+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: impossible to get in dfu mode on iphone 3g with 4.2.1 fw

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Originally Posted by i.Annie When you go through with the DFU sequence with redsn0w's timer, it's telling you that it failed right? I am using greenpois0n, but yes. It tells
    iPhone? More like MyPhone LanCo Rider's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    When you go through with the DFU sequence with redsn0w's timer, it's telling you that it failed right?

I am using greenpois0n, but yes. It tells me that no DFU mode is detected and gives me the "Try again?" option.

When I do the sequence, the phone screen is black like it should be. iTunes pops up with a brief message stating that it detects a phone in recovery mode, then iTunes quits. So it seems like I do have it in DFU, but neither Greenpois0n or redsnow can detect it. So it must not be in DFU!

I'm so aggravated!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
    I am using greenpois0n, but yes. It tells me that no DFU mode is detected and gives me the "Try again?" option.

When I do the sequence, the phone screen is black like it should be. iTunes pops up with a brief message stating that it detects a phone in recovery mode, then iTunes quits. So it seems like I do have it in DFU, but neither Greenpois0n or redsnow can detect it. So it must not be in DFU!

I'm so aggravated!
    What firmware are you trying to jailbreak ? BTW, GP is not meant for iphone 3g

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yeah you should be trying redsn0w if anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Yeah you should be trying redsn0w if anything.
    Dang sorry it has taken me so long to respond! I did not know that GP wasn't meant for the 3G.

I tried to get my girlfriend's 3G into DFU with no luck again! I can't remember if I had GP or Redsn0w. I will try redsnow when I get home and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    What firmware are you trying to jailbreak ? BTW, GP is not meant for iphone 3g

4.2.1 fw

I really see no reason why it shouldn't be going into DFU! Could it be iTunes not providing the right drivers for an older device?

Thanks

I don't believe it's iTunes. It seems no program on your computer will pick the device up in DFU. Try on another computer if possible. It could very well just be your device not entering DFU correctly.

Thanks

I tried it on her MacBook the other day. Haven't tried it on my iMac yet. However I experienced the same issues on my iMac some time ago when I tried a different phone on there!

I have no issues getting my iPhone 4 into DFU. Strange!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default "Sorry that isn't supported yet on a 1st-gen device" - redsn0w
    Hey there,

I'm having a similar problem. Initially, I restored my iPhone 3.1.7 in iTunes. Then when it was done my old SIM card wouldn't work. I was expecting this. I just ran the jailbreak using redsn0w and now my iPhone has the 4.2.1 firmware.

I was following the guide on this website: Upgrade jailbreak iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 preserve unlock baseband redsn0w

My goal was to update my iPhone 3G to iOS 5 but after creating my own custom ispw, the directions ask for me to put my phone into pwned dfu mode and I hit a roadblock.

I follow the instructions in redsn0w, but then I get the message "Sorry that isn't supported yet on a 1st-gen device"

Is there no way to update an iPhone 3G to iOS 5?

should I just be happy with 4.2.1, unlock my phone, and move on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ty

Thanks

The last firmware update for 3g iphone is 4.2.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cheers

Thanks

Definitely worked just fine using Redsn0w. Turns out I'm the idiot and the phone had no issues to begin with. LOL fml

Thanks

Glad it worked out for you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm having similar problems getting it into dfu mode i have an IPhone 3g 4.2.1 and i can't get it into dfu mode i've tried everthing post here with no luck If someone can please help me. Thanks

Thanks

Are you using RedSn0w?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ya the lastest 0.9.10b6 and i have 0.9.6rc16 tried the Pwned DFU and tried to enter DFU mode without using it neither works.

got it the key is to hold the home button softly.
    Last edited by dennydaly; 03-21-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Damn it. I load up the custom 4.2.1_8c148 firmware is reads all that fine before doing to the DFU section. It detects its in Dfu mode and starts loading the firmware but then just seems to stall on "waiting to reboot" i waited ages and nothing happens. i then have to go back to itunes and restore it and try all over again just for the same thing to happen Should I use the Ipad baseline? If I tick and it fucks up I screwed I then have no Iphone till the jailbreak works

Thanks

Are you trying to get into pwned dfu mode and you can't. What is your current baseband ? Do you need unlock ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its ok got everthing sorted put in in pwned dfu just before custom software boot and it all loaded up fine . What apps of cydia do ye recommend from cydia or what changes should i make now. Its a 3g running on 4.2.1 jailbroke firmware.

Thanks

There are a bunch of cool things, you just need to put time in to explore. You definitely want to check out the featured lists in Cydia though. Go to the home page, then select Featured and there will be lots of lists by category for you to check out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am doing everything mentioned in this thread and still nothing. Ipod Touch 3g 4.2.1

I use red snow and the screen goes blank when the timer reached 4 on the hold both buttons part of the dfu process.

redsnow get to "Exploiting with limera1n" it only gets to eleven bars and freezes.

Can you guys post the most current redsnow and the firmware file for me to use please. I keep getting this stuff from old or expired blogs etc.

Please help. Thank you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had that problem twice when I mine. I just reloaded the stock firmware from itunes and then went back into redsn0w in EXTRAS and loaded the custom 4.2.1 firmware.
    Back to the last tab into jailbreak and followed the Pwned dfu screen make sure u hold the home and power for the full time even after the screen goes blank.
    It blink back on then a run a load of script on the iphone screen.
    this is the firmware i used for my 3g 4.2.1 NEW 4.2.1 BETA Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G & iPad - Redsn0w 0.9.7b4 - YouTube