+ Reply
Page 52 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 425051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1174

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Info for Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, 4, & 4S

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi Annie and Simon, its been a while since I Jailbroke my Iphone 4 on 4.1. I need baseband preservation and have read thru a bunch of pages as well
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Annie and Simon, its been a while since I Jailbroke my Iphone 4 on 4.1. I need baseband preservation and have read thru a bunch of pages as well as the sticky. i still had several questions before I update to 4.3.3.

1. I noticed that the directions for upgrading to 4.3.3 no longer requires the TU Tss running in last phase of the process, the Shift Restore phase. Why is that, is it that creating a custom firmware negates the apple shsh sign off?

2. Also in the host file, the last time I updated my Iphone way back, I did modify my host to 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com, and i just checked today and it is still there. Do i need to delete that line? I read the Newst version of TU no longer needs that edit, or just leave it alone and all should be fine? What should be checked in the advance tab during this process? I am assuming everything, which is different from the saving shsh process where you uncheck the cydia box.

So far i have done the following:
    1. Downloaded 4.3.3 IPSW and corresponding version of Snowbreeze and created a Custom 4.3.3 IPSW
    2. So i just want the above questions answered before I continue.
    3. And from what i read, i should continue with Redsnow to put the Iphone into pwned DFU and then point it to the stock 4.3.3 BUT restore to Custom 4.3.3 IPSW with Itunes? I am a little vague about this part since i have not tried it yet, but i am sure it will make sense once i run thru it.

Thanks in advance, want to besure I do this right bc i dont want to lose the unlock or be forced to update the baseband if i mess up. Sorry for being so lengthy
    Last edited by curyousgee; 09-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

1) not sure what you mean. The TSS server is running to point away from Apple's server and to Cydia's. The shift+restore is done in iTunes.
    2) TU's TSS server does the same thing as manually editing the host file. If you've got the host file edited you can leave it be or change it back to normal. TSS Server will serve the same purpose.

To clear the confusion just skip the redsn0w DFU. just use Sn0wbreeze to put into pwned DFU. Open TU, run TSS Server, open iTunes, shift+restore to custom firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Annie,

Thanks for clarifying, from the first sticky page under:

"UPGRADING TO 4.3.3 WHILE PRESERVING UNLOCKABLE BASEBAND (1.59.00 and 5.13.04 OR BELOW) SHSHs ARE REQUIRED TO DO THIS AS OF NOW"

There was no mention of running TinyUmbrellas TSS so I got a little confused since apple isnt signing 4.3.3 anymore, but based on your response, we still need TinyUmbrellas TSS during the Itunes restore to CFU step right. Is the reason why it is not mentioned in the sticky is that its just understood?

Also when running TinyUnbrellas TSS at this phase, on the advance tab, we check the Cydia box to have the TSS Seriver point to Cydia during the CFW retore step with Itunes right?

Thanks Again and Appreciate all the help, Sorry for all the extra questions, just want to be completely sure.

G

p.s. Running Iphone 4 with Firmware of 4.1 and baseband of 01.59.00
    Last edited by curyousgee; 09-09-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks

I thought I updated it. Guess not. That's bc when I wrote it at that time 4.3.3 was the newest signed fw. At this point it is not and the TSS Server as well as 4.3.3 SHSHs are required.

All you really have to do is start the TSS Server. There really isn't any extra steps to it. Using a custom fw just don't forget to set it into pwned DFU. The steps are simple as follows:

1) set device into pwned DFU
    2) run TSS Server
    3) open iTunes
    4) shift+restore to custom fw

That's it.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-09-2011 at 09:02 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool, thanks Annie, I think I got it all down now. When I was reading the sticky, it said updated 8/15, so I was not sure if that was before or after apple stop signing 4.3.3.

Last time I jailbreaked the Iphone was with GP on 4.1, so i think the biggest difference this time around that I learned is with Sn0wbreeze I need to get the device into PWNed DFU not just regular DFU, first time I tried, I was in regular DFU and got the error 20.

Now everything is clear, thanks for all the help and have a great day. Appreciate the quick response.

off topic: we finally have graeters ice cream in Los Angeles.....black raspberry chip is soo good.

Thanks

+1. my favorite flavor from graeter's!

And sorry about the confusion, you got me confused to :/ I usually update far enough and make sure the steps are correct. Now I'll have to go look it over whenever I get to be on my Mac. Lol, as long as you follow my basic outline that I just gave you it should be fine.

Thanks

Any news about the full unlock for the iphone 4 running on 4.3.5 fw ... I'm using the temporary tethered unlock.
    BOTE

Thanks

I'm not sure if you meant tethered jb, but any jb on 4.3.5 is still tethered. The Gevey Ultra I believe is now an untethered unlock.

Thanks

I.Annie, your right about the tethered jb. I'm on tmobile n kinda frustrated coz some application on cydia that I installed needs a reboot so I have to used redsnow again to tethered reboot. I'll check about the gevey and let u know. Thank u :-)

Thanks

Your jailbreak will still be tethered though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a similar situation as curyousgee. I'm jb'n with GP, but haven't upgraded since initial 4.1. I was gonna use SB and custom fw. Put that off bc I didn't want to deal with re-doing all the mods, plus there's no unlock for bb 2.10.04. So, I guess I don't need to preserve bb. Perhaps you have input. I used TU and have shsh's 4.3.3, 4.3.4, 4.3.5, 5.0b1 thru 5.0b6. I wanted to upgrade to at least 4.2.1, but I never hit the "make my life easy button." Guess I missed the boat. So, can I upgrade to an untethered JB and keep all mods? Would that be 4.3.3? Is it stable? If not, what are the issues? I've read every page of this thread. Is it true that I could upgrade without affecting any of my media, mods, apps, etc.? Would I have to use pkgbackup? Not all of my music is stored or backedup. Thx!

Thanks

Get TinyUmbrella, click Save SHSHs and see what SHSHs you've got (if any). You can't do any upgrades past 4.1 without SHSHs. Find that out first before worrying about what you can do to backup your stuff.

Thanks

He said he has blobs for 4.3.3 up so backing up with pkgbackup and in iTunes and restoring to 4.3.3, jailbreaking with RedSn0w and restoring from iTunes and pkgbackup should be fine.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

rwrobin01 (09-14-2011)

Thanks

Huh, the whole not clicking "make my life easier" statement threw me off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

rwrobin01 (09-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Pardon the confusion. I was trying to provide as much info as possible. I was merely saying I didn't save shsh previously using Cydia. That's why I don't have any prior to 4.3.3.

I have iphone3, 1-4.3.3.

Now, as far as backing up. What can I expect to lose? If I don't have all media that's on my phone in itunes, will I lose that? If so, I'll have to inventory so I can retrieve. Will I lose mods and tweaks?
    Last edited by rwrobin01; 09-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks

So no 4.2.1 huh? I mean 4.3.3 is fine too but if asked for my preference I'd choose 4.2.1.

Well you could run TU, start TSS Server and shift+restore to stock 4.3.3. Then jb with redsn0w, I like that jb tool the best

As far as backing up, confucious said it. Pkgbackup will backup your Cydia stuff as a contact so be sure to have your contacts backed up in iTunes under "Info"

Typically creating a backup in iTunes will do the contacts automatically but I like to manually back everything I can to my computer just in case a backup I created gets corrupt or won't load (has happened to me before).

But yeah for contacts, settings, photos etc. creating a backup in iTunes before the restore will keep all your info intact so you can load it all back up to your phone after upgrading to 4.3.3.

In terms of stability, so long as you use redsn0w to jb it'll be fine though you might want to enable the option to allow your baseband to be upgraded or else you'll get the signal bar issue. So unless you want to install Ultrasn0w which fixes the issue but is something you don't need on your device (could have some extra battery drain in some cases) then I suggest taking your baseband up to the one that comes with 4.3.3.

Edit: running TU will automatically allow your bb to be preserved. In TU is where you'll select the option to allow the bb to be upgraded, so long as you use a stock and not custom fw.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

rwrobin01 (09-14-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok. Would you point me toward a safe dl of redsnow?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This is the safest possible -- the source : Dev-Team Blog

Scroll down until you find the last released version.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

rwrobin01 (09-14-2011)

Thanks

Correct answer Mes - unfortunately, having just checked the blog it's not that obvious - the current links are

Mac RedSn0w
    Windows RedSn0w

I'll see if I can make it easier to find on the blog, it always has the latest but people do need to be able to find them!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

rwrobin01 (09-14-2011)

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Easy links for the active versions would be helpful as well (ie: versions for 3.1.3, and 4.1, etc)