Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP! Iphone 4S stuck in DFU loop.

Default HELP! Iphone 4S stuck in DFU loop.
    Hi Guys,

I've spent a fair while looking for someone with a similar problem, but everything seems to be about Iphone 4 or previous, and redsn0w/tinyumbrella/ireb all dont seem to work with iphone 4s yet.

I'm having trouble with my unlocked iphone 4s that was jailbroken (ios5.0.1) using Absinthe on Windows 7. At this point I don't mind if the phone ends up on ios5.1, i just want it to work! The phone appears to be dead, or stuck in some type of restore loop. It ran out of battery (i think) a few days ago and has been black screen ever since, despite being plugged in occasionally.

When I plugged into my computer it didn't get picked up until I decided to put it into DFU mode, which resulted in itunes picking up a device in recovery mode. I clicked restore and update, itunes started downloading ios5.1. When I came back after awhile, error 1601 had come up on itunes. I updated itunes and tried again, same thing. When I tried a third time itunes immediately started restoring without downloading the update, making me think that it must of applied the update the second time but is now in some sort of loop. Itunes says its extracting software, and then once it says that its 'preparing iphone for restore' I almost immediatly hear the windows chime that means a device was disconnected. Itunes keeps 'preparing iphone for restore' for 5 minutes and then I get error 1601 (or 1602). I must of done this at least a dozen times.

I've also tried tinyumbrella, even though I've never saved an SHSH blob or anything. I open tiny umbrella, put phone in DFU mode, tumbrella picks it up, and the only option thats not grayed out is 'Fix Recovery.' If i press this, the tumbrella log reads:
    04/12/2012 00:01:30.266 Attempting to fix recovery...
    04/12/2012 00:01:33.265 Starting fix recovery sequence...
    04/12/2012 00:01:33.274 Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot!
    and then nothing happens.

I've now also tried redsn0w and iReb, both of which havn't helped. My next step is going back to the apple store but I thought I'd try here first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The simplest solution is to take it to an Apple Store and tell them you were updating to 5.1 and your power went out (or something similar) and ask them to restore it.

It worked for me a couple of months ago with my iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by peli147 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've spent a fair while looking for someone with a similar problem, but everything seems to be about Iphone 4 or previous, and redsn0w/tinyumbrella/ireb all dont seem to work with iphone 4s yet.

I'm having trouble with my unlocked iphone 4s that was jailbroken (ios5.0.1) using Absinthe on Windows 7. At this point I don't mind if the phone ends up on ios5.1, i just want it to work! The phone appears to be dead, or stuck in some type of restore loop. It ran out of battery (i think) a few days ago and has been black screen ever since, despite being plugged in occasionally.

When I plugged into my computer it didn't get picked up until I decided to put it into DFU mode, which resulted in itunes picking up a device in recovery mode. I clicked restore and update, itunes started downloading ios5.1. When I came back after awhile, error 1601 had come up on itunes. I updated itunes and tried again, same thing. When I tried a third time itunes immediately started restoring without downloading the update, making me think that it must of applied the update the second time but is now in some sort of loop. Itunes says its extracting software, and then once it says that its 'preparing iphone for restore' I almost immediatly hear the windows chime that means a device was disconnected. Itunes keeps 'preparing iphone for restore' for 5 minutes and then I get error 1601 (or 1602). I must of done this at least a dozen times.

I've also tried tinyumbrella, even though I've never saved an SHSH blob or anything. I open tiny umbrella, put phone in DFU mode, tumbrella picks it up, and the only option thats not grayed out is 'Fix Recovery.' If i press this, the tumbrella log reads:
    04/12/2012 00:01:30.266 Attempting to fix recovery...
    04/12/2012 00:01:33.265 Starting fix recovery sequence...
    04/12/2012 00:01:33.274 Fix Recovery has finished. Allow device to reboot!
    and then nothing happens.

I've now also tried redsn0w and iReb, both of which havn't helped. My next step is going back to the apple store but I thought I'd try here first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    tinyumbrella has no useful function in restoring your iphone 4S, it is useful for the iphone 4

since it is too little too late, try to put your phone in recovery mode instead of DFU mode, then do a restore of 5.1

Thanks for the replies guys. Just took it into the apple store. The guy tried to restore it on one of their macbooks, once I told him that it usually takes about 5 minutes he just unplugged it (before it even came up with the error), took it apart to check everything was connected still, and then gave me a new phone!

What u could of done cause i had the same problem is plug your iphone into computer.. And press power button and home button for 10-20 seconds.. Then release the power button for 10 seconds the unplug ur iphon/ipod/ipad from computer wait a few seconds and u should see the apple sign appear.

Quote Originally Posted by peli147 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Just took it into the apple store. The guy tried to restore it on one of their macbooks, once I told him that it usually takes about 5 minutes he just unplugged it (before it even came up with the error), took it apart to check everything was connected still, and then gave me a new phone!
    the 2 penny question is, does the new phone come with 5.0.1 or 5.1?

Well it comes with 5.1.. I just got mine a week ago.. There is no jailbrek nor downgrade.. But there should be a jailbreak out soon..

Thanks

Hopefully...
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 6thDAY View Post
    the 2 penny question is, does the new phone come with 5.0.1 or 5.1?
    Mine came with 5.0.1

Thanks

You got very lucky
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    You got very lucky
    for realz!