+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading iPhone 3G from 4.2.1 to 2.0

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
OK so, as the title suggests, I want to downgrade my iPhone 3G (NOT 3G S ) from 4.2.1 to 2.0 (or 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 or 2.1 ). {In short,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK so, as the title suggests, I want to downgrade my iPhone 3G (NOT 3GS) from 4.2.1 to 2.0 (or 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 or 2.1).

{In short, the reason for wanting to do this is because the original version was 2.0 and, since then, I've been upgrading it. But recently I started observing that the device was lagging A LOT. My assumption is that it's happening because the device was designed to run the original firmware [and other upcoming ones too], but it was NOT designed to run the iOS firmwares very well. It (iPhone 3G) is able to run them, but it just doesn't do it well.}

What I've done is I've downloaded the firmware (ipsw files) from 'felixbruns.de.' Then I went to iTunes; I held down Shift + Alt; and then I clicked 'Restore'. Upon selecting the desired firmware file from the dialog box that opens, iTunes says 'Extracting Software' and then 'Preparing iPhone for restore'.

Now the problem comes: It says, "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (20)".

P.S. I tried this LOADS of times with other firmware files (2.0.1 and 2.0.2 and 2.1) too.
    P.S. I even tried the process using only the Shift key and nothing else.

Is this happening because you CANNOT downgrade to a firmware version that is below iOS 4 FROM an iOS firmware version (because mine is CURRENTLY iOS 4.2.1)?

Please help solve this problem.

Also, if you guys would not mind, please could you direct me to any threads that give guides on how to downgrade effectively (Yes, the ENTIRE process; so I start from scratch)? [FYI, I have sn0wbreeze, RecBoot, TinyUmbrella on my PC]

Quote Originally Posted by oswinium View Post
    from 4.2.1 to 2.0 (or 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 or 2.1)
    Ok so I managed to downgrade it to 3.1.2. But here's how I did it: I used the same process. Only this time, for some reason since it was 3.1.2 and NOT 2.0, error 1015 came instead of error 20. Then, the device went into recovery mode. So I used RecBoot to kick it out of recovery mode (IS THIS SAFE?).
    Thus, it is now running on firmware version 3.1.2.
    All that's needed now is getting it to 2.0
    Last edited by oswinium; 08-25-2011 at 05:59 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

If you don't have your SHSHs saved, then you won't be able to.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You should go down to 3.1.3. The performance is optimal for an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3. You don't need SHSHs for that fw version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    If you don't have your SHSHs saved, then you won't be able to.
    Well then, there's a first time for everything. How do I save these? And could you please link me to a guide that talks about this process for beginners since I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT SHSHs ARE! =P

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You should go down to 3.1.3. The performance is optimal for an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3. You don't need SHSHs for that fw version.
    Please forgive me for doubting your knowledge sir, but, as someone who cares very dearly about his device, I must ask this: How do you know that 3.1.3 is best for iPhone 3G? Are you sure? So you DON'T think that I ought to downgrade to 2.0?
    Last edited by oswinium; 08-26-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks

I'm a girl. And I'm 100% correct in my response. 3.1.3 packs the most features and is most optimal for the iPhone 3G. I think you should downgrade to 3.1.3, 2.0 is much too outdated. You'll like not be able to use many apps.

Btw SHSHs for an iPhone 3G are not required when restoring to 3.1.3, 3.1.2, 3.1, etc. The above statement that SHSHs are required is false. It is only true for iOS 4 for the iPhone 3G.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

oswinium (08-27-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm a girl. And I'm 100% correct in my response. 3.1.3 packs the most features and is most optimal for the iPhone 3G. I think you should downgrade to 3.1.3, 2.0 is much too outdated. You'll like not be able to use many apps.
    Oh thanks a lot, MA'AM I highly appreciate it =D
    Btw, how about 3.1.2?
    Last edited by oswinium; 08-27-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Thanks

3.1.2 hardly differs from 3.1.3. It'll be fine

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Btw SHSHs for an iPhone 3G are not required when restoring to 3.1.3, 3.1.2, 3.1, etc. The above statement that SHSHs are required is false. It is only true for iOS 4 for the iPhone 3G.
    Good call. You can’t save your SHSH's once you've updated anyway, as far as I know.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!