+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3g tethering after iPhone 4 purchase

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Ok, first cool forum. Second, here is my dilemma. I purchased the iphone 4 about a month ago and accidentally upgraded to the 4.3 firmware. Previously I was using an
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3g tethering after iPhone 4 purchase
    Ok, first cool forum.
    Second, here is my dilemma. I purchased the iphone 4 about a month ago and accidentally upgraded to the 4.3 firmware. Previously I was using an iphone 3G on the 3.0 firmware and the tethering hack that was so popular a year or so ago even on unjailbroken phones. I made a sim card adapter for the 3g and tried my new sim card the day I bought the iphone 4 and it actually worked. Tested it a week later and the 3g phone no longer saw the sim card or any other sim card for that matter. I assumed it was because I brought the iphone 4 home unactivated and assumed that it had something to do with me activating the new phone and maybe took a few days for it somehow to unactivate my old phone? I don't know, probably something I did while using the older phone to save a back up to transfer my contacts etc.
    Anyway I have a 3g iphone that is jailbroke on the 3.0 firmware and know the sim adapter works but the 3g phone does not see a sim card. I want to be able to use this old phone for tethering as I was before. I tried a few different ways to get it to see the sim after reading on the net but with no luck. My iphone 3g is very slow and ####es me off sometimes but it served its purpose. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make my old iphone 3G allow me to use my newer sim card? As I have said, it worked right after I brought the new iphone 4 home and I tethered with it and made phone calls so I think it is possible.

Sorry for the long read and thanks a million for any help.
    If someone does not want to post it they can email me at [email protected]

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 7,004 Posts

If it is saying no sim all the time then one of the sim connectors in the iphone may have been damaged the last time you tried to take a sim in or out. This happened to me once. If you take the sim tray out you should be able to see 3 gold connectors in the iphone. i only saw two so knew that was my issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess that could be the issue. I can see 3 pins but one them does not seem the same. I guess I may open it later and see if that is it.
    What did you do to fix yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    If it is saying no sim all the time then one of the sim connectors in the iphone may have been damaged the last time you tried to take a sim in or out. This happened to me once. If you take the sim tray out you should be able to see 3 gold connectors in the iphone. i only saw two so knew that was my issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 7,004 Posts

Wasnt able to fix it. I cannibalized it and sold it off bit by bit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok thanks. I am going to give it a go. I have been an electronics hobbiest for years plus I have nothing to lose. I REALY need tethering.