+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Greenpoison VS Limerain?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
So, originally I had thought I had version 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4, but I was wrong. It was preloaded with 4.0.2 and I recently updated to 4.1. I saw
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Greenpoison VS Limerain?
    So, originally I had thought I had version 4.0.1 on my iPhone 4, but I was wrong. It was preloaded with 4.0.2 and I recently updated to 4.1. I saw that they released 2 different jailbreaks for my particular version and I was just wondering if any of you tried them and which one would be less buggy to try out.

I still haven't tried jailbreaking yet, since I'm afraid of bricking the damn thing, but I eventually want to try and I was just trying to get an idea of which one has less bugs and functions correctly.

I'm on the AT&T carrier, so I don't need to unlock it or anything. Like I said, I haven't jail broken it before so it would be a "fresh" install.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Haley.

AKA westonben
    Thanks

I haven't used GP, but can say no problems with limerain for me.

Thanks

I have used both and so far for me anyway greenpois0n is much more error free, with limera1n I got the low on memory error, quite a few springboard crashes (safemode), and lost mms on 4.1, so far I have only had one springboard crashes with greenpoi0n, same firmware, same apps/themes used after both jailbreaks

iPhone? More like MyPhone bubba's 69's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had no problems with greenpois0n. Personally I'm not going to use Geohot's tools.
    If I helped you in any way please click the THANKS! button below.

Even if you just want to click it for fun, go ahead, have fun.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

I used limera1n and I haven't had a single problem. No lost data/mms/anything. Some people may have had issues with it because they used an early beta version. The current version on limera1n.com is perfect. Although having said that, greenpois0n has been worked on more and is probably very stable too. It's just down to personal choice if your in the jailbreaking scene, but since you are new to it, I guess it doesn't matter which one you use. They both install Cydia, both give the same end result, one doesn't have any benefits over the other. Whichever one you go for, just reboot the phone after if you don't see a limera1n/greenpois0n icon. Hope this helps and good luck you won't regret jailbreaking!

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments! I think I will be going with limera1n for now. Again thanks for the comments. If I come across any problems I'll post them here to compare with others.

Haley

What's Jailbreak? AndreaCristiano's Avatar
    Thanks

I used Limera1n and my phone runs smooth fast and no hiccups at all also the jailbreaking itself was simple

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Limera1n here!! Geohot knocked it out quick but he is a pro!! My phone has never had an issue one even with beta jb.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Limera1n beta 3 or 4. No issues so far.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i have the same question as HollowQueenMask. i'm planning to jailbreak my wife's iphone 4 4.1 factory unlocked. any new development as to which has lesser issues? as of now i'm more inclined into using greenpoison. i need some advice please. thanks.
    Last edited by goliath6900; 11-02-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goliath6900 View Post
    i have the same question as HollowQueenMask. i'm planning to jailbreak my wife's iphone 4 4.1 factory unlocked. any new development as to which has lesser issues? as of now i'm more inclined into using greenpoison. i need some advice please. thanks.
    If you absolutely want the most well tested tool, use redsn0w (Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w+limera1n fun). The iPhone Dev Team usually produces the more stable tools. That being said, either of the available tools work just fine and none of them will mess up your phone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

goliath6900 (11-02-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

@dhamien
    thanks for the reply. can you point me to a tutorial link using redsnow for jailbreaking? i checked the tutorial guide section and there is only limerain and greenpoison tutorial and the rest is for 3gs and below.

Thanks

a little off topic but i see you got your mac dhamien
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn only to be washed away. For the time that I've been given, I am what I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

goliath6900 (11-02-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@dhamien
    thanks for the reply. can you point me to a tutorial link using redsnow for jailbreaking? i checked the tutorial guide section and there is only limerain and greenpoison tutorial and the rest is for 3gs and below.
    Looked but can't find a guide specifically for the i4 but it works just as it always does. It easy, so I'll just write it up.

Always backup your phone before jailbreaking.

1. Download the official i4 4.1 firmware from here iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download and put it on the Desktop
    2. Connect your phone to your computer.
    3. Run redsn0w (downloaded from here Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w+limera1n fun)
    4. In redsn0w, click the button that says 'browse' and locate the downloaded firmware on the Desktop.
    5. When redsn0w has successfully identified the file, click 'next'.
    6. Check the option that says 'Install Cydia' and leave the other options unchecked.
    7. From this point on, you just follow the written instructions in redsn0w. It'll first ask you to have the phone connected and turned off. Afterwards, it'll guide you through the process (it's basically just telling you how to put the phone in DFU mode). If you'd like, you can do a dry run first without having the phone connected and without pushing any buttons, so you can see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r3 View Post
    a little off topic but i see you got your mac dhamien
    I did I'm so happy about it too and you got mod status! Good stuff
    Last edited by dhamien; 11-02-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

goliath6900 (11-02-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow!! thank you very much for taking time for the tutorial and the links.
    seems like i'm getting off topic. i'll just start a thread. i have a few more questions.
    Last edited by goliath6900; 11-02-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks

If you have a mac around, I recommend PwnageTool. It takes a little longer to jailbreak, but the app has been around for a long time.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dash-2 For This Useful Post:

goliath6900 (11-02-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

@dash-2

just read the tutorial after your advice. your right, its a bit longer. but if its the most stable, i'll probably use PwnageTool then. just need to read it over to make sure. i don't quite get this-

"The General settings allows you to decide the partition size. Check Activate the phone if you are not with an official carrier then click the blue arrow button. i didnt quite get this

The General settings allows you to decide the partition size. Check Activate the phone if you are not with an official carrier then click the blue arrow button.

NOTE*: Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier."

the phone is already factory unlock on 4.1FW. what should i choose?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tired yesterday with Green poison but without success with Limera1n I've got success
    With Greenpoison I've got only one error Jailbreak failed
    Thx

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@dash-2

just read the tutorial after your advice. your right, its a bit longer. but if its the most stable, i'll probably use PwnageTool then. just need to read it over to make sure. i don't quite get this-

"The General settings allows you to decide the partition size. Check Activate the phone if you are not with an official carrier then click the blue arrow button. i didnt quite get this

The General settings allows you to decide the partition size. Check Activate the phone if you are not with an official carrier then click the blue arrow button.

NOTE*: Deselect Activate if you have an iPhone legitimately activated on an official carrier."

the phone is already factory unlock on 4.1FW. what should i choose?
    If it's factory unlocked, you uncheck 'activate', so the phone just activates normally through iTunes.

About the tool being more stable, I believe they're equal. Both are by the iPhone Dev Team who test all their tools thoroughly before release. Just for info, I used pwnagetool myself and haven't had any trouble, but I mainly chose PT because it was the only thing out at the time (besides GP and LR) and the fact that I like having a made custom firmware ready in case my phone messes up somehow.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

goliath6900 (11-02-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

ah i see. thank for the advice and infos.

just found out that there is already Pwnagetool 4.1.2. should i use this instead of the Pwnagetool 4.1?
    Last edited by goliath6900; 11-02-2010 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost