+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Did I brick it?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi everyone...first time post here. I currently have an iphone 3g with the 3.1.2 firmware on it, jailbroke, and unlocked for t-mobile. I thought I would be really techy and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wink Did I brick it?
    Hi everyone...first time post here.

I currently have an iphone 3g with the 3.1.2 firmware on it, jailbroke, and unlocked for t-mobile.

I thought I would be really techy and upgrade the os to version 4.0 after seeing so many links of videos that showed how to do it...lol big mistake there.

I downloaded the os4 software , not the os4.1, and downloaded redsn0w 0.95b or whatever, and went into dfu mode using itunes 9.2

I hit restore and loaded the os4 file, and rebooted the phone, then used redsn0w and browsed to the same file and it did its thing, and showed the pineapple guy etc etc, but upon boot up, the phone was in "emergency calls only" mode, and would do nothing else.

After I put my tmobile sim card in the phone showed unsupported sim...

Please help a geek out?!?!? what can I do?, I would really like to be able to fix this on my own, but I just dont know where to go now....thank you so much for all your help in advance, and for taking the time to read my "begger's post"...Dirtylarry.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

Try using sn0wbreeze instead and installing a custom already jailbroken 4.1 firmware. This should activate and keep the baseband so you can still unlock. You can use iReb from that same site to prepare the phone to install the custom firmware without getting any errors.
    iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

I may be wrong here, but from the sounds of it you just need to unlock it again? Just get ultrasn0w from Cydia and your t-mobile sim should work. I think 4.0 can be unlocked, it's just the baseband that comes with 4.1 which is unlockable ATM (when updating with iTunes).

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

From what i read, he download the firmware and redsn0w in preparation to jailbreak after the restore. He hit just the restore buttton which could have taken him all the way to 4.1, if that is the case, his unlock is gone.

Thanks

Ya, just reread it, it does sound like he restored to 4.1 without realizing to press shift when clicking restore. I hope that was not the case though.

Thanks

EDIT: Silly me, it sounds like you did restore correctly to iOS 4.0.

IF you did restore to 4.0.x: OP, you probably need to re-activate the phone. You'll need to get an AT&T (if in the US), or whatever your phone's supported carrier is, SIM card to activate the phone. It does not matter if the SIM card is active or dead.

You can also use a "phonebook SIM" that's not tied to any carrier to get the phone past the activation needed/emergency calls only screen and then add the repo "http://cydia.pushfix.info" in Cydia, using the "Hacktivation patch" package before unlocking with ultrasn0w.

We can always take you down the Pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze road instead if you'd prefer.

EDIT2: I spoke too soon everybody; I'm sorry. I misread the original post, you were in fact spot-on.
    Last edited by Orby; 10-02-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks

What is not accurate about our advice? Everything we have said is correct, we just do not know the OP's exact situation without further clarification. Some of what you said is not accurate though as on a 3G a activation/AT&T sim is not a prerequisite as redsn0w/pwnage tool/sn0wbreeze can all hacktivate, no sim required. Until he writes back as to how he restored and what version of redsn0w he used we will not know for sure what is the right course of action for him.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default thanks guys
    Ok....you guys rock...I downloaded 3.1.2 and installed with redsnow 9.4? and got back up and running, but I think somewhere along the lines of this confusing process i inadvertantly updated to 4.1, and of course lost my unlocked baseband...mine now shows 5.14.02 and the loader is in the 6 series (fuzzyloader) would not lower it...so now I have a nice ipod...IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO????? i no longer have tmobile due to this....I do however have 2 tmobile sim cards that have never been put in the phone....not sure if they will help or not????....thanks a million guys/gals....Dirtylarry

Thanks

Yup, I was right, you hit the restore button and you have lost your unlock. Wait for a couple of months before you can unlock.

Thanks

Hate to say it but with that baseband you are screwed for now, there is nothing you can do but wait and hope for a new unlock to come out at some point.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default sim
    my brother told me that if I can find someone with an att sim card that would work????hmmm ideas??

Thanks

Atnt would definitely work if the iphone official carrier is ATNT, you just have to subscribe to this provider, you are lucky to be living in the states.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    so in other words i would have to switch from tmobile to at&t?

Thanks

Yes or Sell it and get another one for T-mobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    so if i found someone with at&t i could just borrow there sim card to unlock the phone?, and then put tmobile back in or no?

Thanks

No, he is saying you can switch carriers to AT&T, you cannot unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No, you just have a flashy iPod until you sign yourself up for AT&T, or until someone figures out how to unlock the new baseband.

Thanks

You can use Heywire to do texting internationally for free.
    Don't be too upset, it is not the end of the world..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    What is not accurate about our advice? Everything we have said is correct, we just do not know the OP's exact situation without further clarification. Some of what you said is not accurate though as on a 3G a activation/AT&T sim is not a prerequisite as redsn0w/pwnage tool/sn0wbreeze can all hacktivate, no sim required. Until he writes back as to how he restored and what version of redsn0w he used we will not know for sure what is the right course of action for him.
    I spoke too soon and too rashly; hence why I edited it quickly after I posted it. My bad, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki0s View Post
    No, you just have a flashy iPod until you sign yourself up for AT&T, or until someone figures out how to unlock the new baseband.
    Sad to say, this is it. Unless you have a very early (as in serial starts xx828 or lower) made 3G, you're stuck with AT&T for the time being, possibly forever. Sorry man. Though you can still jailbreak.

Thanks

It's cool