+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Two bricked iPhones in two days

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
My wife and I were both using iPhone 3gs models (me a 32, her a 16) running iOS 4.0.2 jailbroken through the jailbreakme site. My wife's was going unused as
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Two bricked iPhones in two days
    My wife and I were both using iPhone 3gs models (me a 32, her a 16) running iOS 4.0.2 jailbroken through the jailbreakme site. My wife's was going unused as she had tired of it and was using an Android phone. Mine has been well used since I got it.

Last night, I was in the middle of the phone call with my 32GB when the call dropped. Looking at the phone, the screen was black. Trying to turn it on failed to work. Trying to restore it via a fully-updated iTunes rendered an error 28. After hours of searching and being told it was a hardware error, I gave up and grabbed her unused 16GB iPhone out of the drawer, threw my SIM card in and began using it. This afternoon, I reset it to clear the settings so I could fully use it the way I like to without running into remnants of another user. The phone shut down, went to the apple logo, the color static and spinning wheel showed up and it stopped. It's now refusing to boot, and connecting it to iTunes starts a restore cycle that ends in error 28.

The only thing I can think of that would have affected both phones were essential updates from Cydia that I'd downloaded to both.

At this point, I don't even care about jailbreaking them and getting them back to where I can use them. I just want them functional/sellable. What can I do to get these things back to functional? Alternatively, did something go out that bricked both of these things?

Thanks

Take them back to apple and get them replaced
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I've read in another post that iPhones are 99.99% unbrickable

I would connect it to iTunes and click update, update it to 4.1 and restore from backup and select the old 4.0.2 backup

realize it will still be on 4.1 with the new bootrom, if it's successful great the problem didn't backup to iTunes, if it's back to where you were then restore it to 4.1 but not from backup

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Take them back to apple and get them replaced
    If your still under warranty yes, if not read what I said above^^

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Let the battery fully drained out by leaving it sitting for atleast a couple of days. If it is not the hardware problem, it will reset itself into a restore. If there is no warranty on it, you can open it up and remove the battery and placed it back, you will be able to restore aggain.
    This is a quicker way of getting it to restore.

You cannot really do a master reset on a jailbreakme jailbreak iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Were you trying to restore to back up? If so that maybe your problem because the firmware that you are on isn't being signed by apple. Do you have your shsh's on file with Cydia? If so you can change your host files to redirect Itunes to saurik's server and restore to an old version.

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Also try iTunes on a different computer.. You may have downloaded a bad ipsw or a million other errors

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses. Here's where I'm at so far.

They were purchased from friends who were upgrading to 4.0, and I had unlocked/jailbroken them to run on T-Mobile. So, warranty/returns to Apple is not a helpful thing at this point.

The 16GB would never come out of that boot loop, and the one return of an error 28 must have been a fluke. After rebooting my Macbook, I got iTunes to play nice with it. It's now in sellable condition.

The 32GB is still a mystery. I noticed that when the 16GB was being restored, it flashed a black screen twice then brought up the Apple logo. The 32GB, when undergoing the same procedure, flashes a white screen, then a dull white, then I get the error 28. Gonna try the other remedies posted here before I just let it die and sit for a bit and see how it recovers that way.

And for products being unbrickable, yesterday I had the reverse of a Midas touch. The phone died, my Dell crashed and Windows 7 and Vista would neither one install (hence me using my work Macbook). I can break a brass ball with a rubber mallet.

Today's looking better, though.

Thanks

The iphone that flashes white and then black and ended with error 28 can be fixed by completely draining out the battery.