Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any way to restore to 4.0.1 ???

Unhappy Any way to restore to 4.0.1 ???
    OK, I didn't know better and did the "erase all content and settings" option on a newly jailbroken (via jailbreakme.com) 3GS on 3.1.2.

I know, BIG MISTAKE right?

Now the phone is stuck on the Apple logo and freezing in a never ending loop of suck.

OK, from what I can tell from reading around, I need to restore through iTunes, but not above 4.0.1 if I want any chance of a jailbreak this side of who-knows-when. The problem is, iTunes won't let me since it's an older ISPW. (I know you know this, but I didn't.)

So, crap...

Is there any way to get to 4.0.1? An alternative to iTunes for restore? Using another jailbreak tool to create a custom ISPW that doesn't need Apple's blessing??... Anything???

I had JUST jailbroken less than 10 minutes before the erase so there's no SHSH files, that's for sure.

I sure hope I'm not SOL on this one... just bought the stupid thing and would suck to stay using my slooowwww 2G for another 3-6-9-12 months.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

without SHSH files there is no way of downgrading to any FW.
    Sorry.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seann33uk For This Useful Post:

maveric (09-30-2010)

Do you need an unlock for the phone? If you only need a jailbreak the next one will be out pretty soon according to pod2g's twitter it's "days" away.

To custom firmware jailbreak your phone needs to be "pwned" aka redsn0w/snowbreeze/pwnagetool. Since you used jailbreakme it's unlikely you can do much about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

maveric (09-30-2010)

Yes, I do need to unlock as I'm on T-mobile.

Are you saying that since I used jailbreakme.com I can NOT go back and "pwn," even after a restore?

I wonder if I should just restore to 4.1 through iTunes in hopes that a jailbreak/unlock will come around for it (I have to do this before the bastards make me have to restore to 4.2)... OR should I wait it out and see what happens?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

--statement retracted, note baseband preservation to 4.1 via TinyUmbrella is supposed to be iP4 only--
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-01-2010 at 12:37 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

maveric (10-01-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maveric View Post
    Yes, I do need to unlock as I'm on T-mobile.

Are you saying that since I used jailbreakme.com I can NOT go back and "pwn," even after a restore?

I wonder if I should just restore to 4.1 through iTunes in hopes that a jailbreak/unlock will come around for it (I have to do this before the bastards make me have to restore to 4.2)... OR should I wait it out and see what happens?

Thanks
    You are missing something here, do you know that you can save your 4.1 shsh blogs eventhough you are not jailbroken. You can use tiny umbrella to push your 4.1 shsh blogs towards Cydia, then you are safe : When Apple stops signing 4.1 , you can still restore to 4.1 with the saved shsh file on Cydia.
    Don't update your iphone to 4.1 yet, the baseband cannot be unlocked and there is no development or haven't heard of anything about the 4.1 unlock. It may be a long time before the unlock comes out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

maveric (10-01-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeow, I don't think Maveric has a choice in the matter at all if he may at least want a working iPod. Anniex423's suggestion is solid, and you can upgrade to 4.1 while running TinyUmbrella's TSS server to prevent iTunes from upgrading the baseband. That way as soon as the next jailbreak comes out in a matter of days, you can unlock with UltraSn0w 1.1.1 and you won't have to wait until God knows when the next version will come out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kumputer For This Useful Post:

maveric (10-01-2010)

Thanks

You don't have to be on 4.1 to save, all you need is to plug your ipod in, run tiny umbrella, select the 4.1 shsh and click save shsh. You are done with Cydia. I am not asking him to update to 4.1

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You can shift+restore to a stock 4.1 ipsw with TinyUmbrella's TSS server running while doing so. This way you'll preserve your baseband to keep the unlock intact. That way you can at least use the phone as an iPod Touch for now as we wait a few more days for the new jb

You will need an official carrier's SIM to activate the phone though to get past the emergency call screen.
    AnnieX, correct me if I am wrong, Tiny umbrella will only preserve the baseband update for Iphone 4 and not 3GS
    and Maveri has a 3GS

OK, I didn't know better and did the "erase all content and settings" option on a newly jailbroken (via jailbreakme.com) 3GS on 3.1.2.

I know, BIG MISTAKE right?

Now the phone is stuck on the Apple logo and freezing in a never ending loop of suck.

OK, from what I can tell from reading around, I need to restore through iTunes, but not above 4.0.1 if I want any chance of a jailbreak this side of who-knows-when. The problem is, iTunes won't let me since it's an older ISPW. (I know you know this, but I didn't.)

So, crap...

Is there any way to get to 4.0.1? An alternative to iTunes for restore? Using another jailbreak tool to create a custom ISPW that doesn't need Apple's blessing??... Anything???

I had JUST jailbroken less than 10 minutes before the erase so there's no SHSH files, that's for sure.

I sure hope I'm not SOL on this one... just bought the stupid thing and would suck to stay using my slooowwww 2G for another 3-6-9-12 months.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-01-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

maveric (10-01-2010)

Thanks

Hm, I've seen a little bit ago that someone not with an iP4 did this. But it mightve been a fluke :/

Perhaps it is indeed only for the iP4.

Thanks

Yeah, otherwise, all 3gs can preserve their baseband by using tiny Umbrella.

Thanks

Ok OP, this is pretty much gonna suck cuz you will lose your unlock.

@Yeow, OP jb with jailbreakme. Won't this hinder him from being able to restore to a custom fw even if he has an old boot phone?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

maveric (10-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Ok OP, this is pretty much gonna suck cuz you will lose your unlock.

@Yeow, OP jb with jailbreakme. Won't this hinder him from being able to restore to a custom fw even if he has an old boot phone?
    Oops, I missed the jailbreakme jailbreak, i was having the impression he used Blackra1n. I guess i will have to edit too..

Thanks for all the help guys! It's REALLY nice to not be alone in this mess. I've seriously been kinda depressed over the whole thing the last couple days. I know, some people don't have food on their tables and I'm worried about a stupid phone, right?

OK, now with all the discussion and edits I'm confused though on what I should do.

In other words, how can I have the best chance to be able to use the next jailbreak coming out in a few days to get my 3GS to unlocked status?

(Recap on current 3GS status: now locked in loop with Apple logo, jailbroken with jailbreakme.com on 3.1.2)

THANKS AGAIN!!
    Eric

*** New Post ***

OK, I went ahead and figured out how to use TinyUmbrella to get my 4.1 SHSH's while in recovery mode. (Had to go into advanced mode and get my ECID by following these instructions.)

Now what's the next step? Should I upgrade to 4.1 with the TU TSS server running?

Will I EVER be able to unlock, or did the jailbreakme jb somehow mess that up?

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by maveric; 10-02-2010 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok well here is the deal.

If you only have SHSH blobs for 4.1 saved that is the only iOS you can currently restore to. Because you are jailbroken using Jailbreakme it's not possible to do a custom firmware restore without first installing other software. Since your phone is stuck in recovery loop I don't think it's possible to install anything.

Has this been your phone since new? If you bought it second hand there's always the possibility someone else saved blobs for your phone (or if you bought it as an Apple refurb same could apply). You can use TinyUmbrella and try running through each 3GS firmware version and clicking "save my SHSH" and see if it gets any others apart from 4.1.

I have never used the "Erase all content and settings", does it actually fully erase the iOS from the phone then? I assumed it would just erase music/video/contacts blabla. There are tools to get out of a recovery loop but if you have no iOS those won't help you.

Currently the only thing that's going to work is if you happen to have an SHSH saved earlier than 4.1. Otherwise you'll just have to pray for a quick unlock

i had the same problem the only 2 differences are i had the 3gs new bootrom and it wasnt locked in any GSM metwork! i had the ios 4.0 8A293 in the beginning i 've Jailbreakme.com my iphone and i am not sure that i saved my SHSH but the certain thing is that i was unable to restore the ios so i had to upgrade it! hope that soon i can JB my idevice again! if are any other solutions pls tell me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vicx View Post
    i had the same problem the only 2 differences are i had the 3gs new bootrom and it wasnt locked in any GSM metwork! i had the ios 4.0 8A293 in the beginning i 've Jailbreakme.com my iphone and i am not sure that i saved my SHSH but the certain thing is that i was unable to restore the ios so i had to upgrade it! hope that soon i can JB my idevice again! if are any other solutions pls tell me
    Your only way to tell is to download tiny umbrella version 4.1.4.
    From there , you can check from Cydia, if you have 4.0.1 shsh blogs. This is your only way to downgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak it.

Four things in TU you need to do : Advance tab, Device/version, Request , Save shsh .

@yeow: Could you answer the below please. I really don't want to make the wrong move here.

Thanks,
    Eric

OK, I went ahead and figured out how to use TinyUmbrella to get my 4.1 SHSH's while in recovery mode. (Had to go into advanced mode and get my ECID by following these instructions.)

Now what's the next step? Should I upgrade to 4.1 with the TU TSS server running?

Will I EVER be able to unlock, or did the jailbreakme jb somehow mess that up?

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks

I deleted my post is because I was under the impression that you use Blackra1n at 3.1.2 but after reading it again, eventhough you have the old bootrom and you have used jailbreakme, you cannot use custom firmware.
    Anniex has retracted her statement of using tiny umbrella to restore to 4.1, this method of TU only works on Iphone 4, you have a 3gs, it will update your baseband, so don't do it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

maveric (10-04-2010)