Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cant Downgrade

Default Cant Downgrade
    hi guys

im new to jailbreaking iPhones and im looking at trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3gs

i looked up a tut and it is telling me to downgrade back to 3.0 firmware and i am currently on firmware 5.0. when i try to restore it back to the 3.0 firmware, it gives me that 3194 error or whever it is,

anyways, i looked up the way around it and it says i need my SHSH files, but i dont have them, is there any otherway to downgrade without them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You don't need to downgrade to 3.0 at all. You can jb it on whatever fw it's on. If you don't mind a tethered/semi-tethered jb.

Or you can downgrade to 4.1 without SHSHs and have an untethered jb. It's up to you.

Oh ok, which program do I use to jailbreak it tho? I used that redsnow or whatever it is an it kept not responding as it got to the part where it starts jail breaking, I was assuming it was because my firmware wasn't downgraded to 3.0, how do I jailbreak when it is on 5.0?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

redsnow 0.9.9b7 at 5.0

Thanks

Just remember, you should install the Semi-Tether tweak in Cydia so if your phone dies or reboots, you still have basic phone function. Then whenever you can, boot tethered with redsn0w on your computer so your phone can regain jailbreak apps/tweaks/functionality.

ok, but when i try to jailbreak it with redsnow, it asks to locate my IPSW for the current firmware, n i dont know what that is, i donwnloaded something from a tutorial that told me to use that, but when i do, it gets to the part where it says jailbreaking in progress or something like that, then redsnow stops responding and it tells me to close it, so what file am i supposed to direct it to for it to work?

Thanks

Don't you have the latest version of redsn0w? It automatically finds the ipsw for you.

Thanks

You click Extra , select ipsw and browse to stock 5.0 fw
    Click back and select jailbreak.

oh wow, it worked , turned out i didnt have the latest redsnow, but the cydia app it put on my phone wont open, it opens for half a second then goes back to main menu

it says to run redsnow and click Just Boot to fix it, i follow the prompts, but after it all finishes, it says unrecognized build???
    Last edited by daniel199260; 11-22-2011 at 02:40 AM.

ok so i got the just boot to work, but now when i try n open cydia, the phone reboots and now ive lost everything. i have no phone, message, music, all i have is my apps? wdf

can anyone help, ive tryed to restore it to before i jailbroke it, it worked but it still didnt bring anything back, still have no call icon, no message icon or anything.

Thanks

What are you trying to do now ? Restore to what firmware and what tool did you use ? Why don't you just go back to 4.1 .

im trying to restore back to firmware 5.01 i think it is, i used itunes, i cant go back to 4.1 cause i keep getting that 3194 error message i backed my phone up just before i jailbroke i, n im trying to restore it to that point, itunes says your phone is now restored to that point but i still have nothing on my phone

Thanks

So you're trying to restore to 4.1? If you used TinyUmbrella before, open it and go to advanced option, uncheck the box to point to cydia on exit, then exit TinyUmbrella. Open iTunes and try the restore to 4.1 again.

the file i am directing the restore to is called "iPhone2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore"
    and tinyumbrella wont install on my computer, it comes up with an error saying "No JVM could be found on your system"

Thanks

Well if you never used TU then don't worry about it. Have you ever edited your host files before?

all good, put host files back, done another restore and all icons are back, might hold off on jailbreaking til i understand it a bit more next time, thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

:S posts are stuffing up sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0246.png  
    Last edited by daniel199260; 11-23-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks

Oh good glad you fixed it