+ Reply
Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 51 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General Info for Jailbreaking iPhone 3GS, 4, & 4S

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
What are the first 5 digits of your phone's serial number?
    Thanks

What are the first 5 digits of your phone's serial number?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Look at your serial # and determine if it new or old model

Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 Times in 6,640 Posts

You can use idetector to tell if you have old or new bootrom too.

kk8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    What do you want to load? As reported by TU, you have 2 choices, 4.1 and 4.3.1?

PwnageTool is different for each iOS version. The latest post on Dev-Team Blog has the links for PwnageTool for 4.3.1 PLUS some great reading. I suggest reading many of the posts. A great 4.3.1 3GS tutorial can be found here: iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.3.1]

If you want to load 4.1, look at older posts on the DevTeam linked page above or search the iClarified site (second link) for a PwnageTool tutorial for 4.1

Not sure I understand, but if you're asking about loading the same version already installed -- you can not! TU does not have SHSH blobs for 3.0.1 saved.
    Mes # 792
    tks for your reply. i have found iclarified tutorial on how to jailbreak 3gs using Pwnage tool 9mac) 4.3.1

before i proceed with this, pls clarify if after doing this will i be able to retain my phone data? i u/stand that contacts, photos etc will be backed up by itunes (i use ver 9.2.1) but what about the messages sms etc? i need to save them too. what do you suggest? also all the apps i have on iphone, will they work too?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

@kk8
    Before you start do a backup of your device via itune, with device connected sync the contact list, photo, memo, etc to your window's contact or outlook. Proceed to jb device after all it completed, you will come to screen where itune will ask if you want to setup with restore from backup or set as new! Select "new" then sync everything back to your device. Some of your apps will be sync over as well, they should work. However the hacked apps will be lost, you will need to download them again. Remember under info tab on itune will allow you to sync what ever you want to keep to window/ outlook, then sync them back once your done!!

kk8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neil001 View Post
    @kk8
    Before you start do a backup of your device via itune, with device connected sync the contact list, photo, memo, etc to your window's contact or outlook. Proceed to jb device after all it completed, you will come to screen where itune will ask if you want to setup with restore from backup or set as new! Select "new" then sync everything back to your device. Some of your apps will be sync over as well, they should work. However the hacked apps will be lost, you will need to download them again. Remember under info tab on itune will allow you to sync what ever you want to keep to window/ outlook, then sync them back once your done!!
    Tell me, is it worth to upgrade from current ver 3.0.1 to 4.3.1.....as such i dont have a specific reason to do so at cost of losing some data like sms messages , some apps, etc.......

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Other then be able to run some of the new apps and a few new features that comes with 4.XX.XX like folders, the game room multi task etc. You will give up some speed going to 4.3.1. Btw you best save your SHSH for 4.3.1 because 4.3.2 is to be release soon, as with any new iOS "do not update" until it's safe

kk8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

btw , what do you mean by "save your shsh for 4.3.1" ? as advised previousl;y i had done foll:

gone on TU and downloaded and saved foll shsh (whether it was on phone or mac i dont know)

iphone 3gs 4.1 (8B117)-3782425279988
    iphone 3gs 4.3.1 (8G4) - 3782425279988

but the log showed foll msgs
    "Cydia does not have your shsh for iphone 3gs ver 3.0.1 (7A400) there is no way for you to get them. sorry you are too late"
    the above was one of the logs, it did also say
    "you have saved your iphone 3gs 4.1 (8B117) and 4.3.1 (8G4) shsh locally and the request was sent to Cydia. This means that Cydia does have your Shsh. Do not bug Semaphore about the cydia home page showing this version"

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

My bad, I forgot that you already did that! :-) just a habit to tell people to save their SHSH. Without SHSH you can't do anything!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil001 For This Useful Post:

kk8 (04-13-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry if this is a repeat question:

I have firmware 3.1.3 and I am looking to upgrade to 4.2.1. I don't need an unlock. What steps should I take? The steps in the first post don't seem to apply to me. My 3gs is already jailbroken
    Last edited by akwhite8; 04-12-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akwhite8 View Post
    Sorry if this is a repeat question:

I have firmware 3.1.3 and I am looking to upgrade to 4.2.1. I don't need an unlock. What steps should I take? The steps in the first post don't seem to apply to me.
    What device do you have?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry, I realized that after my post. 3gs and it's already jailbroken

Thanks

If you dont require unlock just go to 4.3.1 and use redsnow 0.9.6rc12 on it to jailbreak.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    From what I've read, 4.3.1 isn't the most stable and has a few issues. Is that not true? And is there additional steps I have to take if i'm already jailbroken?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akwhite8 View Post
    From what I've read, 4.3.1 isn't the most stable and has a few issues. Is that not true? And is there additional steps I have to take if i'm already jailbroken?
    Every IOS version has issues.
    I've had no stability issues on my ipad or iphone 4. I've loaded 4.3.1 and jailbroke on a half dozen devices used daily by people (iphones and ipads) without any complaints thus far.
    Nothing to do other than update the IOS (through itunes), and then run redsn0w to jailbreak.

Thanks

Im on 4.3.1 also and have no issues. If you want to go to 4.2.1 you will need SHSH.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, so can someone give me the order of steps or correct me where i might be wrong:
    TinyUmbrella saved blob> itunes restore to 4.3.2 FW> use TU to kick out of recovery> Redsn0w to Jailbreak> unlock with ultrasn0w

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyW View Post
    Ok, so can someone give me the order of steps or correct me where i might be wrong:
    TinyUmbrella saved blob> itunes restore to 4.3.2 FW> use TU to kick out of recovery> Redsn0w to Jailbreak> unlock with ultrasn0w
    By which method is your phone unlocked? Unlockable baseband, or carrier unlocked, or other?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unlockable baseband 1.59.00.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Personally, I'd do it in this order

-Run TinyUmbrella to save SHSH
    -Download 4.3.2 ipsw
    -use pwnage tool on the ipsw to create a custom ipsw that will include the jailbreak and not update your baseband.
    -put iphone into DFU mode
    -restore with iTunes using the custom IPSW.
    -Once restore is complete, open cydia, and then install ultrasn0w to unlock