Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Info for Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, 4, & 4S

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    He can't get redsn0w to work. If you have a Mac just use PwnageTool. It doesn't matter what bootrom you have. The only thing that is gonna happen with having the new boot is you're gonna have a tethered jailbreak. You can still use PwnageTool to go to 4.1 and 4.2.1 on the new boot.

Edit: sorry Simon, I just understood what you meant I just remembered he said he could get the 4.2.1 to work.
    Ok, I created a custom ipsw with pwnage, so I just opt-restore to that custom ipsw? No tinyumbrella or anything else I need to know???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You have to put it into DFU with PwnageTool then option+restore to the custom fw.

Why aren't you doing this for 4.1. 4.2.1 is going to be tethered for you...
    Last edited by i.Annie; 12-23-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LeonShotMe (12-24-2010)

You have to put it into DFU with PwnageTool then option+restore to the custom fw.

Why aren't you doing this for 4.1. 4.2.1 is going to be tethered for you...
    K, now I'm really lost. DFU failed with pwnage so I ran it with redsnow, it's obviously not working. 4.1? But I'm trying to update to 4.2? I was able to make a custom ipsw for 4.0 with pwnage and am trying to restore to that as I think you said.

Ok, so let me try this from the top!
    1. custom 4.0 ipsw with pwnage
    2. TRY to put into dfu
    3. opt-restore to custom dfu?
    4. Haven't made it this far yet.

BTW, when opening pwnage I get a red window that says I don't have itunes 8 or later....but I have the latest version

Thanks

Ok no...um you don't have your SHSHs? Because I was just asking why you wanted to go to 4.2.1 because the jb will be tethered. You'll need SHSHs to restore to 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, or 4.1. No SHSHs needed for 4.2.1. You'll need to put it into pwned DFU or else you can't use any custom firmwares.

As for the error, you should uninstall iTunes completely and then reinstall it again.

Edit: PwnageTool 4.1.3 is the version you need.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 12-23-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LeonShotMe (12-24-2010)

Ok no...um you don't have your SHSHs? Because I was just asking why you wanted to go to 4.2.1 because the jb will be tethered. You'll need SHSHs to restore to 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, or 4.1. No SHSHs needed for 4.2.1. You'll need to put it into pwned DFU or else you can't use any custom firmwares.

As for the error, you should uninstall iTunes completely and then reinstall it again.

Edit: PwnageTool 4.1.3 is the version you need.
    Ok.
    1. pwnagetool 4.1.3
    -expert mode?
    -custom packages or build?
    2. DFU mode on pwnagetool
    3. iTunes
    -opt restore to custom ipsw
    -At this point I guess I'm going to need someone to send me a custom 4.1 ipsw

Also, I clicked NO on upgrading to ipad basband because I wish to keep my gps capabilities

Thanks

Ok you need to figure out if you're wanting to go to 4.2.1 tethered or 4.1. If you want 4.1 you need to figure out if you have SHSHs for it. Then come back and tell me that much.

Secondly, you don't need someone to send you a custom firmware if you have a Mac and can make it yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LeonShotMe (12-24-2010)

Well I guess I don't want to be tethered (had read somewhere that 3GS could be untether, guess I was wrong).
    As far as the SHSH goes, I saved them on several occasions on 4.0.1, never had 4.1 so don't think I have the blobs for it.

Thanks

You need to do some research and I will point you in the right direction because you are confusing yourself and me.

It is only untethered on 4.2.1 for a 3Gs with the old bootrom. You said you have the new bootrom, it will be tethered.

SHSHs are saved in certain timeframes. You don't have to be on a firmware to save the SHSH for it. It also applies that just because you are on a certain firmware doesn't mean you can save it if Apple has stopped signing it. For example, just because you are on 4.0.1 right now doesn't mean if you save your SHSHs now you will have 4.0.1. You'll only be able to grab 4.2.1 right now.

Also, just because you've never been on 4.1 doesn't mean you can't have the SHSHs for it. Also, you don't have to save your SHSHs multiple times. Once you save one with that device, it will automatically save any new ones that have been released later on.

You should really check your SHSHs in TinyUmbrella or Cydia and see what is reported.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LeonShotMe (12-24-2010)

You need to do some research and I will point you in the right direction because you are confusing yourself and me.
    So sorry, thought I had done the research, but all that was wiped clean when pwnage tool came into the mix.

It is only untethered on 4.2.1 for a 3Gs with the old bootrom. You said you have the new bootrom, it will be tethered.
    Ah! My mistake.

SHSHs are saved in certain timeframes. You don't have to be on a firmware to save the SHSH for it. It also applies that just because you are on a certain firmware doesn't mean you can save it if Apple has stopped signing it. For example, just because you are on 4.0.1 right now doesn't mean if you save your SHSHs now you will have 4.0.1. You'll only be able to grab 4.2.1 right now.

Also, just because you've never been on 4.1 doesn't mean you can't have the SHSHs for it. Also, you don't have to save your SHSHs multiple times. Once you save one with that device, it will automatically save any new ones that have been released later on.

You should really check your SHSHs in TinyUmbrella or Cydia and see what is reported.
    I started emailing myself my blobs back before 4.1 was released, so I should have it, right? Cydia is out of the question considering I've been in the restore loop for 3 days now.
    Checked Tiny Umbrella and I have: 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1, and 4.2.1

Thanks

That's great.

Download a stock 4.1 ipsw.

Get PwnageTool 4.1.2.

Make sure your iTunes is updated.

1) create a custom firmware with PwnageTool in expert mode. If you don't have an official SIM to activate, you must select activate/hacktivate in PwnageTool. Be sure to not select the baseband update since you said you didn't want that.

2) after the custom fw is created, PwnageTool will help set your phone into pwned DFU. simply follow the on-screen prompts.

3) once in DFU, you may open TinyUmbrella and run the TSS Server.

4) once the server is running, you can open iTunes and option+restore to the custom 4.1 ipsw.

5) then after the restore is finished, you should be able to access your springboard and Cydia should be there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

LeonShotMe (12-24-2010)

Ok! Well, I got that started and took a shower cus im on the way out the door so I thought I would drop a message. Got out of the shower and it has not moved from the restore phase (progress bar is stuck at about 98%, just like every other time I've tried it). What length of time is common for this to take place? I want to believe that when I get back from the movies it'll be done but right now I'm not too hopeful as it's done the same thing it's done every other time at about the same exact spot every time......so I think it might not have worked. I made sure to follow every step word for word because after 3 days I'm ready to have my phone back lol. I'll update when I get back..

Thanks

I think you should try another computer or uninstall and reinstall iTunes because it shouldn't take long to restore a 3GS. It takes my iPhone 4 less than 10 minutes.

Well, I don't have a clue what I did, but when I got home the progress bar was in the exact same spot (surprise surprise!), right when I was about to shut it all down I closed TInyUmbrella then BAM, it was done! Updated successfully, thanks so much annie!

Now that I'm back up n running I just have a few more concerns. As far as itunes goes, it won't let me download any of the updates for my apps, I get an error that can't connect to the store (even though I can roam the store and still make purchases, just not for updates for some reason) I'm hoping reinstalling itunes will take care of that problem. ****Next, how can I activate my cell/data network? As it stands I do have a working sim card in the phone but have no 3G (or any cell signal for that matter), so I currently have an ipod, lol.****
    The answer to my next question should hopefully resolve the previous one, how can I restore all my Cydia packages back to my phone so I don't have to go through reinstalling each individual one?

Thank you so much again and happy holidays!!

****Ultrasnow took care of that one!
    Last edited by LeonShotMe; 12-24-2010 at 03:30 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Preserve baseband/PwnageTool Method (Windows users):

Downloads:
    1) PwnageTool made custom 4.1 ipsw
    2) iTunes 10 and up
    3) Redsn0w 0.9.6b2
    4) stock 4.1 ipsw

Steps:
    1) Find a custom 4.1 ipsw made by PwnageTool 4.1.2. You can either search the web, or if you know someone with a Mac have them build and send the custom fw to you. If you have a friend with a Mac, just borrow it and follow the above steps for Mac PwnageTool method.
    2) Once you get a hold of a custom 4.1 firmware, open Redsn0w 0.9.6b2
    3) browse to stock 4.1 ipsw (not the custom one)
    4) Follow Redsn0w's timer to set device into DFU mode
    5) open iTunes
    6) shift + restore to the custom 4.1 ipsw made by PwnageTool
    7) after restore, it should give you access to your home screen (if you hacktivated).
    8) if you didn't hacktivate, you'll be at the emergency call screen. Activate with your SIM in iTunes now to access springboard.
    9) unlock with Ultrasn0w if needed.

**iPhone 4/downgrade to 4.0.x**
    I am way new at this and i think this step pertains to me. I have a jb and unlocked 3Gs fone right now operating on V. 3.1.3 on the new baseban. (I tried the steps above for the 3gs upgrade without unlock four times before i realized that it would not work) (silly me) Well, anyways, i have searched the web and cannot find a custom 4.1 firmware. Does anyone have one or know specifically where I can get one. Also, if there is an easier way to go about this. Please let me know. I only want to ungrade to 4.1 and JB. I will worry about the unlock later if I go back outside the country. But for now it's stateside for me. Please help! Thanks!

Thanks

You can only do this with SHSHs saved. So you should find that out first.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the SHSH's saved for 3.1.3 saved only

Thanks

Are you sure about that. What did you check with. If you had saved when 3.1.3 was available you should have everything up to 4.2b3 right now.

Default ipod 4th gen j/b help ??
    Can you please help me jailbreak my ipod 4th gen ? Please anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmagana View Post
    Can you please help me jailbreak my ipod 4th gen ? Please anyone ?
    If you're on 4.1 use greenpois0n, if you're on 4.2.1, use redsn0w

Thanks
    Thanked 15,534 Times in 7,104 Posts

Also stop posting the same question on different threads...

Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7891011 19 ... LastLast