+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't upgrade to IOS5

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, I'm struggling to upgrade my 3GS (IOS4.1) to IOS5. Every time I try, it either fails to Back up, fails to restore or just stops working. I'm a bit
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't upgrade to IOS5
    Hi,

I'm struggling to upgrade my 3GS (IOS4.1) to IOS5.

Every time I try, it either fails to Back up, fails to restore or just stops working. I'm a bit wary in case I lose all my data and settings, so I have 3 questions.

If I have something installed that is not compatible with IOS5, would it prevent an upgrade?

I alreasy have iTunes backed up remotely; is there a way to backup all my Cydia purchases and their settings, so that I can restore them later?

Is it possible to force an upgrade, ignoring the myriad of error codes (all 'undefined', Apple's response to them all has been "remove and re-install iTunes") I have been getting?

Many thanks for any help offered.

Andy

PS I'd have searched, but the search function is still broken for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Restoring is a fresh start so it is not affected by what you have previously installed.
    Itunes will not backup your cydia stuffs, you have to install again manually. Write down what you have purchased.
    Don't understand what you mean by force upgrade ... if you want to upgrade , you can restore to latest firmware by first installing the latest itunes and hit restore/shift + restore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

PieRace2000 (10-20-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I realise iTunes won't backup the Cydia stuff, I was wondering if there is a Cydia application that will do it?

When I say 'Force and upgrade' I mean, is there a way to just do it; tell the setup program not to worry about what was there before and to ignore the errors it sees when the phone data is being 'restored' during the installation.

I'll try restoring before I upgrade, see how that goes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Are you hitting upgrade or restore? Because I couldn't do it with hitting upgrade so I used the restore option instead (not shift+restore, just restore).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

PieRace2000 (10-20-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been hitting upgrade.

I'll try the restore option in the morning when I get home.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yeah it's probably just as simple as using the restore button than the upgrade. Restored my phone twice so far on iOS 5 with the restore button both times and worked both times so I'm pretty sure that's the problem you have. Let us know!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

WOW! That was an epic saga! Finally got IOS5 and jailbreak on my 3Gs. It wouldn't work at all from my laptop (XP), so I decided to cut my losses, remove iTunes and start again. But even that didn't work, iTunes refused to uninstall. I eventually had to do it with JV16.

Anyway, whilst my laptop was being cleansed, I decided to restore my phone from the Mrs' laptop, like I did yesterday. Unbeknown to me, she'd upgraded to the latest iTunes and guess what? IOS5 installed on my phone, using restore, with ease. So the problem seems to have been with my laptop, not the phone.

So all is back to normal, Jailbreak, IOS5, all my apps, even my friendly iBlacklist problem is back Just need to find a decent theme for it now...

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

IOS 5 is wonderful , isn't it ?