+ Reply
Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6 465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1174

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Info for Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, 4, & 4S

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Use redsnow again on it. Select jailbreak. Then select to install cydia.
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,160 Times in 6,963 Posts

Use redsnow again on it. Select jailbreak. Then select to install cydia.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

jaguma (01-23-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Excellent it is working smooth now. Annie & Simon many thanks for your help.

Thanks

no prob
    Although Annie did most of the work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi folks,
    a friend of mine got an iphone 4s and gave me her old 3gs.
    i guess she wiped the phone completely and there's no iOS on there because when i turn it on, it says to connect to itunes and shows a usb cable.

for now, i'm not planning on using it as a phone since i already have an unlocked 3gs on os3.1, but wanted to load either iOS4 or 5 and use it for the apps that only run in OS4 or higher. from what i read, updating the phone to the latest OS updates it to the latest baseband that can't be unlocked? (want to keep the option of being able to unlock it in the future, just in case.)

i'm trying to figure out what is the best way for me to go beforehand instead of guessing and possibly screwing it totally. (like i commonly do )
    i tried searching around but there's so much info out there, i just dont know where to begin.

other related info.
    from what i can tell, the phone was manufactured in 23rd week of 2009.
    the phone was never jailbroken or unlocked
    she doesn't remember what was the last iOS version she updated to. (she got the 4s the first week it came out, so it was probably the update that came out around that time.)
    i have the original att sim card.
    i'm on a mac.

any help appreciated
    Last edited by cuttooth; 01-24-2012 at 09:34 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How do I get information about a 3G before doing anything on it? Do I need to be in DFU to read it?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmaslin View Post
    How do I get information about a 3G before doing anything on it? Do I need to be in DFU to read it?
    settings>General scroll up/down all info is there!! no DFU is needed

[QUOTE=cuttooth;6380816]hi folks,
    a friend of mine got an iphone 4s and gave me her old 3gs.
    i guess she wiped the phone completely and there's no iOS on there because when i turn it on, it says to connect to itunes and shows a usb cable.

for now, i'm not planning on using it as a phone since i already have an unlocked 3gs on os3.1, but wanted to load either iOS4 or 5 and use it for the apps that only run in OS4 or higher. from what i read, updating the phone to the latest OS updates it to the latest baseband that can't be unlocked? (want to keep the option of being able to unlock it in the future, just in case.)

i'm trying to figure out what is the best way for me to go beforehand instead of guessing and possibly screwing it totally. (like i commonly do )
    i tried searching around but there's so much info out there, i just dont know where to begin.

other related info.
    from what i can tell, the phone was manufactured in 23rd week of 2009.
    the phone was never jailbroken or unlocked
    she doesn't remember what was the last iOS version she updated to. (she got the 4s the first week it came out, so it was probably the update that came out around that time.)
    i have the original att sim card.
    i'm on a mac.

any help appreciated

open itune, connect usb cable and see if it reboots the device, if so then settings>General, all info of device is there. You will then have to create cfw (custom firm ware) to preserve your base band( check the latest ultrasnow see which BB it supports) if just so happens that you BB is "unlockable" then you M-u-s-t use either redsnow or snowbreeze if you on PC for Mac use pwnagetool to create cwf to jailbreak the open cydia and search for ultrasnow to unlock. this website here have steps by steps instructions check it out!!
    Last edited by Neil001; 01-31-2012 at 06:13 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil001 For This Useful Post:

cuttooth (02-01-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks neil for the reply.

i did get everything going over the last weekend. phone is now unlocked/jb on 5.0.1.

when i first got it, the phone was stuck in restore mode so didn't know what os and bb it had. thankfully TU was able to get it out of restore mode. phone was on 3.1.3 with bb 5.11.07.

used pwnage tool to create a cfw for 4.1, then later 5.0.1.

the phone runs pretty speedy on os5. after reading some others comments about the 3gs and os5, i thought it would lag more for some reason.

so far so good except for the phone shutting off by itself a couple of times. not sure why it did that and not sure if it was software or hardware based. we'll see i guess.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Neil001
    I should have mentioned that I received a 3G iPhone in restore mode so it isn't booted. My current iTunes version is 10.5 and my sync is disabled. The message I receive from iTunes is that it would like to read my phone before restoring it. I don't know what was done to this phone before I got it and I am hesitant to just restore it blindly. Is there another way to find out what is on the phone or is this not a requirement here?
    Last edited by gmaslin; 02-01-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: omission

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, i have a 3G on IOS 4.1 and BB 5.12.01 so it's unlockable with Ultrasn0w. I had a problem while updating mobilesubstrate and the phone entered on a continous boot loop, i don't mind to restore it but i have a doubt. If i get a friend with a MAC (i have PC) to make me a custom 4.1 IPSW i can JB with redsn0w and then unlock with ultrasn0w, isn't it?. So far that's what i have read in the forums, my doubt is if i have to use redsn0w 0.9.6 b2 for 4.1 or i can use te latest version?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pepopudo View Post
    Hi, i have a 3G on IOS 4.1 and BB 5.12.01 so it's unlockable with Ultrasn0w. I had a problem while updating mobilesubstrate and the phone entered on a continous boot loop, i don't mind to restore it but i have a doubt. If i get a friend with a MAC (i have PC) to make me a custom 4.1 IPSW i can JB with redsn0w and then unlock with ultrasn0w, isn't it?. So far that's what i have read in the forums, my doubt is if i have to use redsn0w 0.9.6 b2 for 4.1 or i can use te latest version?
    use redsnow 0.9.6rc19 to create cfw to j/b and preserve your bb open cydia, search for ultrasnow to unlock...... good luck!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil001 For This Useful Post:

pepopudo (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You could use Sn0wbreeze on your Windows machine to create a custom fw. For 4.1, I would suggest using version 2.0.2 of Sn0wbreeze. It works better with an iPhone 3G than v2.1. With use of custom fw you don't need to jailbreak again with redsn0w. Custom fw will restore and jb simultaneously. Just don't forget to set your device into pwned DFU mode with Sn0wbreeze before doing the restore to custom 4.1.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Neil001 (02-02-2012), pepopudo (02-03-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hey Annie quick question for ya!!
    last week i j/b my 4S and Ipad 2 with Absinthe, its been working fine until i notice i no longer get the landscape view when i turn the phone sideway have you heard anything in refference to this. I did install intelliScreenX, do u think this have anything to do with it? I thank you in advance!!

Thanks

Do you have anything else installed? Also check if you have orientation locked. Open your native multitask, swipe to the right, notice the music icon. On the far left is a circular arrow that controls the orientation lock. Tap on that if there is a lock in the middle of the icon and it should unlock it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Neil001 (02-02-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yes, orientation was lock, don't recall how I did it?? But it's unlock now :-). Any news on unlock for 4S, 5.0.1 or am I wishful thinking

Thanks

Wishful thinking

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i.Annie
    I've haven't received a reply to my posts so I'm reforming the question. I received a 3G in restore mode; if the history of a 3G is unknown, what is the worst possible result if restored with iTunes 10.5.x?

Thanks

i.Annie
    I've haven't received a reply to my posts so I'm reforming the question. I received a 3G in restore mode; if the history of a 3G is unknown, what is the worst possible result if restored with iTunes 10.5.x?
    Depends if you want to unlock or not. If you dont need to unlock it will restore to 4.2.1 and you will be fine. If you do want to unlock try restoring to 3.1.3 first. If you get a 1015 error use tiny umbrella to kick out of recovery then check what your baseband is when it boots up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, i.annie and Neil001, thanks to your replies, i could restore my 3g on 4.1 out of the boot loop but now i can't unlock because of a crash every time i try to install ultrasn0w. while installing ultrasnow it also downloads mobile substrate, when the progress bar is 1/3 of installing mobile substrate it crashes and resets my iphone. i tried to install mobile substrate first separately and it does the same... and as long as i know (and its not much) i can't install ultrasnow without installing mobile substrate... Any ideas?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Simon
    Thanks for the directions. I've never used tinyumbrella, will the program see the 3G iPhone after the failed restore with 3.1.3? Do the default selections in tinyumbrella remain unchanged? Do I need to be in DFU mode?

Thanks

Simon
    Thanks for the directions. I've never used tinyumbrella, will the program see the 3G iPhone after the failed restore with 3.1.3? Do the default selections in tinyumbrella remain unchanged? Do I need to be in DFU mode?
    Yes, it will come up as a question mark in tiny umbrella on the left side. Just click on there then click exit recovery on the right side.