Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to upgrade iPhone 3G to 4.2.1 + unlock WITHOUT ipad baseband?

Red face Complete Newbie
    Hello All,

I am a complete noob when it comes to unlock/jailbreaking an iPhone. I have an iPhone 3g running version 4.2.1 and Firmware 05.15.04. I would like to jailbreak it without doing anything permanent. Is this possible? Maybe something to try and see if I like it and can become proficient. If not then I will have the option to restore and just go back to a shackled lifestyle.

I am staying with my carrier ATT and don't need to unlock for other carriers but I would like to have freedom to use my iPhone as I see fit. I would also like to keep all of my iTunes purchases and downloads.

So I guess I am wondering if it is possible to keep syncing to iTunes and have a jailbroken phone?

I have been reading a lot of posts on the 6.15 broadband method but as I understand it is permanent so if possible I would like to avoid this method.

I am also interested in saving anything I may need to restore my jailbroken phone in case Apple gets tough or I need to restore a jailbroken phone.

To summarize all my psycho babble.....

I would like a solution that will allow me to break free from Apple and flirt with the other side, that will allow me to sync, etc. to iTunes without losing any of my purchases, etc., WITHOUT having to make things permanent (i.e. 6.15 broadband) that is preferably an untethered method (unless there is something better tethered) that will allow me to have my phone with all my apps, contacts, etc. intact and on my phone, with the safety blanket of being able to just restore or wipe and restore back to a normal iPhone should I get into trouble.

Does that run-on make sense? I believe that I will stop sucking my thumb once I get a better understanding of this process so if you could flatter my with your thoughts until I grow up?

Thanks so much for any help in raising this noob!

Rogue

and remember....I need step by step with detail....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

You can just jailbreak your iPhone with redsnow 0.9.6 b8, here is the file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Rogue Kill (09-20-2011)

I'm not sure if redsnow has these options but I read a lot about the different boxes and setup. Do I need any of those options? (I assume not because you didn't mention anything but I am stubborn and repetitive.)

Is there a Mac copy of this? I'm OS X.

Is this method a tethered method?

Does it save those smsh files or whatever? How do I do that in case Apple goes apeshit and I need a way to get back?

Also, once you jailbreak can you still backup in iTunes? How do I restore my phone to keep all the apps? (or does the jailbreak process leave everything as it is?

Lastly, since I assume you can restore back to the un-jailbroken iPhone if I choose....How would I do that?

ps. thanks for your help!!!
    Last edited by Rogue Kill; 09-20-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

It is an untethered jailbreak , just check option install cydia

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Rogue Kill (09-20-2011)

Is there a link for Macs? iOS X?

Thanks

You are only jailbreaking, so nothing will be lost.
    If you going to restore to 4.2.1, once restored do your jailbreak and you can do a backup restore only if you didn't have an issue on your backup file or else your issue will be transferred to the newly restored firmware.
    Doing a backup restore is not recommended but do it only if necessary

I am sure there is, you can also restore to custom firmware using pwnage tools.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Rogue Kill (09-20-2011)

I can't seem to find this program for a Mac OS X. I did find Redsn0w 0.9.9b1. Should I use that one? Do you have a Mac link for the other one?

Thanks,

Thanks

No, you can't use beta1 , I don't have the Mac version.

No, you can't use beta1 , I don't have the Mac version. Here iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]
    Last edited by iYeow; 09-20-2011 at 02:03 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Rogue Kill (09-20-2011)

Thanks! Jailbreak is up and running!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

-iphone-3g.jpg

So this is my iPhone 3Gs present state, though I will Jailbreak(untethered) it using either redsn0w or greenpois0n. I am lucky to have the Bootloader 5.8, thanks to Almighty for that and also thanks to you guys for this awesome thread(How to upgrade iPhone 3G to 4.2.1 + unlock WITHOUT ipad baseband?).

Right now I am just wondering what could be the best option for me to Unlock this device without using the iPad Baseband 06.15 and also NOT end up losing the GPS/Wifi/Carrier signals. Please suggest.

P.S - I am even ready to go for an installation of a fresh or custom(using sn0wbreeze) Firmware version since I am not so much fond of Jailbreak either. But all I just want to make sure about is Unlocking this phone with everything working in it, that's all. Thanks so much for your time.
    Last edited by Tanzir; 10-14-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12