+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can't install ultrasn0w after jailbreak.

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi guys, Still having major issues after my last post ( http://modmyi.com/forums/general/770...ml#post6123017 ) I'll try and be clearer about the problem. This is what I've got: iPhone: 3G Firmware: 4.2.1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Can't install ultrasn0w after jailbreak.
    Hi guys,

Still having major issues after my last post (Having problems, help!)

I'll try and be clearer about the problem.

This is what I've got:
    iPhone: 3G
    Firmware: 4.2.1
    Baseband: 6.50
    No Wifi.
    Jailbroken using redsn0w.
    Using a PC with Win 7

I've been using a jailbroken phone on "3" carrier, should be o2, for a few months. It was slow, and I foolishly decided to try and restore it through itunes, and got the 1050 error.

I tried kicking out of recovery with TinyUmbrella, and didn't get anywhere.

I then did a fresh jailbreak through redsn0w, and used my backup from itunes.

I then couldn't install ultrasn0w. I tried a manual install and reboot through iPhoneBrowser, but it didn't stick. Whenever I try to look at ultrasn0w in cydia, it is highlighted in red. Whenever I select it, it only allows me to remove it.

I cannot install any other deb files this way. I tried it with some of the suggestions from previous post, and all programs I tried to install also came up highlighted as red and do not work.

I have since attempted to restore it, and then jailbroke it again only this time setting it up as a new phone. Still no luck.

So basically, the problem is this. How can I install ultrasn0w onto an iPhone with no other software on it other than what came with the jailbreak, and with no wifi?

Please help, I've been without a phone for over a week!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

Have you tried putting the Ultrasn0w deb file into Cydia\Autoinstall folder and reboots.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi iYeow.

Yes, I did, as I mentioned in the post above, it's the only way I can install anything and it's not working. I drop the deb into the Cydia/AutoInstall folder, reboot, the deb is gone, and when I load up Cydia, it shows the ultrasn0w is there, but it is highlighted in red, isn't working, and can only be removed when clicked.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,175 Times in 5,679 Posts

Could the issue be the iPad baseband Yeow?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I thought perhaps because of the baseband, the whole restore and re-jailbreaking has led to a dodgy install of Cydia, and therefore is preventing any .deb files from being installed. I've backed up essential stuff from the phone, so I'm happy to completely wipe it or do whatever with it.

Thanks

Once you install that baseband, you can not change it. Sorry. You might try a Gevey Sim to unlock it, their cheap on eBay but read, not possitive they will work with that baseband, but should. Good luck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks. I did find a particularly complicated way to change the baseband back, but again, I cannot do it without additional debs. Also, seems like beating around the bushes when I want to be on 6.50 anyway.

The gevey sim is a good shout, but again, I need internet access on my phone to get it working in the first place. Unfortunately, my wifi gave out shortly after I jailbroke the phone (its either the fault of apple or my alcohol abuse - but either way, no one will fix it now) so anything I use has to go through USB.

I had suggested to me that I could input a manual command to the phone through a terminal, and that might get it to install properly. Is there any software that can do this without having to install to the phone itself?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knightwing15 View Post
    Thanks. I did find a particularly complicated way to change the baseband back, but again, I cannot do it without additional debs. Also, seems like beating around the bushes when I want to be on 6.50 anyway. ...
    Fuzzyband works with bootloader 5.08. Very few have this version.

The gevey sim is a good shout, but again, I need internet access on my phone to get it working in the first place....
    The Gavy SiM is for the iPhone 4. A few 3G/3GS users have tried to make it work without success.

...I had suggested to me that I could input a manual command to the phone through a terminal, and that might get it to install properly. Is there any software that can do this without having to install to the phone itself?
    MobileTerminal or SSH: dpkg -i full_name_of_deb_package

Personally, I would start over from the beginning.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (07-09-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Mes,

I can't SSH (no wifi) and I can only find more .debs for MobileTerminal, which obviously I can't install otherwise I'd have ultrasn0w and everything would be gravy The only software I've found that allows me to connect to the phone SSH style is iPhoneBrowser, as it connects through USB. What I need is a similar software package that allows me to install .deb files to my phone without the need to connect via WiFi or without installing any .deb files to the phone prior to use.

Thanks

Perhaps head to a business that has free wifi, Starbucks, most McDonalds, etc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's not my wifi in the house, it's the phone not being able to pick it up. It stopped working in April. Apparently another fairly common fault for the iPhone! Bloody Jobs!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe this will help. If you build and install a custom firmware with PwnageTool (absolutely) or Sn0wbreeze (I think), you can add packages to the custom firmware ipsw ... ie: Mobile Terminal, OpenSSH, Ultrasn0w.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (07-09-2011), Knightwing15 (07-09-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ahh, brilliant. Didn't realise you could do that. I'll give that a go, and get back to you!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Argh! Got sn0wbreeze working, made the custom thingy, restored, and now I'm getting error 17 just as its about to complete. My iPhone really just doesn't want to work! Any help?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sounds like the custom ipsw is incomplete. Change/delete one of the added packages, build and try again ...

iTunes Errors - The iPhone Wiki

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Right. It was the custom logos sn0wbreeze tried to whack on.

Installed, still had problems. Then was reading something about the install for ultrasn0w and it mentioned mobile substrate, which I seem to remember from the first jailbreak. Gonna try getting that on, and hopefully that'll be the end of it!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good find. Ultrasn0w does require MobileSubstrate.

BTW: I would advise keeping the 'add-ons' to the absolute minimum. I'm not really sure how it all fits together during the load/first run. Simpler is easier

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, that sorted it Dear oh dear. All that buggering about and just because I didn't realise you needed Mobile Substrate! Ahh well, at least you guys will know for the next guy who iFails like me. Cheers for all the help!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Glad it's working. Maybe it will be you that helps the next guy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help Pls!
    Having the same issue...Im installing ultrasn0w 1.2.4 with the latest mobilesubstrate wih NO wifi connection. Im installing it directly through i-funbox. When I restart Cydia they appear, but they both appear highlighted in red and i get NO SERVICE.