+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G 4.2.1 - can't restore .. firmware file was corrupt

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
My iPhone 3G is stuck in recovery mode. Previously (yesterday) it was working as 3G, official unlock, no-jailbreak, 4.2.1 (8C148), Firmware 05.15.04. I then used redsn0w to jailbreak it (yesterday).
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default 3G 4.2.1 - can't restore .. firmware file was corrupt
    My iPhone 3G is stuck in recovery mode.

Previously (yesterday) it was working as 3G, official unlock, no-jailbreak, 4.2.1 (8C148), Firmware 05.15.04.

I then used redsn0w to jailbreak it (yesterday). It worked. I added Cydia and a few addons like SBSettings (today)

Then (today) through the phone I went to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings. As I wanted a 'clean' phone to give to my niece (no data, contacts, history, sms, notes, etc).

During this process, the phone stuck on the black screen with apple.

I tried to jailbreak it again, but this time it got stuck on repatching kernel (I forget the exact phrase). I tried again, no luck.

I tried to restore in iTunes, it downloads 4.2.1 but then says "the iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored because the firmware file was corrupt." I tried to Shift+Restore and choose the fw file iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw manually, but the same thing happens. I have tried with various downloads. Could the fw file really be corrupt, or is there something more serious wrong?

I tried to restore via TinyUmbrella 'start TSS server' and iTunes, still no good. In TinyUmbrella I have iPhone 3G 4.1 (8B117) and iPhone 3G 4.2.1 (8C148) recorded. Trying the former fw in iTunes, it says the firmware is not compatible.

So, my phone is in restore mode, but I can not restore. Or can I? Suggestions please ...

Thanks
    Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,639 Posts

Put it into DFU. Download the 4.2.1 firmware for your device again using firefox. Then shift/option restore to it in itunes.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I have done this, but still the same result in iTunes, "the iPhone 'iPhone' could not be restored because the firmware file was corrupt."

I have downloaded from the following link a couple of times to different places on my pc. http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...8_Restore.ipsw

I have also found the same file (same 330,645kbs) on my pc from 18th Jan and that one also has the same problem.

iTunes will 99% extract the file, then fail. I have tried a couple of files and think I used the file successfully back in January so beginning to believe it is a corrupt portion on the phone? I have also had exactly the same result using [iPhone2,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw], that fails at the last moment of 'Extracting software ..'

I have tried use redsn0w_win_0.9.6b4 with both fw files as well, and it gets to 'replacing kernel' with just a few% done before it gets stuck . It sticks on this screen for 10 minutes before falling back to the apple logo.

I am beginning to think I may have used the wrong redsn0w version (maybe redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc8 or redsn0w_win_0.9.5) by mistake, could that have messed things up?

Any solution out there?
    Thanks!
    Andy
    Last edited by yesmaybe; 04-28-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks

Do you have another computer you can try this on?

redsnow isnt going to work yet. You need to find a way to restore first.
    Last edited by Simon; 04-28-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

yesmaybe (04-28-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Do you have another computer you can try this on?
    Ha, after 4 hours of trying different methods, I simply restarted my Laptop, and .... it worked. I restored first time through iTunes. The simplest lessons! Thanks for the idea.
    Last edited by yesmaybe; 04-28-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks

Glad its working

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

yesmaybe (04-28-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up tks a dude
    tks a lot dude i got a wayy with ur dfu
    i have iphone3gs before this i dnt know even nothing
    ur msg help me a lot
    before now i have spent lot of money for softwares

tks a lot dude i got a wayy with ur dfu
    i have iphone3gs before this i dnt know even nothing
    ur msg help me a lot
    before now i have spent lot of money for softwares
    Last edited by gsmaxxi; 06-26-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

For future reference don't do the reset in settings. This is exactly what happens to any and all jailbroken iPhones

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have downloaded this one software (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw ) from - http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...2_4.2.1_8C148_
    wht will be the next step .,.,? is there any need to download any other software to boot or for any other asistancy.,.????
    ( my i phone is also with a black apple screen)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsmaxxi View Post
    i have downloaded this one software (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw ) from - http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...2_4.2.1_8C148_
    wht will be the next step .,.,? is there any need to download any other software to boot or for any other asistancy.,.????
    ( my i phone is also with a black apple screen)
    That firmware only works if you have the same model of iPhone (the 3G). 3Gs or 4 require different files.

If you're wanting to jailbreak and/or unlock, you'll need redsn0w 0.9.6rc18 (available here) to use after you've restored your firmware with iTunes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have iphone3g . (3g) is there is any other diffrences between 3g models .,??

i have also downloaded ( 0.9.6rc18 ) . only appling 0.9.6rc18 is workable .,.,???
    Last edited by gsmaxxi; 06-27-2011 at 02:59 AM.