+ Reply
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567 15 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Fix 1015 error after updating to iPad baseband and trying to restore

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Originally Posted by x98car @orb the only people I have heard being able to boot on 4.2.1 after getting that error are people on iPhone 4 that have updated, not
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    @orb the only people I have heard being able to boot on 4.2.1 after getting that error are people on iPhone 4 that have updated, not restored. Only custom firmware with no baseband in it have people bypassing that 10xx error for 3G and 3GS.
    Same here--though I've heard updates for the 3G(S) are working as well.

Though I've had a person who restored to my 3G 4.2.1 no baseband custom firmware reporting getting stuck at the same recovery screen after restoring to a 06.15.00 4.2.1 one, which is why I asked.

Then again, a person I assisted this morning with a 3G 06.15.00 4.2.1 custom IPSW said they didn't even get stuck in the Recovery mode with that one sole IPSW(don't know if they restored or upgraded)...

I've got a 3G to tinker with, but I'd prefer not screw around with it if I don't have to to figure out a working restore method...

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

Custom firmware is pre-jailbroken firmware, normally with the purpose of preserving baseband for unlockers.

You can restore to 3.1.3 no problem.

You would need a custom 4.2.1 firmware to restore to.

Thanks

@orb ya I have a spare 3G. I may do some experimenting tomorrow

Thanks

I would appreciate it. I guess I can work with mine too (it's been at 1% battery remaining being active and not plugged in since late on the 25th--it's rather scary).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@orb, @x98car, thanks so much for your help.

I now have a successfully unlocked 3.1.2 and feel more confident about the TinyUmbrella -> TSS -> Restore IPSW -> redsn0w -> ultrasn0w method. Embarassingly my forum status is still "What's Jailbreak?" though admittedly that's exactly how I felt a few days ago.

But I can't get 3.1.3 to work - redsn0w complains "unable to recognize specified IPSW". I tried using redsn0w 3.1.2 IPSW (on 3.1.3 phone firmware) but it hung at "installing activation bundles" as per this thread:
    How to Downgrade iPhone OS 3.1 to 3.0 for iPhone 2G 3G 3GS | iPhone

Also - can you guys tell me what's the advantage of the SAM tool rather than simple ultrasn0w unlock? Would this maybe solve the buggy iOS4 firmware issues I was having? I'll try that next...

And can you confirm, then - the max firmware I can use is 4.1 - will I ever be able to upgrade back to 4.2.1 or to the next version?

Thanks!

Thanks

@orb done some testing on my 3G. I updated the baseband when on 4.2.1. Then I restored to a regular 4.1 with SHSH and was able to kick out of recovery with tiny umbrella. Then I updated (not restored) to 4.2.1 and again was able to kick out of recovery with tiny umbrella no problem after 1015 error. So I can confirm that a 3G is just like a iPhone 4 in that the baseband check is only in restoring, not updating.

Going to try restoring it to a custom, no baseband, 4.2.1 now just to make sure I see no errors or end up in recovery.

Ok, just tried a custom 4.2.1 firmware with no baseband and it worked fine for restoring. Did not end up in restore mode after. Booted up normal like it should
    Last edited by Simon; 12-28-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@x98car.
    I know it's not cool to fraternize with n00bs, but good job nonetheless!

I'm gonna try your steps as soon as I get home.

Does this mean 4.2.1 is definitely unlockable?
    And at worst, I can just boot back to 4.1?

Is there any risk at all of permanently bricking the phone? Or was I sweating for no reason? (well for ignorance's sake I guess.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    @orb done some testing on my 3G. I updated the baseband when on 4.2.1. Then I restored to a regular 4.1 with SHSH and was able to kick out of recovery with tiny umbrella. Then I updated (not restored) to 4.2.1 and again was able to kick out of recovery with tiny umbrella no problem after 1015 error. So I can confirm that a 3G is just like a iPhone 4 in that the baseband check is only in restoring, not updating.

Going to try restoring it to a custom, no baseband, 4.2.1 now just to make sure I see no errors or end up in recovery.

Ok, just tried a custom 4.2.1 firmware with no baseband and it worked fine for restoring. Did not end up in restore mode after. Booted up normal like it should
    So it appears the ramdisk check is only if BBUpdaterExtreme runs. Logical.

...just to double-check, you were on 06.15.00 the whole time, right?

I'll see how my 05.13.04 phone does with a baseband-less 4.2.1 restore.

@ZINGAPURO-- Don't feel bad about forum title, as that's purely based on forum post count.

SAM does not bypass the need for the ultrasn0w unlock, rather, it just bypasses the need for PushFix.

After you use blackra1n to hacktivate and bypass the emergency-call screen, you use redsn0w 0.9.6b6 to "deactivate" and then use SAM to convince iTunes you have an AT&T SIM in your phone. With that, Apple will sign your activation and create legitimate unique push certificates. Then you unlock with ultrasn0w and you're off and running.

You will be able to use 4.2.1 and further if I'm reading what X98car is saying correctly--you'll HAVE TO USE a custom (baseband-less) firmware to restore correctly though (which you should be doing anyway).

Thanks

Ya 4.2.1 can be unlocked no problem. There is no chance (or virtually none) that you can permanantely brick the phone. Just have to know how to bring it back to life i something does go wrong

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

sandeephegde (12-30-2010)

Thanks

@orb ya it was on 6.15 the whole time. I did that first before doing anything.

Also SAM has the deactivate built into it now, so no need to run redsnow to do it anymore. Probably shouldn't use blackra1n either, the cydia it installs doesn't boot anymore.

Thanks

I'm now relatively confident if BBUpdaterExtreme doesn't run, that baseband-version check doesn't occur, and my 3G is happily sitting at 4.2.1/05.13.04. How well that'll work on the i4 is another story (different program used to flash the baseband), but, for the 3G(S), it'll be cool.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Very much x98car!!!! The Step 4 in the first post worked for me.
    iPhone 3GS with no 4.1 SHSH. Exact steps. Just that when restoring through itunes with custom firmware we had to keep the iphone in DFU mode before doing restore. We did this on Windows 7.

We were trying to Jailbreak and Unlock when it was stuck in recovery mode and we had to do the above steps to restore and then do the JB and Unlock again.

Thanks Very Much.

Thanks

No prob, glad it worked for you

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I followed through with the jailbreaking procedures using step 4.
    Everything went fine but then it suddenly went back to recovery mode, and when i try to use redsn0w again or restore using itunes, I keep getting the white screen. What do i do???

Thanks

Did you try to boot tethered with redsnow?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes.
    after that, i even opened cydia successfully. i dont exactly know how it went back to recovery mode because i was away for a min.

Thanks

So it is ok now then since you did that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No.
    After I boot tethered, the iphone worked but then it went back to recovery mode.
    So then I tried to repeat the step, but this time when i boot tethered, I a white screen appeared.

Thanks

Are you sure you have a new bootrom 3GS?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yes, I checked with iDetector