Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Info for Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, 4, & 4S

Thanks
    Thanked 15,288 Times in 7,012 Posts

You dont REALLY need SAM but if you see your battery draining excessively you may want to give it a go again. Add this to your sources in cydia to get it: repo.bingner.com.

This is his website: Subscriber Artificial Module

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

cleitius (07-11-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You dont REALLY need SAM but if you see your battery draining excessively you may want to give it a go again. Add this to your sources in cydia to get it: repo.bingner.com.

Simon is correct, since you did not use iPad's bb because u kept you old bb there is no need to install "SAM"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil001 For This Useful Post:

cleitius (07-11-2011)

Thanks

That's not really where I was going with that. SAM gives you a authentic activation which in turn fixes your push notifications (which is the source of the battery drain). Having the iPad baseband doesn't really affect anything to do with SAM. In theory a iPhone on 4.3.3 with 5.12 baseband that has been Hactivated should experience the same issues as a Hactivated iPhone on 4.3.3 with the iPad baseband. It's a hactivation issue, not a baseband one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

cleitius (07-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So true. That's why I use an official AT&T SIM for activation. Apple has been putting the squeeze on jailbreaking/unlocking for a long time. It started with a broken YouTube, then Push, now FaceTime. Not sure if I'm missing anything. All these are related to activation not the iDevice baseband. At times, the solutions have been hit-or-miss but we're keeping up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

cleitius (07-11-2011)

Thanks

Yup, same here. I have AT&T, Rogers, O2, Vodaphone, Orange sims (just to name a few) that I use to activate iPhones properly.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^Wow Simon . Think you have enough SIMs?

Question: Wouldn't one SIM handle activations for all authorized networks?

Thanks

Nope. If a iPhone is locked to AT&T then only a AT&T sim will activate it. Same goes for iPhones locked to other carriers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Mes (07-11-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks. It makes sense, but it you've made it very clear.

Thanks for the great guide.
    I have a question - would I be able to upgrade to 4.3.3 without being jailbroken in the end (which it seems that's what will happen if I follow this guide entirely), but still preserving baseband? What I plan on doing is to be on 4.3.3 and use jailbreakme.com instead, and preserve my baseband so I can unlock in the future if i need to (i'm NOT dependent on carrier unlock). can anyone comment whether this is a good idea?

i have 3Gs, 4.0.1, 05.13.04

It's not possible
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mojof1 View Post
    .... What I plan on doing is to be on 4.3.3 and use jailbreakme.com instead, and preserve my baseband so I can unlock in the future if i need to (i'm NOT dependent on carrier unlock). can anyone comment whether this is a good idea?

i have 3Gs, 4.0.1, 05.13.04
    No. You must built and load (w/shift/click/select) a custom firmware to save the baseband for future unlocks. PwnageTool or Sn0wbreeze are your friends .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This would only be possible on an iPhone 4. TinyUmbrella preserves the baseband even when using a stock 4.3.3. Unfortunately the other iPhones don't get this luxury.

I will say this, there's no difference if you upgrade to 4.3.3 with a custom fw or if you upgrade with a stock fw and use jailbreakme. You get the same results. Actually some people aren't quite liking jailbreakme for some little bugs. It might just benefit you to do it with SB/PT.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    This would only be possible on an iPhone 4. TinyUmbrella preserves the baseband even when using a stock 4.3.3. Unfortunately the other iPhones don't get this luxury.

I will say this, there's no difference if you upgrade to 4.3.3 with a custom fw or if you upgrade with a stock fw and use jailbreakme. You get the same results. Actually some people aren't quite liking jailbreakme for some little bugs. It might just benefit you to do it with SB/PT.

ok, I'll just take your advice and follow your method then. thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    have fun
    sorry 1 more question, not sure if i'm just blind or can't search properly - this is an UNTETHERED jailbreak right?
    thankssss again.

^Yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Thanks

Upgrading/jailbreaking/unlocking- 3gs 3.1.2 to 4.3.3 preserving BB!
    Build costum FW with Sn0wbreeze, JB with Redsnow 0.9.6rc16, unlocked ultrasn0w!

Just followed the steps as in Annie's thread, and everything went smooth. Now I have my iPhone 3gs on iOS 4.3.3 (05.11.07)!

Nope. If a iPhone is locked to AT&T then only a AT&T sim will activate it. Same goes for iPhones locked to other carriers
    Thanks a lot for the answers.
    And as usual, , one more question! Is there any way to find out what provider was my iPhone locked, AT&T or ......? And if I use SAM but doesn't help can I still try to find a AT&T sim and to use it to activate?

And again thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cleitius; 07-13-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

You can check which carrier is from by model number : iPhone 3G/3Gs Model Numbers Country and Carrier - GSM-Forum
    Yes, you can use any unused / used sim to trigger it into Homescreen.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

cleitius (07-13-2011)

Thanks

Is this the appropriate guide for me, I don't have a official SIM Card ? iClarified - iPhone - How to Hactivation Your iPhone Using Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM)

And which option should I take:
    Option #1: Click "Revert Lockdownd to Stock" in Settings>SAM

Option #2: redsn0w for iPhone 3G or 3GS on firmware 4.0 or later
    Download redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or later from Dev-Team Blog
    Run redsn0w and select the "Deactivate" option

Option #3: my custom stockify program - works on any phone 3.0+ (same as #1)
    With SAM and SAMPrefs installed; install openssh and secure shell into your phone. Run "stockify" and it will revert your lockdownd to a stock lockdownd
    Reboot your phone

Last edited by cleitius; 07-13-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleitius View Post
    Is this the appropriate guide for me? iClarified - iPhone - How to Hactivation Your iPhone Using Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM)

And which option should I take:
    Option #1: Click "Revert Lockdownd to Stock" in Settings>SAM

Option #2: redsn0w for iPhone 3G or 3GS on firmware 4.0 or later
    Download redsn0w 0.9.6b6 or later from Dev-Team Blog
    Run redsn0w and select the "Deactivate" option

Option #3: my custom stockify program - works on any phone 3.0+ (same as #1)
    With SAM and SAMPrefs installed; install openssh and secure shell into your phone. Run "stockify" and it will revert your lockdownd to a stock lockdownd
    Reboot your phone

been a while since I used SAM, but it seems that all 3 are just different "tools" to do the same thing - the part you may need to tweak is where SAM asks for carrier - AUTO did not work for me, I had to simply go manual using carrier and country for my current SIM. In my case it is Telenor, Norway. And then it worked fine - I got the wild card activated notification in SAM.

SAM also helped to get unique push certificates - my notifications were flakey in the beginning. I looked into push doctor but his server was overloaded or just ran out of certs, looked into push fix but was not worth the cost for me, but I did use their free push checker to test my push and saw my certs were not unique, although most of my apps were pushing notifications ok, a few were hit or miss. anyway, I used SAM to clear push and then reconnect to itunes to get new certs - took a couple of tries until I got confirmation they were unique with push checker.
    --
    Brick & Mortar Mantra: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Web Mantra: If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cheme75 For This Useful Post:

cleitius (07-13-2011)

Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast