Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
10-14-2010, 08:47 PM #141
Oh I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to beccajane.
10-14-2010, 09:15 PM #142
10-14-2010, 10:09 PM #143
So...I can't really tell you anything. Jailbreakme is supposed to work for 4.0.1 just fine. I just did an iPod 2G MB, 2 iPhone 3G, and an iPhone 3GS all on 4.0.1 with jailbreakme.
MC model iPT 2G MC can be treated like a new boot iPhone 3GS, and so that's what I can say, you'd need to use jailbreakme.
If you have your SHSHs, restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1 and try the jb again. If you don't have your SHSHs, then unfortunately you'll be forced up to 4.1 and Redsn0w is the jb tool for iPT 2G on 4.1. Limera1n and GP don't work for iPT 2G, so far I've heard.
All leads point to either jb 4.0.1 with Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 or jailbreakme, or jb 4.1 with the newest Redsn0w 0.9.6b1.
10-15-2010, 03:39 AM #144
But redSnow only works on mb models not mc
10-15-2010, 06:14 AM #145
10-15-2010, 01:31 PM #146
10-15-2010, 01:38 PM #147
I was able to successfully jailbreak my iPhone 3g on iOS 4.1 but I'm still waiting for an unlock for the new 05.14.02 baseband...is there ANYTHING that I can do besides wait and pray??? Please help...
10-15-2010, 01:40 PM #148
10-16-2010, 08:09 PM #149
10-16-2010, 08:20 PM #150
For 4.1, not 4.0.1. Regardless, unless you can use jailbreakme, Redsn0w is the only other option for MC models on 4.0.1.
10-17-2010, 02:42 PM #151Jailbreak iPod touch 3rd gen (32GB) to 4.1
Hi, I have an iPod touch 3rd gen (32GB) running OS 3.1.3. I have jailbroken this earlier with Spirit. I would like to update the OS to 4.1.
I am new to jailbreaking and have a few questions. Hope someone can help.
1) Do I need to worry about preserving the baseband when upgrading? Since this is an iPod and not an iPhone, does it even have a baseband?
2) What is the best (i.e easiest and safest) method to JB to 4.1 - Limerain or Greenpoison?
3) If I upgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak, will my apps lose their data? For eg, I have several scores of 1 million or more in Tilt 2 Live. Will restoring this app erase these scores? (just an example for app data)
4) Is there any reliable, detailed step by step guide to jailbreak this specific device (iPod touch 3rd gen running 3.1.3) anywhere? I have googled and there are guides - I'm just not sure which one is reliable or which will work with my device. If there is no such guide, will somebody be kind enough to explain how to update the OS to 4.1 and jailbreak this?
5) How do I backup (before JB) and restore (after JB) my apps (both from Apple app store and Cydia) so as to preserve all their data?
6) If something goes wrong, will it brick my iPod touch, and how do I restore to the previous version of the OS in that case?
7) What is the order in which to do this - First update the OS to 4.1 via itunes and then jailbreak or first jailbreak and then update to 4.1?
Last edited by acpoa; 10-17-2010 at 02:45 PM.
10-17-2010, 02:55 PM #152
...I think you're overthinking it.
You have no baseband to preserve.
Just update to 4.1.
Limera1n or GreenPois0n, it doesn't matter, it's up to you. They're both in stable statuses now. If you jb first, restoring after will erase the jb, so you're gonna upgrade first. Then run the jb after you upgrade.
Back up your game data photos contacts etc just by right clicking your device and selecting "back up". It should automatically back up when you begin the restore/upgrade but I do it manually just to be safe. Select "transfer purchases" in iTunes (right-click device) as well to move any apps you downloaded on your phone to iTunes so you can resync later.
After your restore to 4.1, you can simply restore from back up then run the jb.
10-18-2010, 11:59 AM #153Ipod touch jailbreak stuck
Thank you for the reply. I backed up my itunes library to a pen drive and then attempted to restore to OS 4.1 following the directions for the jailbroken iPod touch 3rd gen here:
[HOW TO] Jailbreak any iOS Device running any firmware
(used steps Aa, Ba from the link so far.)
This is what I did:
1) Download and install itunes 10.
2) Backup the ipod to itunes (right-clicking the ipod and selecting backup in itunes)
3) Backup the itunes library to flash drive.
4) Click the Restore button in itunes. It downloaded a 370 MB ipsw file name: iPod3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw).
5) itunes then displayes the "extracting" and "verifying the update with Apple" messages
6) itunes then displayed the "preparing your ipod for restore" message for a while, with the bar filling up.
7) itunes displays Error 1602/1604/2002. I repeated the steps four-five times, with the errors changing - 1604 displayed the most times.
8) I have tried the remove cable for the ipod > exit itunes > reattach cable > restore method, and the completely uninstalling itunes and related services then reinstalling method. I have also tried using different USB ports and then restoring. Nothing has helped.
Currently, the ipod shows the USB and itunes CD logo and does not go beyond that. What do I do to bring it back to life, ideally on 4.1, but at the very least back to 3.1.3???
Here are the device specs:
Ipod Touch 3rd Gen 32 GB
Installed OS: 3.1.3
OS 3.1.3 jailbroken using Spirit
When jailbreaking 3.1.3 using spirit, I used the make my life easy button in Cydia to backup the SHSH blobs but I dont know how to proceed with this.
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM #154
Why did you hit restore. Why didn't you just hit upgrade.
10-19-2010, 07:55 AM #155
I followed the steps given in the guide where it says to use Restore (part Ba). The subsequent times, the Upgrade button was greyed out.
However, I have managed to upgrade to 4.1 now, and also jailbreak with Greenpoison. I'm not sure how it happened, but I entered DFU mode (not the USB+itunes screen) and then performed the steps again - It still gave me the error at this point. I just let the ipod stay the way it was for a few minutes after the error, still connected by the cable to itunes. The screen turned white after a while and I tried restoring again and this time it worked!
Quite an ordeal - started the process at 4 pm, managed to upgrade to 4.1 at 11 pm, then two more hours to jailbreak and restore the apps. Finally wound up with everything working fine at 1 a.m. Whew :-)
Thanks for all the help!
10-22-2010, 05:35 AM #156
Hi, I'm sure I will probably recieve abuse for this but i am totally new to jailbreaking, all want to know is if im able to jailbreak my phone with official 4.1 firmware. Could someone please point me in the correct direction?
Any help will be very much appriciated
10-22-2010, 11:47 AM #157
10-23-2010, 04:07 PM #158
10-23-2010, 04:50 PM #159
Perhaps you'll be the candidate to do so
Why update when it's short and simple. All devices currently on 4.1 can be jb via GreenPois0n or Limera1n. Just each tool does the deed for designated devices. When I find free time from work and school, I'll be sure to tend to your very important question and update the PDF, even tho the info is written clearly in the original post.
10-23-2010, 05:30 PM #160
you're right, it is, but being the speed demon and data freak I am, I went "Ooo!" and dived right into the pdf without reading.
I'll update it when it get home and send you the file.