Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
04-22-2011, 05:37 AM #1How to upgrade iPhone 3G to 4.3.2 + unlock WITHOUT ipad baseband?
Hey Everyone im new on this site. Ive done a few unlocks already in the past but im lost on the new unlock programs out. ok so here is my situation
i have a 3g jailbroken and unlocked on 4.0 with modem firmware 05.13.04. I would like to update to the newest software. 4.3.2 WITHOUT losing my 05.13.04 baseband. i would like to keep that so that i dont have problems using GPS apps with the ipad baseband.
Im on windows xp . i already downloaded redsnow 13 and 14 and snowbreeze 2.6 and i know how to create custom ipsw on snowbreeze. i also have the latest itunes. 10.2.2 .
Can someone tell me how to go about upgrading without losing baseband?
step by step if possible please. such as which comes first. for example. redsnow first? what do i check off in red snow? cydia only ? then itunes with shift and restore and then finally run ultrasnow?
also do i have to run "ultrasnow fixer 4.3.2" like i did for my 3 "GS" phone ? or just plain ultrasnow?
thanks in advance everyone
04-22-2011, 05:43 AM #2
04-22-2011, 05:55 AM #3
4.2.1 is as high as i can go on 3G ? im confused. do you mean its as high as you can go in 3g to be able to still unlock it? because itunes is trying to get me to update to 4.3.2 officially, i realize that is not an unlock its just an official update but curious
2. can i use pwnage tool in windows?
3. can i use snowbreeze instead to do the task im trying to do ?
4. do i need to use redsnow for any reason?
5. what do i use to create cydia?
6. do i use ultrasnow as my last step to unlock or ultrasnow fixer?
7. which of these steps do i do first ? second ? third?
thanks again for your help simon or anyone else who can help as well
04-22-2011, 05:59 AM #4
If iTunes is offering you 4.3.2 then you have a 3GS, not a 3G.
Yes you can use snowbreeze to make a custom firmware for 4.3.2. This will have cydia pre-installed.
Yes you will need to install ultrasnow fixer for 4.3.2, a quick google will find you the repo you need to add in cydia to get that.
04-22-2011, 06:11 AM #5
you're right its a 3g and itunes is offering an update to 4.2
ok so let me get this straight?
1. first i get custom sofware through snowbreeze then i "shift" restore with the custom firmware in itunes? and thats it?
2 no need for redsnow anywhere in my process of unlocking and updating this particular phone?
3. i have snowbreeze 2.6 which seems to be the latest version is that the version i am supposed to use ? or an older one?
4. the reason i want to update is because my 3g is running super slow on 4.0 and i'm hoping an update will speed up all the freezes and slow functioning. do you recommend 4.2 instead of 4.0 in my case or any other particular version like lets say ??? 4.1 ?
04-22-2011, 06:15 AM #6
Yes 4.2.1 is faster than 4.0.
snowbreeze 2.6 should be ok to use.
You "may" need redsnow to enter pwned DFU first before you can restore to the custom firmware in iTunes. You will not need redsnow to jailbreak though. The custom firmware will take care of that.
04-22-2011, 06:24 AM #7
Sn0wbreeze will assist with putting the iphone into DFU mode as well, after the creation of the ipsw.
After installing the custom ipsw, open cydia and install ultrasn0w. Phone should be unlocked after the phone reboots
04-22-2011, 06:28 AM #8
I have seen quite a few people have issues with snowbreeze putting the device into DFU and still getting error 21 or 16XX, that is why I suggested he may need redsnow to do that part.
04-22-2011, 06:40 AM #9
thanks goofball and simon. i guess i will try snowbreeze 2.2.1 in case 2.6 does not work.
1. do you by any chance have a link to download snowbreeze 2.2.1 and also a link to download stock firmware 4.2.1 ipsw ?
2. also another question. i've been using this iphone 3g phone on version 4.0 with 05.13.04 baseband for about a year now and i have "navigon" gps and use it with no problems. the only problem i have with this phone is its speed. its very slow at times which is the reason for my need for an update. is there any chance i will lose the gps capability ? i realize that going to ipad 06.15.xx baseband makes you lose gps capability but since i'm keeping my 05.13.04 with this process am i correct in assuming i will keep my gps capability and everything else too?
04-22-2011, 06:45 AM #10
04-22-2011, 07:01 AM #11
04-22-2011, 08:06 AM #12
thanks guys. ok. so i built the custom 4.2.1 firmware in snowbreeze. then i restored by holding "shift" and restore in itunes using the custom firmware i built, therefore preserving my 05.13.04 baseband. itunes finished and i restarted the phone and cydia is NOT there. so i attempted to get cydia after that by trying redsnow 13 and redsnow 14. both redsnows let me get to the part where i'm supposed to go into dfu and somehow i cannot get into dfu. the message reads. no device detected after it goes through instructional steps of going through dfu. hold power then home together etc etc. i've gone into dfu dozens of times so i doubt i'm doing it wrong now. any thoughts? it is maybe the fact that im' using the wrong redsnow versions?
04-22-2011, 08:22 AM #13
Did you swipe on the iphone to move to the 2nd page? Cydia is normally on the 2nd page, not the main screen. Don't laugh, I've had to help people swipe over to the other pages to find cydia. I've even seen it on a 3rd page. Sn0wbreeze will have created the cydia package already.
04-22-2011, 08:36 AM #14
yes i tried going to second page. lol. i figured that snowbreeze would have made cydia as well. so i'm a bit confused. i tried to use redsnow 14 and 13 they didnt work. im' not trying to use redsnow 12. lets see if this works. if redsnow 12 makes cydia. then is it safe to say that i do not need to go back to snowbreeze and then custom firmware in itunes, correct ? if redsnow 12 is successful in creating cydia. i assume i should just go to cydia and add ultrasnow yes?. thanks in advance
04-22-2011, 08:48 AM #15
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM #16
I've never used anything but expert mode in sn0wbreeze, did you use that or just baseband preservation? If you used BB preservation, I don't think it jailbreaks the device
As for putting it in DFU mode, you can do it the same way sn0wbreeze advised as well if you want. There is an ireb option when you open sn0wbreeze that will guide you through doing it.
once you have cydia, install ultrasn0w throuch cydia, the phone will reboot and you should be unlocked. You do not need to go back and reinstall sn0wbreeze ipsw.
did you check your modem baseband since the update to verify?