Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM #1Please Help: 2 Questions about iphone 3GS
For anybody that can help:
I recently obtained an iPhone 3GS which was running 4.0 with the old baseband 5.13.....
I jailbroke with jailbreakme.com and unlocked with ultrasnow.
My first question is: Upon opening Cydia, I didn't see the "make my life easier" option, in order to save SHSH blobs. Why is that? Is that something I need to do with 4.0?
Second Question: Should I bother upgrading to 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 and doing the jailbraeak/unlock? In other words, is it worth it? I'd really like to upgrade to 4.1 and still be able to unlock, but it's my understanding this can't be done on the 3GS without upgrading the baseband?
Any help is appreciated.
10-13-2010, 12:11 PM #2
1) probably cuz it was already done. Check Cydia for green letters that tell you which are saved. If there is none showing, chances are, there is SHSHs saved but only for 4.1 which won't show up yet.
2) if you're happy on 4.0, there's not point in upgrading. You can't anyway without SHSHs. You can only go to 4.1 if you have the old bootrom and use jbme2pwn and Sn0wbreeze (custom firmware route) if you need an unlock.
So basically if you don't have the old boot you can't upgrade without upgrading your baseband anyway.
10-13-2010, 12:31 PM #3
thanks, you actually helped me out last week on a 3G i was jailbreaking an unlocking for a friend.
ok, on this 3GS...it DOES have the old boot.
In cydia, i have "green" for 3.1.3 and 4.0.1 (and it's currently on 4.0)
So, you are saying that, bc I do have the old boot, i CAN upgrade to 4.1 and do an unlock AND a jailbreak?
is there a guid to this process?
4.0 is ok, i was just wondering what changes were with 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. Obviously, 4.1 has gamecenter, etc.
10-13-2010, 12:59 PM #4
Yes you can go up to 4.1 with custom firmware then.
There's really no point in going up to 4.1 unless you really want GameCenter. If you feel the need go to 4.1 then you can do so with Sn0wbreeze. The only stipulation for your phone is that since you jb with jailbreakme, you'll need to go to Cydia and install jbme2pwn before trying to restore to a custom firmware. I can write you up a guide if you wanna continue to 4.1 and you don't understand what exactly to do with just this info I'm giving you.
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM #5
yea, thanks, if you can write up one for me, i'd really appreciate it.
I would like to upgrade to the 4.1. (But, the gamecenter is really the only difference from 4.0?)
10-13-2010, 01:34 PM #6
The only diff is really GameCenter for a 3GS.
I'll write you up a guide in a couple hours when work slows down. Be back later.
10-13-2010, 01:52 PM #7
Install Jbme2pwn from Cydia you can google search for the repo to be added.
Reboot your iphone.
Put iphone into recovery mode.
Restore to custom firmware of 4.1 created by Snowbreeze 2.0.2, make sure you uncheck the activate my iphone under Expert mode > General. You will need the official sim to activate when you have restored.
Unlock with Ultrasn0w again.
10-13-2010, 02:13 PM #8
thanks yeow, and thank anniex....i'll also wait for your guide, just to make sure i'm good to go.
10-13-2010, 02:34 PM #9
1) Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 (from iH8sn0w.com)
2) stock 4.1 ipsw (find it at felixbruns.de)
1) go to Cydia and install jbme2pwn
2) open Sn0wbreeze
3) build a custom fw with your stock 4.1 ipsw
4) if you have an official carrier's SIM, go in expert mode in Sn0wbreeze and deselect "activate". If you don't have the SIM, select "activate". It's better to have the SIM and not hacktivate cuz I heard it causes problems for some people, but if you can't get a hold of one you should just choose activate.
5) after building the 4.1 custom firmware, open iTunes
6) set your phone into DFU mode
7) hold shift and click restore and select your custom firmware you built
8) let iTunes do its thing
9) if you have a SIM and deselected "activate", you must now put your official carrier's SIM in and open iTunes to activate the phone. Then you will have access to your springboard.
10) if you selected activate in Sn0wbreeze, you should be able to access your springboard after the restore.
11) if you experience YouTube or push problems (likely due to the hacktivation) you can go to Cydia and add the repo "cydia.pushfix.info" and install either the pushfix and/or the YouTube fixes (there are 3).
12) to unlock, use ultrasn0w in Cydia, of course
10-13-2010, 08:59 PM #10
great, thank you anniex.
10-13-2010, 10:02 PM #11