+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help, trying to upgrade firmware from 3.1.2 to ios 4.0.1 and above

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi All, I am quite new to this so please bear with me. I have an iPhone 3GS with version 3.1.2 (7D11) modem firmware 05.11.07 which has been jailbroken with
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help, trying to upgrade firmware from 3.1.2 to ios 4.0.1 and above
    Hi All,

I am quite new to this so please bear with me. I have an iPhone 3GS with version 3.1.2 (7D11) modem firmware 05.11.07 which has been jailbroken with Blackra1n (everytime my phone runs out of battery or switches off i have to run Blackra1n to continue to use my phone). As this OS is old now I would like to update to 4.0.1 and above if possible. After looking for several hours on the internet and trying several methods I have been unsuccessful in doing this.

I have tried to update my phone to 4.0.1 with iTunes (trying to update my firmware by keeping hold of shift and selecting a downloaded 4.0.1 ipsw file) and tried to use redsnow to update the firmware with no luck. I have also tried to remove the Blackra1n jailbreak as well with no luck.

Another issue i have as well is that my Cydia crashes when loading data, so i am unable to get into Cydia as well. I tried to use iFile to fix the Cydia issue but that also crashes as well and i subsequently removed the app of my phone.

After looking through several websites I came across this forum in the hope that someone can give me a step by step guide (a dummys guide if possible ) to update from 3.1.2 to the ios 4 and above.

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

4.0.1 isn't being signed anymore, unless you have SHSHs, you can't upgrade to it. You can upgrade to 4.1 without SHSHs if you'd like. If you have SHSHs though, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to 5.0.1. It's up to you. Check for SHSHs with TinyUmbrella. Let me know what you want to do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Phoenix-Icecold (03-21-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    4.0.1 isn't being signed anymore, unless you have SHSHs, you can't upgrade to it. You can upgrade to 4.1 without SHSHs if you'd like. If you have SHSHs though, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to 5.0.1. It's up to you. Check for SHSHs with TinyUmbrella. Let me know what you want to do.
    Hi Annie,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I do not have SHSHs. I would like to upgrade to 4.1 if I can do that. Most of the apps that are out now require IOS 4 and above so I would like to have that along with a jailbreak.

Thanks once again

Thanks

It's simple then. Download a stock 4.1 ipsw, you can find it here on MMi's Downloads section. You can then create a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze 2.1 with that stock ipsw. If you don't have an official SIM to activate with, in Sn0wbreeze under the General menu, select the "activate" box. If you do have a SIM, do not select that box. Create the custom firmware. When that's done, Sn0wbreeze will prompt you to put your phone into pwned DFU mode, so do that. Then, open iTunes, hold shift and click restore. Select your CUSTOM fw, do not accidentally select the stock one or you'll lose your baseband to unlock. Then it should finish up no problem and you'll be jailbroken and on 4.1. You'll then go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock. If you don't need to unlock, well then don't install Ultrasn0w, but it's good the that you have that nice unlockable baseband. It'll serve you well if/when you decide to sell.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Phoenix-Icecold (03-22-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

i did that and everything went ok, untill i tried to install ultrasnow, cydia would start to install it but it stops, gets out of cydia and reboots the phone, any suggestions?

Thanks

Did you go into the Changes tab in Cydia first and do a complete upgrade first? It usually requires an upgrade before anything really works right.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

atopetu17 (03-21-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

i just tried it and when upgrading, the same happened, it started to re boot the phone

Thanks

Just tried the complete upgrade in Cydia, is that what you meant?

Green Apple
    Thanks

yes, there was just 1 upgrade listed, but did the same rebooting thing

cydia reports an error in dpkg, and says it has to be ran manually and configure it
    Last edited by atopetu17; 03-21-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks

Something about the jailbreak doesn't sound right, create a new custom firmware and do the process over again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i did the 4.1, should i go for 4.2.1?

Thanks

Well you can't go to 4.2.1 without SHSHs. 4.1 is the only fw version besides 5.1 that doesn't require SHSHs.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-Icecold View Post
    Hi All,

I am quite new to this so please bear with me. I have an iPhone 3GS with version 3.1.2 (7D11) modem firmware 05.11.07 which has been jailbroken with Blackra1n (everytime my phone runs out of battery or switches off i have to run Blackra1n to continue to use my phone). As this OS is old now I would like to update to 4.0.1 and above if possible. After looking for several hours on the internet and trying several methods I have been unsuccessful in doing this.

I have tried to update my phone to 4.0.1 with iTunes (trying to update my firmware by keeping hold of shift and selecting a downloaded 4.0.1 ipsw file) and tried to use redsnow to update the firmware with no luck. I have also tried to remove the Blackra1n jailbreak as well with no luck.

Another issue i have as well is that my Cydia crashes when loading data, so i am unable to get into Cydia as well. I tried to use iFile to fix the Cydia issue but that also crashes as well and i subsequently removed the app of my phone.

After looking through several websites I came across this forum in the hope that someone can give me a step by step guide (a dummys guide if possible ) to update from 3.1.2 to the ios 4 and above.

Any help would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance.
    I've just had a thought here!!!!! what's the 3rd, 4th & 5th digits of your serial number?? You might be in luck... If you've got an old bootrom, you can get 5.1 untethered now

Green Apple
    Thanks

should i use the activation (hacktivation) or not?

i have another question, when itunes asks if restore the phone as the previous one or as i new one, does it matter if i go for the previous back up of it or should i use it as a new phone?

i did the whole process again and cydia keeps crashing when trying to install ultrasn0w
    Last edited by atopetu17; 03-21-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    If you don't have an official SIM to activate with, in Sn0wbreeze under the General menu, select the "activate" box. If you do have a SIM, do not select that box.
    I think that's what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by atopetu17 View Post
    should i use the activation (hacktivation) or not?

i have another question, when itunes asks if restore the phone as the previous one or as i new one, does it matter if i go for the previous back up of it or should i use it as a new phone?

i did the whole process again and cydia keeps crashing when trying to install ultrasn0w
    You should probably set the phone up as new because it seems that the problem is pretty consistent and if you have been restoring from a backup this is a symptom of that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Annie,

Sorry for late response I am pleased to say your method work and I have just upgraded to 4.1! Thanks so much I can now finally download apps that will work on my phone . As I have backed my phone up I will restore my back up so I get my apps back. If I do this will this replace my Cydia with the old Cydia (the one that kept crashing)?

I have also tried restoring but none of my old apps and songs on my ipod are coming back?
    Last edited by Phoenix-Icecold; 03-22-2012 at 05:45 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-Icecold View Post
    Hi Annie,

Sorry for late response I am pleased to say your method work and I have just upgraded to 4.1! Thanks so much I can now finally download apps that will work on my phone . As I have backed my phone up I will restore my back up so I get my apps back. If I do this will this replace my Cydia with the old Cydia (the one that kept crashing)?

I have also tried restoring but none of my old apps and songs on my ipod are coming back?
    What are the 3rd, 4th & 5th digits of your serial number?? You might be lucky & be able to untether jailbreak to 5.1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Even if can untether at 5.1, you can’t unlock it yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    What are the 3rd, 4th & 5th digits of your serial number?? You might be lucky & be able to untether jailbreak to 5.1
    Hi,

After just updating to 4.1 I will be staying on this IOS for now, if I ever do upgrade to 5.1 i will let you know.

Thanks