+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G|S Recovery Loop

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey, Basically, my friend has a 32GB iPhone 3GS which is currently out of order. It was previously jailbroken and he decided to try to update it via iTunes which
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3G|S Recovery Loop
    Hey,

Basically, my friend has a 32GB iPhone 3GS which is currently out of order. It was previously jailbroken and he decided to try to update it via iTunes which has caused it to get stuck in a restore loop.

I've tried to kick it out using TinyUmbrella, I also attempted to use redsn0w but I am unable to due to the fact that it's stuck on the recovery screen and it won't let me hold down the shift + home button.

Any ideas on how to get out of this?

Thankss,

Kev

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Put your iphone into dfu mode and restore to stock 4.1, you can kick out error 1015 with Ireb5 or Exit recovery or even Redsn0w tools.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

^^ Adding to that. Get into DFU like he said, Than restore to which firmware you would like (3GS can support iOS 5.0+). If you don't know how to get into DFU this tutorial will help you:
    And yes, I know yours isn't frozen like this but it will help you get in DFU mode.

A Future Note: Never click update when jailbroken, You must restore in order to update.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies above, it turns out that I'm actually dealing with a 3G - the rear casing must have been replaced because there is silver writing on it but the serial number itunes reports is a different story - a 3G.

I've tried iReb, it reboots the iphone and back to the cable to the itunes logo - I also tried the method of getting the 1015 error and using tinyumbrella to kick it out while the error is still on screen but no luck, same problem.

I can't get it into any other mode apart from the one with the cable to the iTunes logo, when I hold buttons in combination it does absoloutely nothing and just keeps on going back to the same picture - the restore mode?

EDIT: just tried holding the home button while connecting, brought me back to the same logo again - this is some nightmare
    Last edited by keveye; 03-22-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

Well... When it's on the iTunes logo you're supposed to sync/restore it, Have you tried that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    Well... When it's on the iTunes logo you're supposed to sync/restore it, Have you tried that?
    It's in recovery mode, the page is a iTunes icon with a cable pointing up to it, I'm unable to do anything - I think the home button may possibly be damaged which could be preventing dfu mode

Thanks

Alright now I see what you mean. If you can't get into DFU I would predict that either the Home or Sleep button is damaged. It doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong to it so your guess sounds logical. I would suggest you get it repaired ASAP.

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X H4CK3R X View Post
    ^^ Adding to that. Get into DFU like he said, Than restore to which firmware you would like (3GS can support iOS 5.0+). If you don't know how to get into DFU this tutorial will help you:
    And yes, I know yours isn't frozen like this but it will help you get in DFU mode.

A Future Note: Never click update when jailbroken, You must restore in order to update.
    Not true. It is fine to update in itunes w/o restoring. You cant update ota.

Quote Originally Posted by keveye View Post
    It's in recovery mode, the page is a iTunes icon with a cable pointing up to it, I'm unable to do anything - I think the home button may possibly be damaged which could be preventing dfu mode
    What does itunes say when when you plug it into the computer
    (null)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by expl0itfinder View Post
    It is safe but the jailbreak will be gone while still the cydia tweaks will be occupying space on the iphone. So, I always suggest to restore and update.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

iPhone? More like MyPhone expl0itfinder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celeron View Post
    It is safe but the jailbreak will be gone while still the cydia tweaks will be occupying space on the iphone. So, I always suggest to restore and update.
    Exactly. I learned that when i updated, rejailbroke, and all my when i reinstalled all the tweaks, all the preferences and settings of those tweaks were exactly the same as before i updated
    (null)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What does itunes say when when you plug it into the computer
    It list's it as 'iPhone' and has NA for all the information apart from Serial number

Thanks

Exactly. I learned that when i updated, rejailbroke, and all my when i reinstalled all the tweaks, all the preferences and settings of those tweaks were exactly the same as before i updated
    Same here. I love how it does that, Therfore I don't need to screw around with them anymore.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM