Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Buggered

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unhappy Cydia Buggered
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3G[S] 32GB iOS v3.1.2.
    I live in NZ and the iPhone is from the UK.
    Being from the UK it was simlocked, when I brought it was brand new and jailbroke it with
    blackra1n and it has worked fine for almost a year with the odd glitch here and there mostly
    caused and fixed by me.

Got a bit of an issue now however.
    I was updating to the latest BiteSMS through Cydia during the process the iPhone went to sleep.
    I brought it back from sleep and watched it so it wouldn't do that again. But after 5 minutes I
    couldn't see anything really happening so I ended the Cydia process (OOPS!) which caused Cydia
    to get its knickers in a twist. Basically open Cydia and it would close again.

I tried fixing it myself which inadvertantly made it worse I fear. I ended up downloading a Cydia
    package off the net (cydia_1.0.2953-59_iphoneos-arm.deb), transferred it to the iPhone using
    WinSCP and using MobileTerminal to execute the installation of it. After complete I rebooted the
    device and Cydia started to initialize and then closed. This didn't work so I uninstalled the package
    using the CLI (MobileTerminal). I then tried to install Cydia using blackra1n as I remembered thatís
    how I got Cydia on in the first place. Tried that a couple of times to no avail. I removed everything
    inside the sources.list.d directory and the packages lists and what not also. That didnít help. I then
    downloaded and transferred Cydia (cydia_1.0.3201-71_iphoneos-arm.deb) after installation I
    rebooted and opened Cydia and after its initialization I was told that there was essential updates to
    be installed of which I accepted, they looked to download but when it came to installing Cydia spat
    out an error and closed, then it was back to the open/close issue again.

Obviously Cydia is getting its wires crossed and Iím wondering if there is any way back from this?

I have never upgraded the iOS because Cydia does not have my iOS hash for 3.1.2 which blows big
    time. I was just a month out I learned later from Apple closing off the signing of 3.1.2.
    Also never upgraded because of the simlock, Iím unsure as to how that will mess things up also.

I've added as much detail as I can remember without going into absolutely every detail.

Someone please be my saviour. ^^

Thanks

do you have shsh's for 4.0? if so then update to that and jailbreak and unlock
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn only to be washed away. For the time that I've been given, I am what I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r View Post
    do you have shsh's for 4.0? if so then update to that and jailbreak and unlock
    To elaborate on what J3st3r said--any version of iOS (3.1.2, .3, 4.0 - .2 , 4.1, 4.2.1) will work, so long as you have the corresponding SHSH blobs. Sounds like there's an error in the filesystem, and these tend to be very annoying problems that are (usually) immediately resolved with a full restore.

Any firmware version you choose should work well on the 3GS--a note of warning though, please do not restore to 4.1 or 4.2.1 stock firmware (you'll need a custom firmware to preserve your unlock, 4.1 and 4.2.1 will bugger that up if you're not careful).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Sn1p3r (02-27-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I did notice that when I went into Cydia it did say at the top that it had more SHSH's.
    But as for what they are I dont know.

I tried to install Cydia using the deb files but it errors now and wont install.
    I would try to install Cydia from blackra1n but my connection is currently back at
    dialup speed until the 6th. T_T

Ideas?
    I could try installing it on a high speed connection in the morning. That's if I have
    time at work so on initial loadup of Cydia (if it works) will show me the SHSH's on
    saurik's database. I'm currently in what looks to be a warzone. My city has been
    destroyed by an earthquake.

iPhone? More like MyPhone James360Petty's Avatar
    Thanks

Trying to fix issues tlike these isn't straightforward as there are so many things that could be causing the issue! If it were me I would update the FW whilst preserving your baseband for the unlock! Re jailbreak the device and away you go!

If your on a pc I would download Snow breeze 2.2.1 and the 4.2.1 IPSW file.... Snow Breeze allows you to create a FW that is already jailbroken and has cydia already in it.... and then it fools iTunes into thinking it's a genuine FW and let's you restore to that! One important thing is that you do a backup through iTunes before hand....

Once the FW is installed you can unlock with ultrasn0w and you just need to set your device up just the way you like it!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to James360Petty For This Useful Post:

Sn1p3r (02-27-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so it looks like trying to install Cydia at work was a bust, the power has
    been shut off for 3 days now.

My mate has told me that my Internet throttling may be getting lifted off which
    is great.

The reason I'm dubious of upgrading my firmware is I can never downgrade back
    to the original iOS v3.1.2 (which has been working perfectly). I've heard some
    horror stories of people bricking their iPhone and would like all the information
    before proceeding. As I can do without an expensive paperweight.

More so now when our city is still in much disarray so I need my mobile AOK.

I have AptBackup installed, not that I know if it will work or not. ^^
    I'm doing a Sync now, which is now complete, that's a backup right?
    I've never had to do anything this major with my iPhone before.

Are you able to explain the whole baseband thing for me?

So does everyone agree with James360Petty in that I should download the following:
    Snow Breeze v2.2.1
    iOS v4.2.1 IPSW (Question, is this the official one I download?)
    Ultrasn0w

Thanks

Ok to try and answer some of your questions.... firstly it's quite difficult these days to brick you device! 99% of all devices can be recovered from one state or another, but be warned there is always 1% left!!!

Aptbackup will keep in mind all the cydia apps that have been installed and make life much much easier when it comes to restoring all of those apps!!!

Syncing with iTunes will create a backup so when you change your FW you can get all your contacts, photos etc etc back to the device, just your music to sync after!!!

For baseband queries..... Ultrasn0w will unlock your device so you can use a mobile operator other than the one it was supplied for..... Ultrasn0w however can only unlock certain basebands, your currrent one included! If you went to the most up to date FW via iTunes this will update your baseband meaning you can't unlock!

By creating a custom firmware via something like Snow Breeze you can update your FW, keep your existing baseband, jailbreak and install Cydia in one go!

And yes you will need to download an official IPSW file for your device, let Snow Breeze do it's thing and shift restore through iTunes!!! (shift restore allows you to select the FW that snow breeze has created)

Hope some of this helps!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, so today I installed Cydia from blackra1n and while it was in its initialisation phase I was
    able to see the SHSHís in Saurikís database for my device. 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+

I downloaded Snow Breeze v2.2.1 and the iOS 4.2.1 (iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw)

I proceeded to load it into Snow Breeze and immediately got flummoxed.
    From your previous comments I understand that I want to be preserving my baseband and I also
    want to be able to unlock and add Cydia, all which seem to be available through different paths.

This is rather confusing so once again I sit back and ask questions for clarity on this issue.
    Perhaps if you could explain the steps needed to take to get the desired result or point me in
    the direction of a thread which would clarify things.

Sorry if this is frustrating you but understanding is always half the battle. I never like to go into a
    situation unprepared and oblivious.

As always I appreciate assistance from those willing to give it.

Thanks

Snow Breeze will by default and always preserve your baseband..... that's the first thing to note, by default it will jailbreak your device, and thirdly it will install cydia for you!!!

You need to select the IPSW you downloaded and it will veryfy this, the only options you then have is if you want to change your boot logo and connect to iTunes screen, then build the custom FW.....

Once it's completed Snow Breeze will ask you to follow the instructions to put the phone into Pwned DFU mode..... once complete useing iTunes it will give you a message that it's found a phone in DFU mode and needs to restore

Press and hold shift and click the restore button, select the Snow Breeze FW should be on your desktop and let iTunes do it's thing!!!

Just a note as you have SHSH blobs on Cydia servers for as early as 3.1.3 you can restore to that FW and jailbreak...... this is a completely different process, the choice ultimately is yours!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi James360Petty, I have another question for you as you seem to be the only on with any answers.

When I originally jailbroke my iPhone when I took it out of the box I used blackr41n to get it working
    because I did and still do not have a UK sim to initialise it (as the iPhone is from the UK and
    simlocked to UK providers).

You have mentioned Ultrasn0w in your previous posts but when I went hunting for it I was not able
    to locate it, I take it that it is a download from Cydia or something of the like.

When using Snow Breeze to modify the official iOS v4.2.1, and it has uploaded it to the iPhone.
    How will this function after a reboot?

As previously because of the blackra1n jailbrake it would require me to attach the iPhone to my PC
    to send a string to get it past the initial recovery mode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
    Hi James360Petty, I have another question for you as you seem to be the only on with any answers.

When I originally jailbroke my iPhone when I took it out of the box I used blackr41n to get it working
    because I did and still do not have a UK sim to initialise it (as the iPhone is from the UK and
    simlocked to UK providers).

You have mentioned Ultrasn0w in your previous posts but when I went hunting for it I was not able
    to locate it, I take it that it is a download from Cydia or something of the like.

When using Snow Breeze to modify the official iOS v4.2.1, and it has uploaded it to the iPhone.
    How will this function after a reboot?

As previously because of the blackra1n jailbrake it would require me to attach the iPhone to my PC
    to send a string to get it past the initial recovery mode.
    Alright, here's the skinny.

Ultrasn0w is indeed a Cydia package (in the default repository ultrasn0w.com). Install it with Cydia after jailbreaking.

I will in a few moments link you (via Private Message) to a pre-made IPSW file that will both jailbreak your device and hacktivate it. You will need redsn0w 0.9.6rc8 (available here) to place your iPhone in Pwned DFU mode before attempting to restore.

Once in the Pwned DFU mode from redsn0w, open iTunes, hold down Shift then click Restore on your iPhone, and navigate to the custom IPSW file you downloaded. Once the restore is done, your phone will be jailbroken and hacktivated on iOS 4.2.1 (untethered).

Please note: you really should get a "legitimate" activation after jailbreaking and installing ultrasn0w. Install SAM (Subscriber Activation Module) from the repo http://repo.bingner.com. First "de-activate" with Settings -> SAM -> Utilities (will cause a momentary loss of service). Select Country and Carrier under Settings -> SAM, and enter UK and whatever network that phone is locked to. Then plug the phone into iTunes, and hopefully iTunes will respond with a "This phone has been successfully activated" message.

Then you're set.

PS: Your phone will reboot untethered, or not needing any assistance from a computer over USB, after this jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ultrasn0w does the same as SAM (Subscriber Activation Module)?
    What exactly do you mean by "legitimate" activation.

Also I'm unsure what network this iPhone was meant for.
    I'll see if I can hunt down the receipt and see if it is mentioned on there.

Redsn0w does the same as holding and releasing the buttons at the correct time?

Since I already have downloaded Snow Breeze v2.2.1 and the official iOS v4.2.1 downloading a
    pre-cracked IPSW is a little superfluous is it not? Also there is the possibility that a pre-cracked IPSW
    may have extra software inside it which the end user may not know about. Not saying this is your
    intent but is always a possibility.

Green Apple
    Thanks

No answers guys?

Thanks

No answers guys?
    To be brief:

ultrasn0w does not do the same thing as SAM. SAM convinces your iTunes you're using a Voda/O2/3 UK/etc. SIM in your iPhone and activates the phone for general use, ultrasn0w convinces your iPhone to use any SIM for cell service, not just the network it was programmed to at the factory.

SAM, while not technically necessary to get your phone working on a NZ network, is strongly recommended, especially for firmwares 4.0 and greater. If you like your phone's battery not draining in an hour (and you don't have an actual corresponding UK SIM) then it's frankly essential. Missing the certificates granted only with a legitimate iTunes(+SAM) activation on iOS 4.0 and later causes all sorts of problems, notably battery drain and device overheating.

A legitimate activation is when iTunes grants your phone a "WildcardActivation" ticket, which registers the phone with Apple's servers for your personal push notifications and YouTube access, for example. A hacktivation is where you, through jailbreak, convince your phone it was unlocked at the factory, but you'll be missing those unique-to-you push certificates and the Youtube ones.

Redsn0w is used in conjunction with the button-pushing to enter the correct DFU mode. You push the buttons, redsn0w does its hack to enter Pwned DFU from Normal DFU, then you restore to your custom firmware with iTunes. Sn0wbreeze may also offer this functionality, I don't know offhand (don't be surprised if it does, or does not).

The pre-made file is no longer available and will not be redistributed, in accordance with a new policy on this site. You should make your own with sn0wbreeze (especially since you're more comfortable with that route anyway).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Sn1p3r (03-06-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you for explaining the difference between Ultrasn0w and SAM.
    Looks like I will be going down the SAM path.

I've had a look at the receipt and it does not say what network the iPhone was for. Thanks to Google
    street view I was able to see their shop front which shows Vodafone and Orange, there are a couple
    of others T-Mobile and Cellnet but I'm guessing it's going to be one of the first two.

What am I to do? T_T

Understood about Redsn0w, I gather from what James360Petty has said in his previous post is that
    SnowBreeze does the same thing, but this is only my assumption.

Thanks

Thank you for explaining the difference between Ultrasn0w and SAM.
    Looks like I will be going down the SAM path.

I've had a look at the receipt and it does not say what network the iPhone was for. Thanks to Google
    street view I was able to see their shop front which shows Vodafone and Orange, there are a couple
    of others T-Mobile and Cellnet but I'm guessing it's going to be one of the first two.

What am I to do? T_T

Understood about Redsn0w, I gather from what James360Petty has said in his previous post is that
    SnowBreeze does the same thing, but this is only my assumption.
    In order to use your iPhone to its full potential (and without that nasty drain/heat problem) you'll need to use both SAM and ultrasn0w. Not a big deal, the two are designed to work together.

The good news is you can guess which network your phone is tied to by changing "Carrier" around in SAM's Settings menu--you are allowed to keep guessing until you find the right carrier. Just unplug your iPhone from your computer running iTunes, change the carrier in SAM, plug it back into the computer, and hope iTunes likes the new carrier choice more. You'll know you've succeeded when iTunes says "Your iPhone is activated," and you'll need to try another carrier when iTunes says "This SIM card doesn't appear to be supported."

Sn0wbreeze and redsn0w likely both do the Pwned DFU thing. Sn0wbreeze is required for your custom firmware and also likely will do the Pwned DFU. If on the off chance it does not, then use redsn0w. iTunes will be required to perform the actual restore once in Pwned DFU either way.

Thanks

Snow Breeze will do what red snow will do in a slightly different way..... continue with snow breeze get your phone up and running..... open Cydia, run all the updates and reboot, install UltraSn0w, this is required for the unlock and we will sort your SAM vs Hacktivation after!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

--- UPDATE: ---
    I spoke with the guy who I originally got the iPhone from. He said that because my Vodafone NZ
    sim card was the first time to enter the device it shouldn't be locked down. Is this true?

If so I'm gonna let out a huge sigh of relief. Haha.

Thanks

--- UPDATE: ---
    I spoke with the guy who I originally got the iPhone from. He said that because my Vodafone NZ
    sim card was the first time to enter the device it shouldn't be locked down. Is this true?

If so I'm gonna let out a huge sigh of relief. Haha.
    If and only if you saw a message "Your iPhone was successfully unlocked" or "Your iPhone was successfully activated" with the Voda NZ SIM will that work.

If you paid around 500 quid for your iPhone, then that's more likely. If you got it for less than that (or got it subsidized) then you're probably SIM locked...

I think you'd be aware of having a factory- or carrier- unlocked iPhone though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The phone was 550 quid.

My iPhone was factory sealed.

The reason I was worried as I was told from the beginning to unlock my iPhone. It has only come out
    now that this was required for the other person to activate over here in NZ as he orginally activated
    his iPhone over in the UK with a sim he brought from a different store.
    He ended up paying 30 quid to the provider to unlock his iPhone.

So from the get go I used the Sn0w feature of blackra1n.

So hopefully I shouldn't have any issues.

---

On a seperate note.
    Is there any way to make iTunes only load back relevant data that I want.
    Just the following:
    Address Book (Contacts)
    Text Messages

My music side of iTunes crapped out long ago, somehow it lost the database.
    I wasn't too worried about it, I knew one day I would blow it all away and start again.

I have taken all my photos and videos off the iPhone.

Applications I can reinstall.

The reason I ask this is I don't want any legacy crap coming over.
    I have seen inside my iPhone and there is sh*t for Africa all over the place! There are videos and
    pictures that haven't been on the phone in 6 months yet they still exist inside the iPhone unviewable
    to the outside world.
    Last edited by Sn1p3r; 03-06-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Addition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast