+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I think this one may be unique!

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
So, about 2 months ago I JBroke my Iphone 4 using redsn0w. Followed all of the instructions to a tee, and it worked great! I've got my shsh blob saved
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I think this one may be unique!
    So, about 2 months ago I JBroke my Iphone 4 using redsn0w. Followed all of the instructions to a tee, and it worked great! I've got my shsh blob saved in multiple places and and have been regularly backing up my phone on iTunes. Everything works great and I'm loving the new found freedom to put whatever I like on and in my phone.
    Here's the problem:
    My wife told me all along that this was a terrible idea and that she was sure that something BAD would happen by doing the JB. It finally did. My wife went to upgrade HER iPhone 4 from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 (she is NOT jailbroken) and iTunes gave her an error message - "this phone is not eligible for an upgrade"....or some such nonsense. She researched it and come to find out that iTunes thinks her phone is jailbroken and because of that, won't let her upgrade!!!!
    I think I know why this is happening but not how to fix it. The why: My wife has had an iPhone since 2007 (original iPhone and now iPhone 4) and has had an iTunes account for that long as well. When I got my iPhone, I synced it to our iMac without starting my own iTunes account! Somehow, iTunes and Apple think our phones are the same or think that they are one phone!!!
    Any thoughts? Once again, my wife's phone is NOT jailbroken. She just wants to upgrade to the latest version of the firmware and iTunes will not allow it. Can I delete my phone from our iTunes account and sign in to my own account? Will that delete all of my backups? Will that allow her to update? Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

look up DFU mode this has nothing to do with your jailbrake also

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

iTunes can't detect jailbreak yet.
    Try another pc. Also tell her nothin bad can happen due to jailbreak
    Also try the dfu. Download ipsw and shift + restore
    Sync ur phone after restore with the back up and you are good to go..

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Make sure you have current iTunes, back up your wifes iphone, enter recovery mode Enter & Exit iPhone Recovery Mode click restore once itunes recognizes it, it will restore to the current firmware, 4.3.4 as of today. Once it is done restoring, set up from her back up you did previous to restoring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

What version of iTunes do you have? If it is not the latest upgrade it.

Thanks

Pretty sure your error message is caused by Apple no longer signing iOS 4.3.3.

Try it again with iOS 4.3.4--make sure that iTunes recognizes that 4.3.4 is the latest version...

that should solve it. If that doesn't, your next step should be a DFU mode restore to iOS 4.3.4.

For what it's worth, I've never heard of iTunes getting confused between two separate phones, especially with two separate "profiles" (as in, one phone wasn't restored from another's previous backup)--with the way iTunes tracks devices, it'd be very mathematically infeasible for two devices to have the same UDID.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

Has apple stopped signing 4.3.3 already? I just did a restore to 4.3.3 this morning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    Has apple stopped signing 4.3.3 already? I just did a restore to 4.3.3 this morning.
    Perhaps not. I just grabbed a random ECID's 4.3.3 blobs from Apple. Well, crap, there goes that idea I guess.

Ignore my last post OP, unless you had your hosts file to point to Cydia (or were using TU's TSS server for the update). Then the "no blobs" thought is still possibly valid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If the OP has done some jailbreaking, the possibility of using TinyUmbrella is there correct? If Apple is still signing 4.3.3, which I believe is true, iTunes needs to connect with Apple's servers for the upgrade. It might be directing to Cydia's server if the host file has been edited before or TU has been used.

So...make sure host file if edited before is set back to normal and in TU under Advance, uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit.

Then attempt the upgrade again.

Edit: oh yeah, if you're doing a shift+restore to 4.3.3 and not a simple "upgrade" to 4.3.4, be sure the 4.3.3 ipsw is specifically for the iPhone 4. It should being with iPhone3,1 I believe. It would be wise just to do a standard upgrade to 4.3.4 though if jb isn't a part of her plans.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 07-17-2011 at 02:25 PM.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM
  2. 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM