+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbreak phone... to update software or carrier settings?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey guys. i receently jailbreaked my phone using Limera1n on my iphone 3gs (version 4.0.2) and have successfully installed cydai. my question is when i plug it my phone into
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default jailbreak phone... to update software or carrier settings?
    Hey guys.

i receently jailbreaked my phone using Limera1n on my iphone 3gs (version 4.0.2) and have successfully installed cydai.

my question is when i plug it my phone into itunes, i get a message asking me to download the new itunes software 4.1.
    should i do this or would it effect my jailbreak?

futhermore after this question another is asked saying an update to the carrier settings for you iphone is available. To update? or will this too effect my jailbreak?

please help me out.

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

One of our moderators wrote an excellent guide to help you upgrade to 4.1. http://modmyi.com/forums/general/737...g-3gs-4-a.html

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, well Cer0 That is not what they were asking. To answer the OP's question. Answering yes to the first question iTunes asked will unjailbreak your phone and update it to iOS version 4.1, which you can then jailbreak by following the instructions in Cer0's link(READ THAT LINK BEFORE ANSWERING YES TO EITHER QUESTIONS!!!!), and answering yes to the second question will upgrade you baseband. If you want to stay where you are with your current jailbreak and iOS version answer no to those both.
    Last edited by Beniled; 11-19-2010 at 01:32 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks Beniled.

So whats the advantage of the version 4.1 when compared to 4.0.2? is it crucial to upgrade?

and also what is the baseband?
    what does an upgraded baseband give up?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paratrooperunit For This Useful Post:

Beniled (11-19-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, there are some differences. The best place to get this info would be wikipedia.com [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history"]here[/ame]. That lists all the different versions and feature that were released with them and which iPhones those feature were applied to.

Here is a short article about what basebands are. You only need to worry about your baseband IF you want to UNLOCK your iPhone, that is use it on a carrier other than one of the official ones. I have AT&T and I have no reason to use another carrier; I don't worry about my baseband.
    Last edited by Beniled; 11-19-2010 at 04:54 AM.