+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: White Screen of Death after Jailbreak/Unlock?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey everyone (and iYeow), I've been going mad over this phone and can't seem to find a way to fix it. Was hoping for one final chance at fixing it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default White Screen of Death after Jailbreak/Unlock?
    Hey everyone (and iYeow),

I've been going mad over this phone and can't seem to find a way to fix it. Was hoping for one final chance at fixing it before I smash this phone.

A little background, I was given an iPhone 3GS with newer bootrom that was on a baseband that at the time was not unlockable. Using the guides here I upgraded the firmware to 4.2.1 and the baseband to 06.15.00 in the hopes of unlocking the phone. I unfortunately had not gone through a tethered jailbreak before and as a result of a few restarts that I had to do with cydia while in the car, found myself at odds with holding onto a tethered jailbreak.

Thankfully, having saved my SHSH blobs earlier on tinyumbrella, I had a way to downgrade to firmware 4.1. After downgrading though, I was constantly restarting in DFU mode and there seemed to be no way to pull the phone out of it. I was, however, at the time able to at least see the apple logo pop up when a restore was going through. NOW, I only see a white screen. As soon as the phone starts going into the restore process on iTunes, a white/light gray screen fades into view and stays there. Then itunes gives me an error, the white screen goes black and I'm back in DFU mode.

The phone's warranty is active until June of 2011... but even though I successfully got the phone back to 4.1 stock... I have that 06.15.00 baseband to deal with so who knows if the Apple Store will be kind this holiday season.

If anyone can help, I'd be forever in your debt.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

So you are back at stock 4.1 ? What do you plan to do ?

Green Apple
    Thanks

At this point I'm feeling like the Apple Store is all I can do? I can't even boot into the phone anymore and nothing comes up on the screen. DFU all the time.

Thanks

If it is DFU all the time, then you should go to apple store and have it replaced. Do it right away and solve your problem..eh.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey, if they're willing to take it.... I gladly will. Sadly the only apple store is 100 miles away. Weekend roadtrip I guess

Thanks

Wow, you must be leaving on a big ranch like Tezas with horses, sheeps and border collie to herd them

Apple won't know because you cannot restore to 4.2.1, it will go into recovery mode unless they have an equipment to test the baseband.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Wow, you must be leaving on a big ranch like Tezas with horses, sheeps and border collie to herd them

Apple won't know because you cannot restore to 4.2.1, it will go into recovery mode unless they have an equipment to test the baseband.
    The IS&T diagnostic program can query the baseband to determine what version of firmware it has installed, as can TinyUmbrella.

Case in point: if they look closely, they could easily detect it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well let's hope they're foolish enough not to.

I live in Chico, California . Not quite a Ranch town... Playboy's #1 party town for 20 years lol.

Thanks

Nearest Apple Store is what, Roseville?

-shrug- all we can do is hope for the best (as in, getting a dumb FST on a busy day who just swaps it on sight, and not getting an Engineer pulling a Head Genius stint).

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol I'm gonna hit Arden Fair in Sacramento. The guys there have done plenty of swaps for me in the past... plus the store is PACKED. I'll wait an extra fifteen minutes if it means they just want to rush me out. If not... I'll hang around and make their life hell until they do the swap.