+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: If I jailbreak/unlock a 4S, does the GPS chip still work?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I've had issues with a 3GS that is jailbroken and unlocked, I'm using on T-Mobile. Everything works except the GPS chip. It still gets some location data from WiFi, but
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default If I jailbreak/unlock a 4S, does the GPS chip still work?
    I've had issues with a 3GS that is jailbroken and unlocked, I'm using on T-Mobile. Everything works except the GPS chip. It still gets some location data from WiFi, but it's not very accurate. The 3GS now has firmware 5.0.1 and baseband 06.15.00 (the iPad baseband) which I'm told shuts off the GPS chip. How rude!

My question is, Does the iPhone 4S have the same issue, when jailbroken/unlocked and used with T-Mobile?

Anybody here have a 4S that you're using on T-Mobile, and where the Maps app can't place your location closer than a few blocks sometimes?

The real test of whether your GPS chip is working, is to shut off WiFi. If I do that with my 3GS, suddenly Maps can't find its location at all, even after 1/2 hour of standing in the same spot outdoors.

Anybody tried this on your 4S? Does the GPS chip on your jailbroken 4S, still work? Even with WiFi shut off?

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can not unlock a 4S

[How To] Check if you can Unlock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess I didn't phrase it very well.

Is it possible to use an iPhone 4s on T-Mobile? (maybe you've already answered that question above?)

If so, then does the GPS chip keep running on the 4S, when it's set up to use on T-Mobile?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The GPS issue refers to those device who flash the iPad bb to the iPhone. You can't do this on an iPhone 4 or 4S, it'll completely brick the device.

As for unlocking the 4S, rumor has it the R-SIM or Gevey Ultra S will do it. There are no software unlocks for the 4S. You'll need to buy one of those SIMs I mentioned, and currently they are pretty new so I have yet to see confirmed results.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    The GPS issue refers to those device who flash the iPad bb to the iPhone. You can't do this on an iPhone 4 or 4S, it'll completely brick the device.

As for unlocking the 4S, rumor has it the R-SIM or Gevey Ultra S will do it. There are no software unlocks for the 4S. You'll need to buy one of those SIMs I mentioned, and currently they are pretty new so I have yet to see confirmed results.
    Good to know! I'm still looking for the perfect iPhone - that is, one that I can use with T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go plan, but whose features ALL work, including the GPS chip.

Anybody know if, for an iPhone 4S using one of these R-SIM or Gevey Ultra-S SIm cards, the GPS chip still works/ Are there any other issues, i.e. are there any "normal" 4S features that don't work when one of these special SIM chips is in place?

Thanks

Like I said, only using the iPad bb will damage GPS function. As long as there's no iPad bb, there shouldn't be GPS issues (assuming the device doesn't have hardware damage). So no, using the Gevey or R-SIM won't cause issues like that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone tito12's Avatar
    Thanks

Surprized nobody's told you of the simple solution: buy an unlocked device and enjoy !!!

Thanks

Unlocked device are pretty pricey, most people including myself would not purchase it.