+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G still on 4.0 - update help

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, I'm a new user on here but have been checking out this site for Apple news... I have an iPhone 3G, still on 4.0, unlocked on T-Mobile. (I was
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Question 3G still on 4.0 - update help
    Hi, I'm a new user on here but have been checking out this site for Apple news...
    I have an iPhone 3G, still on 4.0, unlocked on T-Mobile. (I was too scared to update and loose the unlock or have something go wrong...) and on Windows.
    4.0 is very slow and have been reluctant to updating and possibly messing up my phone and sim unlock with Ultrasn0w.
    1) Should I rather upgrade to a newer firmware that is a little faster for my 3G or go back? What do you suggest, and what process and programs should I use? (I have some experience with jailbreaking and unlocking process, but I need to be sure)
    2) How can I just restore my phone but keep the unlock or re-unlock? I heard restoring 3G on 4.0 helps speed a little.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Create a custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 (not 2.1, that's no good for the iPhone 3G)

Download a stock 4.1 ipsw and create your custom fw with Sn0wbreeze. Go into expert mode, if you do not have an official carrier's SIM to unlock and select "activate". Do not select wallpaper and multitask as that's what causes the major slowdown on your device. If you have an official SIM, don't select activate either.

Shift+restore to the custom fw you made.

After, you'll be able to access your springboard if you chose activate in Sn0wbreeze. If you did not choose activate, pop your SIM in and activate in iTunes then. Then you can access Cydia on the springboard. Install Ultrasn0w as normal to unlock again.

Edit: I'm going to be honest, 3.1.3 is the best firmware version for your device. If speed is an issue for you, that's the one you want to restore to. I also forgot to mention that these steps to 4.1 require SHSHs. If you don't have SHSHs, you can go up to 4.2.1 if you don't want to go down to 3.1.3.

You'll need PwnageTool for 4.2.1. If you don't have a Mac, you'll need to find a custom 4.2.1 firmware without the iPad baseband packaged (and without multitask and wallpaper). It should be an activated version if you don't have a SIM to activate with. If you do have a SIM, you can download an unactivated version.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 01-31-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for your answer!
    Should I go to 3.1.3 or 4.2.1 (but not use iPad baseband, find activated firmware since I'm needing unlock and not on Mac)?
    If the speed isn't that different, I'd go to 4.2.1 (since I'm used to the 4.0 features) but concerned about that updating baseband so I can never return and downgrade.

Thanks

To be completely honest, I think 3.1.3 is best. But if you have absolute need to be on iOS 4, as long as you disable wallpaper and multitasking it should run decently.

But like I said, you can follow my instructions to preserve your baseband so you won't lose your unlock. If you have SHSHs for 4.1, it'll be best for you to create your own custom fw. If you have a Mac, 4.2.1 is fine too. But if you don't have a Mac and you'd still want 4.2.1 bc you don't have SHSHs for 4.1, you'll need to find the custom fw online.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think I want to stick with 4.0+. Is 4.1 or 4.2.1 better/faster? I know 4.2.1 may have a few new things but not worried about that. I do have SHSH saved.
    Thanks again.

Thanks

4.1 and 4.2.1 like I said runs decently with wallpaper and multitasking disabled. If you'd like to go up to either, just follow the instructions I gave.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you for your help. I used a custom 4.2.1 firmware that does not update the baseband, restored through iTunes, and unlocked. Without the options like you said, multitasking and wallpaper, it works better than expected and it's nice to have the 4+ firmware for newer apps. Thanks again.

Thanks

Glad you are happy