+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: impossible to get in dfu mode on iphone 3g with 4.2.1 fw

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
as in the title i've tried for the past 2 days to get into dfu mode to jb. all i can seem to do is get it into restore position.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default impossible to get in dfu mode on iphone 3g with 4.2.1 fw
    as in the title i've tried for the past 2 days to get into dfu mode to jb.
    all i can seem to do is get it into restore position.
    i've read loads of people are having the same problem as me but they are told to do what we've all ready have tried.
    it is imposible to get in to dfu mode with this iphone 3g i have.
    i've jb my ipod touch 4g so i know what i'm doing its this fruiting phone,i just wonder if apple has done something to stop me going into dfu mode from when it was last updated.

somebody please help i'm tearing my hair out here.

iPhone? More like MyPhone James360Petty's Avatar
    Thanks

Can we have some clarification on what it is your trying to achieve..... why is it you need to get into DFU mode? There is more than one way to get to DFU mode and Apple haven't done anything to stop you! I have a 3G and had issues getting it to Pwned DFU but RedSn0w sorted that for me!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i'm trying to jb it,been on it 2 days now i've done every thing every 1 has suggested but still cant get dfu mode.
    i've got redsnow & greenpoision but cant use any of them untill i get the phone into dfu mode
    Last edited by mickeyvilla; 03-06-2011 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks

Ok..... run me through the process of getting your phone to DFU mode, just to make sure your doing the correct process!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James360Petty View Post
    Ok..... run me through the process of getting your phone to DFU mode, just to make sure your doing the correct process!!
    i've tried all different ways m8,i power of phone then hold power button for 2/3 seconds then press the home button while still holding power button for 10 seconds then i release the power button while still holding home button for 10/15 seconds & each time it go's into recovery mode not dfu mode.

Thanks

You seem to be doing everything right..... I've never had a problem with this, I want to say keep at it and you will get it! The only other solution is to make a cooked firmware with snow breeze and put it into Pwned DFU with red snow! It's pretty straightforward to do it just circumvents the need to manually enter DFU mode!

You may be able to jb with Pwned DFU mode using GP but I've not tried it and wouldn't recommend this with out knowing the outcome!

Basically if it all goes bad your going to have a nightmare putting it right if you can't get DFU mode!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You seem to be doing everything right..... I've never had a problem with this, I want to say keep at it and you will get it! The only other solution is to make a cooked firmware with snow breeze and put it into Pwned DFU with red snow! It's pretty straightforward to do it just circumvents the need to manually enter DFU mode!

You may be able to jb with Pwned DFU mode using GP but I've not tried it and wouldn't recommend this with out knowing the outcome!

Basically if it all goes bad your going to have a nightmare putting it right if you can't get DFU mode!!!
    i'm having a nightmare now m8 lol,just cant understand why it wont go in to dfu mode.
    i can get dfu mode every time i try on my ipod touch 4g.

Thanks

I don't know what else to suggest.....

Like I said before if you go down the custom FW with Snow Breeze and Pwned DFU with RedSn0w...

Anyone else???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I don't know what else to suggest.....

Like I said before if you go down the custom FW with Snow Breeze and Pwned DFU with RedSn0w...

Anyone else???
    but i still need to get into dfu mode dont i for the above ^^^^^

Thanks

RedSn0w will enter Pwned DFU mode for you! But I don't know on the compatibility with Pwned DFU and jailbreaking stock FW, the idea of Pwned DFU was to enable custom FW restores with iTunes!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to James360Petty For This Useful Post:

mickeyvilla (03-06-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    RedSn0w will enter Pwned DFU mode for you! But I don't know on the compatibility with Pwned DFU and jailbreaking stock FW, the idea of Pwned DFU was to enable custom FW restores with iTunes!!!
    i ran redsnow & told it to pwned dfu mode but that did the same the phone was in restore mode again.
    i ran a recovery mode with ofw 3.1.3 to see if i could downgrade but after al the restoring i checked the fw & it was still 4.2.1

eventhough i'm a noob i can understand why i cant get dfu mode no matter what i do.

surely some 1 els has had the same problem i'm having cant just be me can it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Turn phone off. Hold power for 2 seconds, then power and home for 15 seconds, release power and hold home for 20 seconds.

If that doesn't work, then don't know

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@i.Annie has the solution that worked for me.

Thanks

Download redsn0w the latest version. Next make sure you have the correct version of the firmware (IOS). Now run redsn0w and it will ask you for the location of the IOS direct redsn0w to the folder. Now you will see IOS is patching and is patched. Click the next button. You will see 5 selections starting with install cydia. Unchek cydia and go all the way to the last selection which should be Put device onto DFU mode. Afte that click the next button. You will see make sure your iPhone-iPad-iPod touch is off. Once you turned off click next button. Once you've done that you will need to quickly hold down the power button for 3 sec exact. In the process you will see the apple logo ( means your on the right track ). After the 3rd sec hold down both Power and Home button for 10 sec. At this point your I device should be completely black on the screen. Next on the 10th sec release the Power button and continue to hold down the home button. You will see a progress bar in redsn0w stating injecting with limewire. Once down you will get a message saying done if done right or did not succed.
    Last edited by XFaega; 03-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to XFaega For This Useful Post:

mickeyvilla (03-06-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Download redsn0w the latest version. Next make sure you have the correct version of the firmware (IOS). Now run redsn0w and it will ask you for the location of the IOS direct redsn0w to the folder. Now you will see IOS is patching and is patched. Click the next button. You will see 5 selections starting with install cydia. Unchek cydia and go all the way to the last selection which should be Put device onto DFU mode. Afte that click the next button. You will see make sure your iPhone-iPad-iPod touch is off. Once you turned off click next button. Once you've done that you will need to quickly hold down the power button for 3 sec exact. In the process you will see the apple logo ( means your on the right track ). After the 3rd sec hold down both Power and Home button for 10 sec. At this point your I device should be completely black on the screen. Next on the 10th sec release the Power button and continue to hold down the home button. You will see a progress bar in redsn0w stating injecting with limewire. Once down you will get a message saying done if done right or did not succed.
    thank you very much XFaega i got it at last.
    i followed everything you said & then redsnow said i'm in dfu mode now i thought yeah right lets try put redsnow back in with cydia & it when straight through,but i'm pretty sure i tried this earlier oooh i dont know just glad i've/we've cracked it.

thanks again XFaega & thank you to j360p

can i downgrade the fw to 3.1.3 now as i read thats the best fw to use for 3g
    Last edited by mickeyvilla; 03-06-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i still need help, i got an ipod 2g MB and it has the same problem

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Deadthreadprops: THANKS bigtime for this old thread. totally stuck for a long time but the redsn0w pwned DFU finally worked after I just came across this. what is deceptive is that in these cases the iPhone shows normal recovery mode for a while and sometimes I think I gave up at that point but you have to continue to hold the buttons through that until redsn0w confirms "yes DFU mode!" and the screen goes blank.... very deceptive between the recovery screen not meaning that it is not working and the fact that DFU IS a blank screen so you have no idea if it's there or turned off....

iPhone? More like MyPhone LanCo Rider's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an iPhone 3G that I have now been trying for HOURS to get into DFU mode. Nothing is working!

When I do the proper sequence of button pushing/holding, the phone screen goes blank and stays that way. iTunes says it has detected a phone in recovery mode. Greenpois0n and redsnow cannot detect DFU mode.

I am about to throw this thing against the wall! What the hell?!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

When you go through with the DFU sequence with redsn0w's timer, it's telling you that it failed right?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I have a slow-*** 3G and Windows 7, and I was trying greenpoison at first. Going through the sequence to put it into DFU mode ALWAYS freezes it into recovery mode, and i have to restore the iphone every time I make an attempt at getting it into DFU. Next, I've been trying redsnow as people suggested, but it's just telling me to do the same thing...put it into DFU manually, which sends my phone to a black screen of death. The last time I tried redsnow, it ended up telling me that it can't un-jailbreak a 3G. WTF? Is the pwned DFU by redsnow the next step. This is getting old...fast.