+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there an untethered jailbreak for ios4 on 3gs now?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey quick question I haven't checked in months, but is there a untethered jailbreak out for ios4 on the 3gs (new bootrom i think) I currently have a tethered jailbreak
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Default Is there an untethered jailbreak for ios4 on 3gs now?
    Hey quick question

I haven't checked in months, but is there a untethered jailbreak out for ios4 on the 3gs (new bootrom i think)

I currently have a tethered jailbreak (3.12) using blackra1n. I did it back last December and haven't updated since.

Type: iPhone 3GS 3.12
    Model: MC137LL
    Serial: My serial is xx946xxxxxx
    Jailbreak: blackra1n done back in December

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Yes, jailbreakme 2.0 is untethered jailbreak at 3.1.3, 4.0 and 4.0.1.
    You can restore to 4.0.1 with Shsh blogs saved.
    All you have to do is to point your hosts file towards Cydia
    Do the Shift + Restore to 4.0.1 ipsw
    Do the jailbreakme 2.0 from Safari on your iphone.

Thanks
    okay cool. and just confirming, this should make it untethered on my 3gs (with new bootrom), right?

Side question: I heard that jailbreakme disables the ability to use custom firmwares permanently. is this true?

Thanks

Yes, it is untethered. Yes ,jailrbeakme is not compatible with custom firmeare and if you have the new bootrom, you won't be able to use custom firmware anyway.

Two ways of restoring :
    One is point hosts file towareds Cydia
    Two is to run TSS Server from Tiny umbrella but you have to store your 4.0.1 shsh blogs in Tiny Umbrella first and highlight the 4.0.1 shsh blogs under Decive/Version only then you click Start Tss Server.
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-02-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    okay thanks yeow, you've helped me out a lot! Like really, thanks! All my questions are answered now

Yeah, I was about to use Snowbreeze's newest version from their site (bc its the newest tool ive heard is out) to try and see if i could untether it on 4.0. Thought it was a cool plus to make my own custom firmware. Just thought I would ask before I went ahead and did it.

ps: one small random side question. do you know if its possible to make my own boot logo with my current iPhone? may be around your area of expertise :P

Thanks

Yes, i made mine, has to be 320 by 480 in png format and must not be larger than 100 kilbytes and must have some white part. Use Photoshop to do the boot / recovery image. I have my phone number on my boot image in case if it get lost, then I might get it back...

Thanks
    lol thats awesome.

i take it i cant use a custom boot logo if i want to go untethered and use jailbreakme.com, right? I have to use a program to jailbreak?

Thanks

Yes, that is correct. Only iphones that can use custom firmware can do that...LOL

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    Yes, it is untethered. Yes ,jailrbeakme is not compatible with custom firmeare and if you have the new bootrom, you won't be able to use custom firmware anyway.
    Hey yeow, just wanted to let you know that if you have a 3GS old bootrom on 4.0/4.0.1 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com you can use custom firmwares if you first apply jbme2pwn. It works similarly to spirit2pwn and is found on the same repo as that.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Thanks , dhamien , I will check that out.

Thanks
    -okay quick question. you mentioned earlier that i have to point my hosts file to cydia when upgrading from 3.1.2 to 4.01 before going to jailbreakme.

what's the reasoning for this? im just curious to find out how it works.
    Last edited by crewxp; 10-03-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Apple has stopped signing 4.0.1, the only way to restore to a firmware that is not currently signed by apple , you will need 4.0.1 shsh file saved with Cydia. If you have it saved, pointing towards Cydia while restoring will also Cydia to authenticate the 4.0.1 to go through only if you have 4.0.1 shsh blogs saved, without it, you can't

Thanks
    ah ok cool. so anotherwards i'll have to modify my hosts file whenever im restoring to anything BUT the latest firmware, got it. thanks!

Just a quick question. jailbreak me updates my baseband too, right? so if in the future I want to sell my iPhone 3gs as unlocked for when the iPhone 5 comes out, it probably wont be unlockable right? (Or do you think in a years time theyll have an unlock for it, assuming the trend continues)
    Last edited by crewxp; 10-03-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: 3

Thanks

Jailbreame doesn't update baseband, in order to use jailbreakme , you need to have a restore to stock firmware like 4.0.1 ipsw from Apple and therefore updates the baseband too, but this bb can be unlocked with ultrasn0w.
    So in other words , you have to know which bb firmware can be unlocked before restoring to that firmware.

Thanks
    cool! Okay, hopefully 4.0.1 is unlockable then! I was thinking of updating to 4.1, but I think 4.1 isn't unlocked on the 3gs, nor is it untethered.

Seems like im out of questions now! haha, you've been a big help.