+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
This is my first post and all I ask is a pointer in the right direction. Last August I bought for my kid a jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 (8C148)
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)
    This is my first post and all I ask is a pointer in the right direction.

Last August I bought for my kid a jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 (8C148) for use on T-Mobile voice/text with WiFi for data & Windows XP; the iPhone is currently stuck in iTunes "recovery mode".

Unfortunately, I don't know the baseband version (because the iPhone 3G will not boot to the Springboard/Winterboard GUI).

I need advice on which general direction to proceed.

Here are relevant details:
    • The jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 has been working fine since August on T-Mobile
    • The only 'problem' was that Cydia video apps apparently work best on iOS 3.1.3
    • Suddenly, this weekend, the iPhone 3G locked itself into iTunes recovery mode
    • I connected it to iTunes but stopped short when it wanted to install iOS 5.x
    • Doing research, I have come up with a tentative plan for recovery
    • Would technically knowledgeable folks here please review my plan & offer advice?

In my rough-draft plan, the goal will be mainly in this order:
    1. Recover the phone, if possible with all data & with the jailbroken iOS intact
    2. If that's not possible, at least recover the data & get the iPhone back on T-Mobile
    3. That may require 'unjailbreaking' or learning how to 'jailbreak' myself
    4. If possible, I would also like to downgrade to iOS 3.3.1

PLEASE DO NOT LINK ANYMORE OF THIRD PARTY WEBSITE HERE
    What confuses me is what are the proper recovery steps for the data and the iOS.

May I ask:
    Q: What would you suggest as my next steps to resolve this problem?
    What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-itunes_problem.gif
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-30-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

3G iphone highest firmware is 4.2.1, so what firmware do u want to restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    3G iphone highest firmware is 4.2.1, so what firmware do u want to restore.
    Mainly I only want three things, in this priority order:
    1. I want to fix the problem at hand (which is that the iOS 4.2.1 iPhone 3G is stuck in iTunes recovery mode).
    2. If possible, I want to save the data & downgrade from iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 3.1.3 (which appears to have better Cydia video-app support).
    3. Lastly, in the end, it needs to work with T-Mobile (voice & SMS only as data is via WiFi).

I've read that I 'never' want to go higher than iOS 4.2.1 because the baseband will be difficult to unlock; and there is nothing I want or need in iOS 4.2.1 or higher anyway ... so iOS 3.1.3 is probably perfect for my needs.

What would you suggest as the next step to fix the iPhone 3G stuck in recovery mode?

I tried using FixRecovery on WinXP from The Firmware Umbrella; but the program just won't run!

First it wouldn't run because it couldn't find zlib1.dll; then when I put that in the executable directory, it wouldn't run because it can't find MSVCR80.dll which, even when put in the current working directory, still didn't allow the FixRecovery program to work. Sigh.

Any ideas how to get this iPhone 3G out of iTunes recovery mode?

What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-fixrecovery.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-zlib1_dll.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-msvcr80_dll.jpg
    Last edited by Granitel; 10-26-2011 at 03:46 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After googling like crazy and reading all that I could understand (all of this is brand new to me); I belatedly realize that the iPhone 3G doesn't have to save SHSH blobs; and that I 'can' downgrade from the iOS 4.2.1 stuck in restore mode to iOS 3.1.3 so that's the approach I took. I also realize the baseband is what the baseband is (it's probably the iPad baseband based on the results below.)

I did first try to get out of restore mode using Tiny Umbrella, RecBoot, iReb, & FixRecovery; but none worked for me.

So, I performed the following to get the iPhone 3G out of restore mode by downgrading the iOS from iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 3.1.3:
    NOTE: This was all done in 'restore mode' (nothing was done in DFU mode yet).
    1. I first installed iTunes 10.5.0.142 on the WinXP PC
    2. I then downloaded the iClarify iOS 3.1.3 for iPhone 3G (iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw)
    3. I downloaded Tiny umbrella v5.00.12 to the WinXP PC
    4. I tethered the jailbroken iPhone 3G 4.1.2 stuck in recovery mode to the WinXP PC
    5. I opened Itunes: I held the shift key & then pressed the Restore button
    6. Itunes then asked for the ipsw file (I gave it the iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw)
    7. After a while, Itunes gave me a 1015 error (which, I think, means I have the iPad baseband)
    8. I ran tiny umbrella and hit "exit recovery" & then unplugged the iPhone & tried to use it
    9. I again ran thorough steps 5 thru 8 (and again got the 1015 error).
    10. Tiny Umbrella tells me the following versions are installed:
    • Device Model = MB702LL/A - iPhone3G
    • Installed Firmware Version = 3.1.3
    • Installed Baseband Version = 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2
    I had expected the iPhone 3G to have the desktop sea of icons; but it doesn't let me get there (is this because the SIM card is for T-Mobil?). All I can do is make an emergency call.

Was this supposed to be the expected results?
    If so, would someone kindly summarize the next suggested step to get the iPhone 3G working on T-Mobile?

I much appreciate any help you can provide and I realize you don't have to help me ...

What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-iphone_working.gif

Thanks

Run redsn0w 0.9.4, browse to stock 3.1.2 and jailbreak from Emergency Screen.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Run redsn0w 0.9.4, browse to stock 3.1.2 and jailbreak from Emergency Screen.
    Thanks for that pointer to Redsn0w 0.9.4; with that information, and a bit of googling, I was able to get out of emergency-call mode; and now I'm in iPod sea-of-icons desktop mode.

Unfortunately, I didn't have an 'active' AT&T SIM card; but I had my 3-month old AT&T SIM card (because I switched off of AT&T expressly because they penalize users of smart phones who do not want a data plan). Apparently iTunes will recognize an inactive AT&T SIM card as well as an active one, so that step worked without needing to install Redsn0w.

Here is what I 'think' are the next steps based on my googling (is this right?):
    1. This morning, I downgraded iOS 4.2.1 to iOS 3.1.3 using iTunes, iClarify, & Tiny Umbrella (in order to get out of iTunes restore mode)
    2. But then, the iPhone 3G had no sea-of-icons iPod home screen, and could only make emergency calls on T-Mobile
    3. My next step was to activate (either with an active or inactive AT&T SIM card or using Hacktivate (with Redsn0w & SAM)
      • Note: Luckily, I didn't need Redsn0w because my 3-month old inactive AT&T SIM card worked great with iTunes to activate the iPhone 3G.
      • That finally got me the iPod-like sea-of-icons home screen! (I'm here now.)
    4. I think now I need to set up the home WiFi encryption key information
    5. And then, I think, I need to install Cydia (can I now upload Cydia at this point?)
    6. With Cydia, I can upload Ultrasn0w
    7. Then, I can Jailbreak (using Ultrasn0w)
    8. Lastly, I need to unlock (again using Ultrasn0w)

Do these proposed steps seem reasonable to jailbreak and unlock the iPhone 3G iOS 3.3.1 & iPad baseband 06.15.00-5.9?

What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-ipod_iphone.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-activation.jpg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Success at last! The iPhone 3G is back in business jailbroken & unlocked
    Success at last!

Apparently, now that I'm on iOS 3.1.3, I had these options for jailbreaking:

a) Spirit (download it to the PC, tether the iPhone, and hit 1 button to jailbreak)
    b) Redsn0w
    c) Jailbreakme.com (connect to wifi, go to JailbreakMe 3.0 in Safari, follow instructions to jailbreak)

Here is what I did:

1. In a prior post, I finally got out of iTunes recovery mode by using Tiny Umbrella, iTunes, and iClarify ipsw files for the iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 (all the data was lost in that process)
    2. In a prior post, I activated the iPhone by tethering to iTunes & using my 3-month-old inactive AT&T card
    3. Now, with the T-Mobile SIM card in the still-locked iPhone ... I set up the WiFi encryption for my home network (I don't have the T-Mobile data plan ... which is the whole reason for switching off of AT&T)
    4. And then simply went to Jailbreakme.com in Safari & moved the slider to begin the process
    - I eventually saw the message "Cydia has been added to the home screen" (so that solves the question of how to get Cydia on board)
    5. I started Cydia ...
    - It asked "Who Are You?" (I said "Hacker" although that was being generous)
    - Cydia started downloading packages & reloading data.
    - Cydia requested one of 3 essential upgrades (Essential, complete, ignore).
    - I let it do a complete upgrade & then it asked to "Close Cydia & Restart".
    6. I clicked on the open-book icon for "Manage" at the bottom of the Cydia screen
    - Then I hit the "Sources" button in the center of the screen.
    - Then I hit "repo666.ultrasn0w.com" & then "ultrasn0w" (which only then revealed itself to be version 1.2.4)
    - I hit the "install" and "confirm" buttons & it installed & reloaded data.
    - I had to hit the home button to "Reaload Springboard"
    - As I was reading what to do next, a zillion backed-up text messages came in (it is, after all, my kid's iPhone)
    7. I went to the home screen & pressed Settings, General, Network, and changed "Enable 3G" from "ON" to "OFF".
    8. I had the T-Mobile SIM card already in so I didn't have to pop it in at this point ... but ... everything was working perfectly by this point.

My kid lost all the data ... but now, thanks to a lot of Internet research, we started with a T-Mobile jailbroken/unlocked iOS 4.2.1 iPhone 3G (baseband 06.15.00) which was stuck in iTunes restore mode - and now ended with a working T-Mobile jailbroken/unlocked iOS 3.3.1 iPhone 3G (baseband stayed the same)!

I'm hoping the 3.1.3 iOS will be faster & more compatible (e.g., with Cycorder) than the 4.2.1 was; however, I'm not really sure 'how' I downgraded to iOS 3.1.3 without going into DFU mode (must have been the TSS button in Tiny Umbrella); but with your advice and that from others, things moved (finally) right along! [IMG]

To help others, here are some related pictures.

What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-01.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-05.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-20.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-29.jpgWhat are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-07.jpg
    Last edited by Granitel; 10-28-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks

3.1.3 is the best for 3g iphone in terms of speed and performance. If you want IOS 5, then buy a new iphone...spend more...lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Granitel (10-30-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    1? If you have a iPhone 3G why do you have a iPad BB. 6.15.00 the 3G doesn't need that BB to be unlocked. You might have issues with the phones gps.

The iPhone 3G is the easiest phone to downgrade, jailbreak and it is the only phone with a permanent software unlock with ultrasn0w on it's own BB.

For the future all you need is iTunes and 3G FW and jailbreakme for all your hacking needs. You don't need tinyumbrella since you can restore to any FW you want without the need of SHSH blobs. All you need is to put your phone in DFU and restore with iTunes. (this is only for iPhone 3G and 3GS with old bootrom)
    Last edited by jolyrogger; 10-27-2011 at 02:18 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jolyrogger View Post
    why do you have a iPad BB. 6.15.00
    That's a very good question!

Last August, I bought the iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 BB 6.15.00 unlocked from a guy on Craigslist for my kid because AT&T wouldn't let me put my AT&T SIM card in even a borrowed iPhone without charging me a data plan fee (even though I had a data block). So, I switched to T-Mobile and simply bought the iPhone unlocked. Apparently it already had the 6.15.00 baseband when I bought it.

What should I do about the baseband that is on there?

You might have issues with the phones gps.
    Maybe that's why I couldn't get GPS coordinates into the EXIF data in the pictures?

You don't need tinyumbrella since you can restore to any FW you want without the need of SHSH blobs.
    But, without Tiny Umbrella, how do you then get past the iTunes 1015 error at the end of the shift-restore ipsw firmware update?

All you need is to put your phone in DFU and restore with iTunes.
    Since the iPhone 3G was initially 'stuck' in restore mode, there was no way to put it into DFU mode so that's why (I thought) I needed Tiny Umbrella? Or does iTunes put the iPhone into DFU mode even if the iPhone is stuck in recovery mode?

(this is only for iPhone 3G and 3GS with old bootrom)
    Being an iNewbie, I googled to see how to find my iPhone 3G bootrom version on Windows. My kid is at school so I'll have to wait to use the Windows method of finding the bootrom version; but just deciphering the serial number, it was built in the 25th week of 2008 so that would indicate the old bootrom (359.3).
    Last edited by Granitel; 10-29-2011 at 12:17 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

All you need is to put your phone in DFU and restore with iTunes. (this is only for iPhone 3G and 3GS with old bootrom)
    I'm beginning to think I misunderstood you because I can't, for the life of me, find the bootrom version of the iPhone 3G.

Here's what I did:

1. Recently I downgraded the iPhone 3G from iOS 4.2.1 to 3.3.1 (gory details above):

2. Your warning above appeared to be dependent upon the iPhone 3G BOOTROM version.

3. The serial number 3rd, 4th, & 5th characters indicate the iPhone was built in the 25th week of 2008, which would imply the 359.3 BOOTROM version (but since this phone was purchased off of Craigslist already jailbroken with the iPad baseband, that's not a foolproof method).

4. This is the WinXP method I followed to determine the BOOTROM version:
    a) I booted the WinXP PC (iTunes was not running)
    b) I turned on the iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3 BB 06.15.00
    c) I connected the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
    d) I launched iTunes 10.5.0.142 & waited for it to recognize the iPhone 3G
    e) After iTunes recognized the iPhone 3G, I powered off the iPhone 3G
    f) I waited for 10 seconds once the iPhone 3G was switched off
    g) I simultaneously held the iPhone 3G Power & Home buttons for 10 seconds
    h) I released the iPhone 3G Power button after the first 10 seconds but held onto the Home button until I saw the following message on iTunes:
    Code:

"iTunes must check the iPod software update server to identify this device"

i) I right clicked on the WinXP My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers -> Apple Mobile Device USB Driver -> Properties -> Details and looked for "Device Instance Path" from the dropdown list. It wasn't there!
    j) I was expecting to see the "Device Instance Path = [IBOOT-574.4]" or something like that in the string; but the property didn't exist!

5. I tried this multiple times, on two different WinXP computers.

6. In the end, I had to google how to exit DFU mode:
    a) In DFU mode, I held the Home button & the Power button for about 10 seconds.
    b) Since the iPhone 3G was connected to the WinXP PC, I heard a beep as the USB device was disconnected.
    c) Then, I pressed the Power button and the iPhone 3G exited DFU mode & powered up to the apple logo & slide-to-unlock screen.

My question:
    Q: What did I do wrong that the Device Instance Path was not there?

What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-device_instance_path.jpg
    Last edited by Granitel; 10-29-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

You don't have to check for bootrom for 3g, all of them are the same , it is only for 3gs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You don't have to check for bootrom for 3g
    Thanks for that clarification; I was beginning to suspect some sort of misunderstanding on my part!

Now I'm trying to figure out the bootloader version to see if/how I can downgrade the baseband (so as to forestall GPS and other reputed problems).

Googling how to find the bootloader version, I tried this but failed miserably:
    1. I downloaded BBUpdaterExtreme to my WinXP PC
    2. I downloaded & installed WinSCP to my WinXP PC
    3. Connecting to my home WiFi network, I found my IP address using:
    * Settings -> Wi-Fi -> {network name} -> {blue arrow} -> IP Address
    4. While connected to WiFi, I tethered the iPhone 3G to the WinXP PC
    5. In Windows, I started WinSCP and entered the following at the login "Session" tab:
    * HOSTNAME = the hostname found in step 3 above
    * LOGIN = root
    * PASSWORD = alpine
    * PORT = 22
    6. Unfortunately, that 'should' have allowed me to log into the iPhone to run the necessary steps to check the boot loader version; but it failed with a network-communication error.

I think my next attempt to find the bootloader version will be to try one of the following:
    • I'll install Fuzzyband onto the iPhone using Cydia & run that to determine the bootloader version
    • I'll run Tiny Umbrella on the WinXP PC with the iPhone tethered to see if it will tell me the bootloader version

The iPhone is currently on an overnight Halloween play date; so I will have to wait 'till tomorrow to try this out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How would you track your kid's location (for safety) without GPS on the iPhone 3G?
    Drat. Fuzzyband 4.1 reports:
    • Sorry, downgrading will only work with Baseband Bootloader 05.08"
    • Bootloader Version: 05.09 [G2M3S2] => Not Supported
    • iPhone OS Version: 3.1.3, Baseband Version: ICE2-06.15.00

Given those numbers and letters, I think that Tiny Umbrella actually gave me the bootloader version also (I just didn't know how to interpret it):
    • Tiny Umbrella, on WinXP reports:
    • Device Model = MB702LL/A - iPhone3G
    • Installed Firmware Version = 3.1.3
    • Installed Baseband Version = 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2
    • Note: I'm guessing the 5.9 is 'apparently' the bootloader version 05.09?

It's now (belatedly) apparent that the original jailbreakers installed a baseband that didn't enable GPS (I bought the iPhone jailbroken on Craigslist three months ago; it locked itself in restore mode last week. Since I'm an iNewbie, it took me a few days elapsed time to figure out how to downgrade the iPhone 3G iOS from 4.2.1 to 3.1.3, then how to activate, jailbreak, and unlock anew.

Q1: Why on earth would a jailbreaker install an iPhone 3G iPad baseband that disallows GPS?
    Q2: Any suggestions for how to track my kid (for safety) on an iPhone 3G that doesn't have GPS?

What are my options? (Jailbroken iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 stuck in iTunes recovery mode)-fuzzyband.jpg

Thanks

Unlock is more important than GPS to some owners, so ipad bb update is their priority.
    No GPS, you cannot track your location accurately.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unlock is more important than GPS to some owners, so ipad bb update is their priority.
    That must be the answer. Thanks for the insight.

What I've belatedly learned is that, if I were the one jailbreaking for the first time, I'd NOT upgrade an iPhone 3G to iOS 4.2.1 (like my Craigslist seller did before selling the iPhone 3G to me). Nope. I'd simply unlock on iOS 3.1.3 and then everything would work just fine. I'm surprised they were that dumb since it's the obvious choice, especially since many Cydia applications (e.g., Cycorder) run fine on 3.1.3 but won't run on 4.2.1 (and the OS is much faster in 3.1.3 than 4.2.1).

So I don't get what they were thinking by moving to 4.2.1 ... and bringing along the 05.06 bootloader which makes it impossible today to downgrade the baseband from 06.15.00.

Maybe I'm missing something in their logic though in that they wanted to be on iOS 4.2.1 for some other reason unknown to me?

No GPS, you cannot track your location accurately.
    Thanks. I'm trying to search to figure out which 'part' of the three-part GPS will fail on me with the iPad 06.15.00 baseband.

I looked up A-GPS to find it's three things in one:
    1. Traditional (satellite) GPS => needs only a good view of the sky & lots of time to lock
    2. Cell-phone triangulation GPS => needs only a cellular signal to triangulate
    3. WiFi location GPS => needs to be connected to WiFi (which won't happen all that often, in practice, when you need GPS)

Which of those three GPS methods fail on the iPad baseband 06.15.00?
    Last edited by Granitel; 10-31-2011 at 11:33 AM.