+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to upgrade 3gs the safe (smart) way

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, I just got a 32gb 3gs with 3.1.1 software and old bootrom, I used Jailbreakme, which worked fine. I had a 3g before this, which I'm am finding out
    Thanks

Default Trying to upgrade 3gs the safe (smart) way
    Hi, I just got a 32gb 3gs with 3.1.1 software and old bootrom, I used Jailbreakme, which worked fine. I had a 3g before this, which I'm am finding out they are different beasts. I used tiny umbrella to save the shsh blobs, but could only save the for 4.1 (I think that is normal for 3gs's right?). Any way, I synced from a backup of my old phone, but the contact list didn't show, I "erased and cleared everything" in the iphone menu so I could restore it fresh, when it rebooted, the apple came up normal, then the thinking spinner came up over the apple (frozen, not spinning) and the screen had horizontal line 1/3 down from the top like it had been dropped. It won't boot, it will go into recovery and DFU. Probably not a big deal, I bricked a ipod the other day and updated it to 4.1 through apple to fix it, but don't want to do anything irreversible to this 3gs.
    Sorry if that was too much backstory, but I need some current info on how to upgrade to the highest firmware possible that's not locked. I assume that I have the option to update to 4.1 via apple. I tried the newest sn0wbreeze to make a custom 4.0.1 but got error 1600 in DFU and 1604 in recovery. I just got into this last week, done a lot of reading before posting, but it seems so many posts become obsolete here because of all the constant changes on both sides. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Use kick out of recovery from the feature of tiny umbrella to see if you can get back to your previous version.
    You have only 4.1 shsh blogs is because the jailbreak was recently done at the time when Apple is signing 4.1 which also means that you cannot restore to anything below IOS 4.1.
    Let me know your result if you can get back to your previous 3.1.1 before I proceed.

Thanks

Hi, tried that, it's stuck on the apple screen with the frozen swirl with the horizontal line across the top fifth of the screen. I never let it sit more than 10 mins, I will now. I'll be away for a few hours so I won't be able to reply instantly.

Thanks

So you are not in recovery mode, your iphone is frozen at apple logo. Trigger it into recovery mode if you know how to do it. Do you really need an unlock, I don't think you have any choice at this momemt since you only have 4.1 shsh blogs.

Thanks

Couple of hours later, screen still froze as stated before. No, I don't really need a unlock, just wanted the option before going too far. I'll wait a few hours to see if any ideas come in, if not, I'll do what apple wants, then I'll jailbreak the hell out of it. Seems like such a shame with the software so old, o well.

Thanks

To trigger into recovery mode : Turn off your iphone, while holding the Home button, plug your iphone in until Itunes Cable logo appears.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Flathed (10-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The horizontal line that looks like it's pixelated is normal. That's what happens when it's jailbroken. As far as getting it out of recovery if Tiny Umbrella won't do it then something was messed up eighths restore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    To trigger into recovery mode : Turn off your iphone, while holding the Home button, plug your iphone in until Itunes Cable logo appears.
    Hey Yeow, I've had it in recovery mode (usb cable pointing at the itunes) and DFU mode (blank screen but itunes recognizes) before. You asked me to kick it out of recovery with umbrella, thats when it went back to the frozen apple screen. I can get it to all 3 stages.

Quote Originally Posted by BCollins521 View Post
    The horizontal line that looks like it's pixelated is normal. That's what happens when it's jailbroken. As far as getting it out of recovery if Tiny Umbrella won't do it then something was messed up eighths restore
    I guess I wasn't clear, I can get in and out of the frozen apple mode at will, along with recovery and DFU, just nothing else. What is "eighths restore"?
    Last edited by Flathed; 10-13-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sorry suppose to be "with the restore" good ol iPhone keyboard lol

I had that problem with a 3Gs that I bought and tried to load a custom firmware on it thinking it was a old bootrom and it wasn't. I've never had any luck with custom roms. Luckily I was able to roll back to 4.0.1 with the trick of editing the file on my pc so it would look to cydia. It wasn't suppose to work without shsh backed up but I'm still convinced that it wasn't backed up and did it anyway. There was a big discussion about it awhile ago
    Last edited by BCollins521; 10-13-2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yes, when you are in recovery, you are supposed to restore, not to kick it out again.

if you kick it out again, you are back to square one again...LOL
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-13-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Flathed (10-13-2010)

Thanks

There really should be a big warning post in the stickies "DO NOT ERASE ALL SETTINGS" because once you do you're basically screwed if you don't have SHSH blobs.

It's not possible to get it back to 3.1 I'm almost certain. Once you erase and restore you have erased the operating system from the phone. You have no choice but to upgrade to 4.1 or whichever iOS you have SHSH for (in your case only 4.1).

At least you can be thankful you don't need an unlock. If you are going to have this iPhone as your personal phone for at least the next month or two, it's really a non-issue since the 5.14.02 baseband will be unlocked by then

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

Flathed (10-13-2010)

Thanks

Thanks guys, gonna 4.1 myself. Ya, it's really not a big deal.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I would run with 4.1 and then use limerain to jailbreak. There is news that a new unlock is not far away so you will most likely be able to unlock again should you want to sell it that way for more money.