

I've never used CFW before usually would it just boot normally after the progress bar has filled with the sn0wbreeze logo, or would it then go to fill the progress bar on the apple logo too? Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.

This is a iPhone 4 btw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok so I tried again this morning, I remade both 4.1 and 5.1 CFW, however it there wasn't an option to use custom boot logo for iPhone 4 by the looks of it (checked with 3GS FW and there was).

- Restore with 4.1 CFW in pwned DFU
    Came up with error code 3194, save host files without apple line, restarted laptop and tried again, error code 3194.
    Tried the same on a new user, error code 3194

- Restore with 5.1 CFW in pwned DFU
    Successfully restored in iTunes, however now it's stuck on the apple logo after it rebooted

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenkinz View Post
    I'll try that when I finish work and report back.

I've never used CFW before usually would it just boot normally after the progress bar has filled with the sn0wbreeze logo, or would it then go to fill the progress bar on the apple logo too? Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.

This is a iPhone 4 btw.
    if there are no important data on the phone, do a "Erase All Content And Settings", then do a restore..

but the question is, does your friend plan on wanting the phone to be jailbroken or not?

the answer to that question will lead to different types of restore methods

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    if there are no important data on the phone, do a "Erase All Content And Settings", then do a restore..

but the question is, does your friend plan on wanting the phone to be jailbroken or not?

the answer to that question will lead to different types of restore methods
    Unfortunately the phone won't boot, they would like it jailbroken if possible after they've had a go on my jailbroken phone, but if that's not possible then just a phone that will boot would be good!

EVO
    Thanks

Unfortunately the phone won't boot, they would like it jailbroken if possible after they've had a go on my jailbroken phone, but if that's not possible then just a phone that will boot would be good!
    what shsh blobs does the phone have? As long as the phone has blobs for whatever iOS version you want to be at, then you can downgrade...

so what I would suggest is putting the phone into recovery mode, then restore to a stock 5.1, and see if it can be restored successfully, if its successful it will remove any potential bugs on the phone,

then downgrade to whatever version for whatever blobs you have and jailbreak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    what shsh blobs does the phone have? As long as the phone has blobs for whatever iOS version you want to be at, then you can downgrade...

so what I would suggest is putting the phone into recovery mode, then restore to a stock 5.1, and see if it can be restored successfully, if its successful it will remove any potential bugs on the phone,

then downgrade to whatever version for whatever blobs you have and jailbreak
    When I try to restore to stock firmware it gets to around 60-70%, stays there for a while then shows error code 37.

NoSHSH blobs saved

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok, so I tried to restore a couple more times today, just been trying 5.1 sn0wbreeze CFW because that seemed to be the most promising to me, I might be wrong though.

So iTunes sucessfully restored the CFW, then the phone came on to this screen and didn't change for 30 mins:

So I put it into DFU mode and used iBooty to try and boot it up, I did this a few times, it would either go back to the previous screen and I also go the following screens displayed

If I can't get it working through software means, I assume a replacement logic board would resolve it?

Thanks again,
    Stu

EVO
    Thanks

Thanks again,
    Stu
    if you dont have ANY shsh blobs, then any technique will not really matter in your case because you wont be able to jailbreak anyways, unless its a tethered 5.1 jailbreak..

Have you tried updating itunes to latest version?
    Have you tried using another computer with latest itunes and restoring to stock 5.1?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've reinstalled the the latest version of iTunes a couple of times, haven't been able to try a different device to do the restore on, hopefully be able to try that on Friday.

EVO
    Thanks

I've reinstalled the the latest version of iTunes a couple of times, haven't been able to try a different device to do the restore on, hopefully be able to try that on Friday.
    try another computer, and just in case, disable any firewall

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    try another computer, and just in case, disable any firewall
    So I tried on a different PC last week and didn't get any further, sounding like it may be a hardware issue.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM