Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G 8GB Jailbreak question / issues (Baseband 5.15.04)

Question 3G 8GB Jailbreak question / issues (Baseband 5.15.04)
    I was trying to jailbreak a 3G 8GB model which currently has 4.2.1 on it and Baseband 5.15.04. Unfortunately my bootloader is not the 5.8 version which would let me downgrade the baseband to something unlockable.

I only want to do an untethered jailbreak on this phone. No need for a carrier unlock at all.

I have already tried using both redsn0w and sn0wbreeze. Jailbreak was fine, but with each one, I had "No Service" after it was done.

I know I can upgrade the baseband to the iPad one, but I really do not want to lose the GPS functionality.

I could also send it off to have the baseband chip replaced, but that is way overkill for what I want.

Shouldn't I be able to just jailbreak this phone without making it unusable with my current baseband and iOS version?

I have searched this forum and others for answers on this and haven't really found anything tailored to jailbreak only.

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.

-iphone2.jpg
    Last edited by drewb0y; 07-24-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Picture added
    iPhone 3G 8GB iOS 4.2.1 BB 5.15.04 / AT&T

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What version of redsn0w and sn0wbreeze are you using?
    Make sure that you aren't selecting to have the phone hacktivated if you are on an official carrier.

A jailbreak and an unlock are two different things. If you are using an official carrier then the jailbreak should work just fine and you should still have signal.

If you aren't using an official carrier then that's the reason you are getting the "No Service" error.

Quote Originally Posted by drewb0y View Post
    I could also send it off to have the baseband chip replaced, but that is way overkill for what I want
    ^
    Definitely not needed. Might be too much of a hassle.

IMO I would easily downgrade the fw back to something more reliable then 4.2.1 as this version is not very good on a 3G.
    If you need an unlock then installing the ipad baseband is the only way. You will lose GPS. Sorry
    Last edited by ihappy; 07-24-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    What version of redsn0w and sn0wbreeze are you using?

IMO I would easily downgrade the fw back to something more reliable then 4.2.1 as this version is not very good on a 3G.(
    redsn0w was version 9.8b1 the first time I tried but now I have 9.8b4
    sn0wbreeze was v 2.2.1

Maybe I selected an option incorrectly. Will try again.

Is there a particular firmware version that would be better?
    And aren't most of the apps now designed for iOS 4?
    I haven't really had any issues with 4.2.1 other than being a bit slow at times.

I'm thinking if the only advantage of downgrading the firmware is a slight speed increase I am inclined to stick with 4.2.1.

Thanks for the help!
    iPhone 3G 8GB iOS 4.2.1 BB 5.15.04 / AT&T

Default RedSn0w 0.9.6 RC8
    Mate, try this:

RedSn0w 0.9.6 RC8

Win or Mac (Mac version worked for me)

Same 3G as yours, i presume, iOS4.2.1, 5.15.04 (after unwittingly 'upgrading' iOS3.1.2/5.11.07 to iOS4.2.1/5.15.04) while drunk lol)

i initially thought that was it after losing the jailbreak, but came across RedSn0w 0.9.6 RC8 and it did the jailbreaking trick for 5.15.04.

Just don't tick 'Install iPad baseband' option (you only need it for unlocking) and you should be good to go.

Mine had signal prior to jailbreaking and remained the same way after.

Anyway, don't ask me how, but it works (with Cydia and all) and seems to be untethered also.

If you're on a Mac, basically follow the jailbreaking part for this but make sure you get the RC8 version.
    Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 3G 4.2.1

Tried Greenpois0n RC5 IIRC, but it didn't work, though some sources said it's good for iPhone 3G also.

Obviously, take it all as my 'IMHO' only(as this phone went through some hacking in the past) and do it all at your own risk.

Hope it helps.