+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GPS chip in 3GS doesn't work after jailbreak/unlock to use on T-Mobile

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I bought a used 32GB 3GS that had been jailbroken and unlocked using Ultrasn0w. I put my T-mobile SIM card from my old Nokia phone into it, and everything worked.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default GPS chip in 3GS doesn't work after jailbreak/unlock to use on T-Mobile
    I bought a used 32GB 3GS that had been jailbroken and unlocked using Ultrasn0w. I put my T-mobile SIM card from my old Nokia phone into it, and everything worked. But the accuracy of Maps seemed a little erratic. It could find where I was, and track me as I drove, but sometimes was off by several blocks or more. And when I turned off WiFi, suddenly Maps couldn't find its location at all, even after half an hour standing in one spot.

Firmware is 5.0.1 and baseband is 06.15.00, probably set that way by the previous owner. I'm told that that baseband is the iPad baseband, and that the 3GS GPS chip is disabled with 06.15.00 in place. The iPhone can "sort of" find its location with WiFi data alone, but not very well. And I'm also told that 06.15.00 can't be reverted back to an older version.

I guess this phone is permanently in this state and can't be "fixed" (though it's really not all that bad like this - everything works, and Maps "mostly" works).

But now my wife wants one of her own. I'm thinking about getting another 3GS.

I've heard that, if I find a 3GS that has an older version of firmware (like 4.3.3) and an older baseband (like in the range 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04) that is not yet unlocked, it may be possible to somehow unlock it for use with T-Mobile as I want to, WITHOUT installing the 06.15.00 baseband that disables the GPS chip.

Anybody know if that's true?

Has anyone had any experience unlocking an older 3GS in such a way that the GPS chip *keeps* working, but the phone can now be used on T-Mobile?

Thanx all!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

This is correct >
    I've heard that, if I find a 3GS that has an older version of firmware (like 4.3.3) and an older baseband (like in the range 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04) that is not yet unlocked, it may be possible to somehow unlock it for use with T-Mobile as I want to, WITHOUT installing the 06.15.00 baseband that disables the GPS chip.

Message me if you want 3gs which has this bb as I am thinking of selling mine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Little-Acorn (03-07-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iYeow, PM sent!

What software can jail break a 3GS whose baseband is within that range, in such a way that the GPS chip is still running while the phone is used with T-Mobile or other such non-ATT carrier? Will Ultrasn0w do it? Or is a different software package needed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Depends on what fw it's on. Generally Redsn0w will do the trick, you just have to get the right version of the tool to correspond with the fw version you are running.

GPS will not be affected unless you apply the iPad bb, which isn't necessary if you find a device with bb 5.13.xx or lower. Ultrasn0w does the unlocking not the jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Depends on what fw it's on. Generally Redsn0w will do the trick, you just have to get the right version of the tool to correspond with the fw version you are running.

GPS will not be affected unless you apply the iPad bb, which isn't necessary if you find a device with bb 5.13.xx or lower. Ultrasn0w does the unlocking not the jailbreak.
    I see.

So if I can find a 3GS whose baseband is still at 5.13.xx or lower, then that one can be unlocked to use with T-Mobile? Even if the firmware is 5.0.1?

Or are ther some restrictions on what the firmware can be, too?

Thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yes. People can preserve the baseband of a device but still upgrade so it's possible to have a device on 5.0.1 with a baseband of 5.13.xx or lower. And if that's the case, it's fully able to be jb and unlocked. As long as you don't restore or upgrade with stock fw without the aid of something like TinyUmbrella or custom firmware, that bb can be preserved.