Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading an iPhone 3G to the latest firmware?

Question Upgrading an iPhone 3G to the latest firmware?
    I have an iPhone 3G with 3.1.2 firmware. Every time I connect it to iTunes, it says there's an updated version (4.1), but I'm not sure if it's safe to update my device. I've tried to search for info on how to do it, but it looks like all I've found is for restoring (I checked your website at "How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 (Windows)").

I wonder if I can go ahead and use iTunes to update and then perform the steps indicated in the guide mentione above.

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

The latest firmware is 4.2.1. If unlock is not needed, just restore to latest and jailbreak it with redsn0w RC18

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

shaka.d.virgo (11-18-2011)

iYeow:

Thanks for your answer. I do need to jailbreak and then unlock my iPhone, since my carrier is not AT&T nor Verizon.

Thanks.

Thanks

What is your current modem firmware, you can see it under settings , general and about.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

iYeow: this is what I have.

iPhone 3G (A1241).
    Version 3.1.2 (7D11) .
    Modem firmware 05.11.07

Thanks.

Thanks

Good, you want to preserve this baseband. I would suggest you go for 4.1 by restoring to custom firmware of 4.1.
    This is what you do
    Run redsn0w , browse to stock 4.1 firmware, choose the last option , pwned dfu mode and finish the process until a message says dfu done, screen is black.
    Run itunes : shift + restore to custom firmware of 4.1
    You should be jailbroken once restored and install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

iYeow:

When i browse to the ipsw file and I click OK, I get an error that says "Unable to recognize specified IPSW". What could be the problem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by shaka.d.virgo; 11-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks

Download the official 4.1 firmware from here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From when redsn0w ask you to browse.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

iYeow:

I performed the steps as you suggested, and everything seems to be working fine again. Now, when I connect the device in iTunes, it says there's a newer version 4.2 (mine displays version 4.1 is installed). Is this the right version? Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks again!

Thanks

Don't update, just ignore and never restore thru itunes as it will update your baseband. Your bb is preserved this way , unlocked it from cydia.

3g at 4.1 performs better than 4.2.1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

OK, so I should never use iTunes to update anything. As I understand, this is the newest version available that we could update to while preserving the bb, right? Some applications couldn't be installed due to the old version I had. Hopefully the ones I want will be available now.

You've been a great help for me today. Thanks for all your guidance through this process!

Thanks

The highest and last firmware is 4.2.1 and if you ever want 4.2.1 , you have to do the same thing by creating your own 4.2.1 custom firmware but i wouldn't recommend going to 4.2.1 because of lag , it freezes your iphone.
    Install sbsetings and enable the memory under sb options. Whatever you open, it uses RAM and you have to free it by double tapping Home button and delete it which will close the apps to free more ram.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

OK, it then makse sense to stick to 4.1; once again, thanks a bunch! You are the best!

Sorry, but have to disagree that 4.1 is better than 4.2.1 on a 3G. But then, 3.1.3 is better than both.

i been thru hell i am sure most of you have i dont no what happend to my iphone 3g i left it once to charge and it automatically updated and now i am stuck with no wife no imi no blue tooth i dont no what is wrong i never did anything to it its official firmware whih is 4.2.1 please someone help me my model is A1241 iphone 3g its 16 gb model please please help me get my iphone back to normal i been thru some website but cant seem to get it to work my iphone gets back and says needs to be restored shuts down every 15 minutes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albendi View Post
    i been thru hell i am sure most of you have i dont no what happend to my iphone 3g i left it once to charge and it automatically updated and now i am stuck with no wife no imi no blue tooth i dont no what is wrong i never did anything to it its official firmware whih is 4.2.1 please someone help me my model is A1241 iphone 3g its 16 gb model please please help me get my iphone back to normal i been thru some website but cant seem to get it to work my iphone gets back and says needs to be restored shuts down every 15 minutes
    Is your phone unlocked by Ultrasn0w ?
    Have you tried restoring to stock fw of 4.2.1 ?

please man in your hands and in gods help me more details please all i no its 4.2.1
    no only that but how do i get ultrasnow to work with no wifi my iphone 3g has no wifi its greyed out
    Last edited by albendi; 03-24-2013 at 02:35 PM.

i try to do a fresh restore on itunes but no luck i get error 1002 i dont no whats wrong i downloaded official 4.2.1 firmware try to restore still no luck error 1002 why like this please help so i end up jailbreaking it with 4.2.1 works okey but no wifi and only says searching for network i am lost

Thanks

I think you have a hardware issue.

iphone 3g 4.2.1 modem firmware not sure serial 88832d591r4 imei 011712004051469
    jailbrake yes i can but no wifi please help

hardware issue can that be fixed
    Last edited by albendi; 03-24-2013 at 08:18 PM.