Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbroken 3GS 4.0 to iOS 5 Quick advice

Default Jailbroken 3GS 4.0 to iOS 5 Quick advice
    My 3GS is on baseband 05.13.04, 4.01 and old boot rom (4&5th digits serial number are 3 & 1). Originally locked to O2, i am using a T-mobile sim.

I have searched a lot to find this guide that I think applies to me...Upgrade jailbreak iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 preserve unlock baseband redsn0w

I just needed some confirmation that this is the correct procedure for my 3GS if not then any links to other guides? Alot wanted to know if this method would preserve my GPS?

Would really appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Is your iphone currently jailbroken? And what tool was used?
    What about your 3rd digit?
    Last edited by iYeow; 03-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Is your iphone currently jailbroken? And what tool was used?
    What about your 3rd digit?
    Hi iYeow thanks a lot for your reply.

The 3rd digit of the serial is 0. Yes, its jailbroken already, It was quite a while ago i used jailbreakme.com and swiped the slider. I didnt use any other tool.

Hope thats enough information

Thanks again

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Then you have the new bootrom, if you have 5.0.1 blob, then use ifaith to create a CFW of 5.0.1 , put iphone into pwned dfu and restore to it.

I dont have a 5.01 blob. I guess i cant upgrade without it? To aquire one i imagine i would have to have an official 5.01 device to save the blob from?

If not, whats the next best 4.xx ios to upgrade too? What would be the method for doing so? Also, ive read about saving shsh blobs using ifaith so you can downgrade later.. Is that something i should/can do before upgrading my device?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Tejkam; 03-14-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Without blobs, your options are 5.1 or 4.1. 5.1 is a tethered jb, still in beta stages, and 4.1 is stable and ready to go.

Going the 4.1 route, you'd just download a stock 4.1 ipsw. Create a custom firmware with it with Sn0wbreeze. Then set your phone into pwned DFU mode with Sn0wbreeze, open iTunes, hold shift, click restore, select the custom 4.1 you created. Be sure not to select the stock fw on accident. You should create an activated version of the custom firmware if you don't have an official sim to activate with. You can do this in Sn0wbreeze under the General menu.

Thanks for your reply Annie

I will go with the 4.1 option, untethered beta jb isnt for me. Is it possible to go to a later 4.x ios? Or is 4.1 the staple one to go for? Other than sync with itunes is there anythinv important i should do before upgrading?

Kind regards

Thanks

Without SHSHs, 4.1 is as far as you get because that's the only fw version Apple still signs besides the current. Besides syncing and creating a backup, there shouldn't be anything else to do really. Unless you want to back up your jailbreak items, you'll have to do that because iTunes won't back that stuff up.

[HOW TO] Back your iDevice up

Read this if you've got time.

Very helpful... Many thanks. I will go ahead and upgrade to 4.1 following your instructions.

I upgraded to 4.1 using your method and all is well. Thanks a lot for your help.

The only issue im having is that certain out of app notifications arnt working properly. Whatsapp for instance will only notify me when im in the app or at the home screen. If I lock the phone it stops working? Ive check all the sliders are ON in settings and in the app itself. Cant figure this one out but im not sure if it has anything to do with the upgrade or not...

thanks again

Thanks

Thats weird. Did you install something in Cydia before this started happening

SBsettings + silent toggle... but i removed them and I still have the same issue? hmm....

On another note, I noticed at the cydia homepage that SHSH for 5.01 is listed. Does that mean I can upgrade to 5.01?

Thanks

Yes if you have 5.0.1 SHSHs you can upgrade to 5.0.1.

Ok I will give 5.01 a go. Are there any downsides, I've heard you cant go back to 4.xx from 5? Also read some things about GPS not working after?

Do you have any links or instructions on upgrading using cydia stored SHSH?

thanks again Annie

Thanks

You can't go back to 4.x from iOS 5 on a CDMA device. It shouldn't be a problem with 3GS if you have SHSHs saved or if you choose to downgrade to 4.1 without SHSHs. GPS doesn't break for any reason except hardware failure or using the iPad baseband to unlock.

I think there's a sticky somewhere around here on MMi that shows you how to use TinyUmbrella to pull your SHSHs and use them to upgrade.

[How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore

That's the one.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Tejkam (03-19-2012)

ok cheers Annie

Thanks

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I've got as far as saving my SHSH's from cydia in TU. Before continuing, I wanted to know if its possible to activate/unlock the phone without an official sim?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast